MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Course Conflicts Angoose Academics 5 06-09-2012 05:14 PM
Course Conflicts fffw Academics 6 08-08-2011 05:28 PM
Conflicts??? GCSM First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-09-2010 09:32 PM
Conflicts hellohello Academics 4 06-15-2010 12:26 AM
conflicts Strongwiller Academics 2 09-13-2009 08:08 PM

SOLAR and conflicts

Old 06-19-2012 at 03:13 PM   #1
KS17

Liked: 1 Time

SOLAR and conflicts
Will SOLAR tell me if there is a conflict between courses, before all the sectioning and stuff. I've heard different things, and so I am not sure. I want to add french 2g03, in replace of another course, however, according to the master timetable it conflicts with stats 2b03 (they are both only offered once, and have the same times scheduled). I don't want to lose the course I replace 2g03 with if there is going to be a problem later.
Old 06-19-2012 at 03:23 PM   #2
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS17 View Post
Will SOLAR tell me if there is a conflict between courses, before all the sectioning and stuff. I've heard different things, and so I am not sure. I want to add french 2g03, in replace of another course, however, according to the master timetable it conflicts with stats 2b03 (they are both only offered once, and have the same times scheduled). I don't want to lose the course I replace 2g03 with if there is going to be a problem later.
If the two classes are scheduled at the same time and there is only ONE core there you have to change terms for one of courses or pick another course that doesn't not conflict with your schedule. Make sure to make a mock timetable from the link posted on MacInsiders to see any conflicts. Btw, I had a same problem with my classes and had to switch terms to resolve the conflict.

Last edited by Swampis : 06-19-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-19-2012 at 03:32 PM   #3
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampis View Post
If the two classes are scheduled at the same time and there is only ONE core there you have to change terms for one of courses or pick another course that doesn't not conflict with your schedule. Make sure to make a mock timetable from the link posted on MacInsiders to see any conflicts. Btw, I had a same problem with my classes and had to switch terms to resolve the conflict.
Just because you have a conflict doesnt mean you have to change courses. I think its safe to say that a lot of people have skipped a class here or there. If there is a conflict, it is easy enough to get notes from the missed lecture from a friend in the class. You can also alternate on a weekly basis which class you attend of the two that are conflicting on certain days, that way insuring that you dont get lost in the course material.
Old 06-19-2012 at 03:39 PM   #4
KS17

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampis View Post
I get what you are saying, but the courses are full in the other term. But would SOLAR let me know? Or would it just let me go ahead and sign up for them even though they conflict?
Old 06-19-2012 at 03:43 PM   #5
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS17 View Post
I get what you are saying, but the courses are full in the other term. But would SOLAR let me know? Or would it just let me go ahead and sign up for them even though they conflict?
I think that SOLAR would let you sign up for the course even if there is a conflict and you can do what Chris suggested, alternating between the classes every week and getting notes from others.
Old 06-19-2012 at 06:00 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
Just because you have a conflict doesnt mean you have to change courses. I think its safe to say that a lot of people have skipped a class here or there. If there is a conflict, it is easy enough to get notes from the missed lecture from a friend in the class. You can also alternate on a weekly basis which class you attend of the two that are conflicting on certain days, that way insuring that you dont get lost in the course material.
The Science faculty actually goes through a list of everyone who has conflicts, and tends to make you drop one part way through the term unless there is absolutely no way around the conflict and you really need to take both the courses that term. As a rule, they don't allow conflicts.
It may differ in different faculties, though.

It sucks. Two courses I want to take, overlap by one hour (of the three hours of lecture each week), but I'm still going to have to choose between them.