MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rez Advice fashionqueen Residence & Housing 3 05-21-2010 01:33 PM
Advice?!~ xo.monica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 24 12-24-2009 11:56 AM
Any Advice? pink_cupcake Academics 8 06-28-2009 10:41 PM
some advice please... EngLufLuf General Discussion 16 06-22-2009 10:29 PM
some advice please... kin or bio? sunny General Discussion 9 06-22-2009 10:25 PM

Some help/advice.

Old 10-22-2011 at 04:23 AM   #1
labeeb

Liked: 0 Times

Some help/advice.
So I'm first year life science, and slightly confused...

I looked into a couple things regarding second year opportunities, and i got really interested in the idea of bioinformatics because i have a passion for bio/math/cs.

So i was wondering, does McMaster offer such a second year program?

and how is honours biology in terms of a second year program?

I have two goals that have not yet been destroyed despite what the odds say; Doctor or Professor. and I'm really hoping I can find something that can lead me to either or, and not stay in a place where I'm only down for one choice.

Like i just really want people to share their opinions based on experience.

Thank you.
Old 10-22-2011 at 10:35 AM   #2
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

If you like math and bio, there is "Bio and Math program" http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1532.html
Old 10-22-2011 at 11:47 AM   #3
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

We don't have a proper BioInformatics program, but we do have a few Profs that specialize in it. You might want to talk to one of those Profs and your Academic Advisor to figure out what to do.

http://bio.mcmaster.ca/research/bioinformatics.htm
Old 10-22-2011 at 04:08 PM   #4
labeeb

hmm.. seems interesting.

I took Math 1LS3 only. so that limits my opportunities into that program because they require 6 credits of a math course.

So in terms of honours biology, what exactly does that involve?
Old 10-22-2011 at 04:23 PM   #5
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by labeeb View Post
hmm.. seems interesting.

I took Math 1LS3 only. so that limits my opportunities into that program because they require 6 credits of a math course.

So in terms of honours biology, what exactly does that involve?
You can still take Math 1LT3 and Math 1B03 next semester.
Old 10-22-2011 at 05:18 PM   #6
labeeb

hmm makes sense. i might take it for the summer since my course list is full next sem.
Old 10-22-2011 at 06:32 PM   #7
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

So you want a PhD in Mathematics?

RyanC likes this.
Old 10-23-2011 at 03:52 AM   #8
labeeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryll View Post
new just trying to look into the second year programs ;(
Old 10-23-2011 at 04:54 AM   #9
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

here's what you do. You go into Honours Bio or Honours Life sci doesn't matter and you just take mathy bio courses ESPECIALLY bioinformatics since you love it so much. I think bioinformatics is a good field to get into ONLY if you really really like it cuz that shit is BORING. Also, it's where the money is according to dr. xu
Old 10-29-2011 at 03:00 PM   #10
miatomasi

Liked: 15 Times

When it comes to applying to medical or graduate schools (to become a professor) it's really up to you what you want to take! You could even apply to medical school with an arts degree!

Make sure you're taking what you're interested because in the end, that's what matters.
Grad school is just as competitive as med school so your marks are what is going to count!
If you're interested in bio, go for it! You could always minor in math if you're looking for something like that!

My suggestion would be to look up the courses you'd be taking in upper years. See if they interest you and narrow down your choices accordingly!