MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Upper Engineering Students, I Need Your Advice and Opinion (everyone is welcome tho) Daman K First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 01-07-2010 06:57 PM
Advice for First Year Engineering Students zoyy First Year Success 17 06-25-2009 03:01 PM
Advice For First Year Science Students nisha First Year Success 3 06-24-2008 12:10 PM
Contest For Incoming Soc Sci Students lorend General Discussion 7 08-05-2007 03:41 PM

Some Practical, First-Hand Advice for Incoming Engineering Students @ Mac

BY ANDREW MACDONALD

After having almost completed my first year of engineering here at Mac, I've learned a few things that might help incoming first years going into Eng.

Have as Much Fun as You Can During Frosh Week, and Break Out of Your Shell!
The week when you move into residence, and before classes start, is called Frosh Week. It's really the best time and most fun you're ever going to have in a week at University, and there's no excuse to miss out on any of it. Don't be afraid at all of meeting new/random people.

The Workload Sucks and the Material is Really Really Hard, but it Can be Done.
Frosh Week will unfortunately end, and you'll actually have to start going to classes and do homework. Within a week or two you will realize just how insane the work you do as an engineering student is. And don't kid yourself about the workload at other universities; engineering is hard everywhere.

You share a lot of material with science kids, like physics, chemistry, math (calculus/algebra). But, on top of their workload, as an engineering student you have to take a programming course, a design/sketching/3D modeling course, and a professionalism/ethics/engineering principles course... And two electives.

Health Science kids who needed a 90+ average and tons of extra-curriculars to get in have a smaller workload and course load (at least in first year) than you will.

All I'm saying is that your workload will be very demanding, and you quickly need to go from the party-mode you were in during Frosh Week to a studious, hardworking mindset.

Upper year engineering students (especially the Red Suits) are really friendly and approachable, and more than willing to answer your questions and help you out. The Blue Lounge (the undergraduate engineering student lounge) is immediately to your right, past the double doors in the lobby of JHE, and any upper year engineering student hanging out will more than likely help you out if you have any questions/problems during the year. (Yes, even with homework!)

Fear not, for all is not doom-and-gloom after frosh week!

(P.S. The Final Project in the design course (1C03) is a hellish nightmare to complete (and pass) if you leave it to the last minute, I'M JUST WARNING YOU TO NOT PROCRASTINATE ON THAT ONE ****ING PROJECT!)

Get Involved! (Especially with Engineering!)
McMaster has a HUGE number of clubs, so matter what your interests, getting involved and doing something extracurricular is very easy!

There are also a number of engineering clubs and events throughout the year, so come on out and unwind!

Speaking of engineering clubs, did you know that McMaster is the only school in North America (and probably the world!) whose engineering faculty puts on an engineering musical? That's right! The entire musical is written, choreographed, composed and scored by engineers! The cast, crew, writing team, and band are all engineers! (More info at http://macengmusical.com)
Forgive the obvious plug, but as the male lead last year and current website admin/designer, the Eng Musical has a special place in my heart. If acting/singing/writing etc aren't your thing, at least come out and see a show in March!

Hope this helps somehow. But honestly, coming to Mac was a great decision for me, and hopefully it will be for you to!

Enge, ThagsanaR like this.
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 04-15-2010 at 08:44 AM   #2
Forthex
Program: Electrical & Computer Engineering
Year: Second

Liked: 3 Times
Almost forgot! There's a facebook group for incoming all incoming McMaster students, and one for new engineering students!

McMaster '14:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi... 87904&ref=ts

McMaster Engineering '14:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=...10364125658232

Post your comments/questions/concerns and someone will answer!

Enge likes this.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 04-15-2010 at 09:12 AM   #3
mike_302
Elite Member
Program: Engineering & Society
Year: Other

Liked: 422 Times
Oh McDonald... You would rep the musical Great post though. Sums up the year of a successful engineering student.
Old 04-15-2010 at 01:33 PM   #4
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy
Program: Software Engineering
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 1,656 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forthex View Post
The Workload Sucks and the Material is Really Really Hard, but it Can be Done...
If you think that's hard, prepare to get raped in second year, lol.

Old 04-15-2010 at 01:47 PM   #5
niteskie
Elite Member
Program: Psycholinguistics

Liked: 45 Times
You should submit this as an article. It would be a great addition to our first year success section.
Old 04-15-2010 at 03:50 PM   #6
BlakeM
Elite Member
Program: Mechanical Engineering
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 121 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
If you think that's hard, prepare to get raped in second year, lol.
I second this. I thought the difficulty overall was a joke first year compared to second year.
Old 04-15-2010 at 04:40 PM   #7
temptingf8
Elite Member
Program: Energy Engineering Technologies (Renewable)

Liked: 129 Times
[Shameless Plug]

MecVT is always looking for interested new members! You will see us at Frosh Week with the Carpool -- yes, a hot tub installed in the back of a 1995 Chevy Caprice wagon.

[/Shameless Plug]
Old 04-15-2010 at 04:51 PM   #8
etoilex3
Program: Anthropology
Residence: Les Prince

Liked: 65 Times
As a first year health sci, I don't think it's fair for you to comment on our work loads in trying to give 'engineers' advice.
I've had more group meetings this year than you probably will in your life.
Old 04-15-2010 at 05:05 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niteskie View Post
You should submit this as an article. It would be a great addition to our first year success section.
I've moved the location of the post so it is now considered an article.

Danielle
MacInsiders VP Admin

And just a note to all other users: we would love to hear your stories and experiences so please submit them to us!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-15-2010 at 05:50 PM   #10
mike_302
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoilex3 View Post
As a first year health sci, I don't think it's fair for you to comment on our work loads in trying to give 'engineers' advice.
I can't speak for the poster, but for myself, I rarely see local H. Sci residents doing work. There are many times I've seen them going out in the middle of the week, several times in the same week. BEAR IN MIND THAT I'M NOT STARTING A WAR OF WHETHER A FACULTY DOES ANY WORK! I'm simply saying that, if they do more work than engineers in first year, then they've either:

a) Invented a time machine
OR
b) Figured out how to work without ANY sleep

And the course load seems excessively small! Eng I, each term, consists of Chem/Materials, Physics, Calculus (far more advanced than health sci has), an elective, professional engineering class, and either design or programming. Their are labs and tutorials for more than one of those classes in each term, and weekly assignments to keep up on.

I have a few health sci friends: They admit they don't have too much work due weekly, or as frequent tests, or even as many exams as us! And they will admit their physics isn't as hard as ours, or their math. They HAVE expressed to me the overwhelming number of group meetings, but frankly, you can't say engineers aren't going to have many meetings in their life. The goal of an engineer is to design and communicate that design. "Group meetings" are for students. "Meetings" and "presentations" are for working professionals in the real world (outside of school).
Old 04-15-2010 at 06:01 PM   #11
Boolean
Program: Mechatronics Engineering

Liked: 169 Times
Might I add to this list. Don't leave math homeworks to the last minute, those suggested problems build up FAST.

Also, Run, run while you still can.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

alvarez91, micadjems like this.
Old 04-15-2010 at 07:33 PM   #12
etoilex3
Program: Anthropology
Residence: Les Prince

Liked: 65 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
I can't speak for the poster, but for myself, I rarely see local H. Sci residents doing work. There are many times I've seen them going out in the middle of the week, several times in the same week. BEAR IN MIND THAT I'M NOT STARTING A WAR OF WHETHER A FACULTY DOES ANY WORK! I'm simply saying that, if they do more work than engineers in first year, then they've either:

a) Invented a time machine
OR
b) Figured out how to work without ANY sleep

And the course load seems excessively small! Eng I, each term, consists of Chem/Materials, Physics, Calculus (far more advanced than health sci has), an elective, professional engineering class, and either design or programming. Their are labs and tutorials for more than one of those classes in each term, and weekly assignments to keep up on.

I have a few health sci friends: They admit they don't have too much work due weekly, or as frequent tests, or even as many exams as us! And they will admit their physics isn't as hard as ours, or their math. They HAVE expressed to me the overwhelming number of group meetings, but frankly, you can't say engineers aren't going to have many meetings in their life. The goal of an engineer is to design and communicate that design. "Group meetings" are for students. "Meetings" and "presentations" are for working professionals in the real world (outside of school).
Okay so if you're not trying to start a war, all I'm trying to say is don't make assumptions about something you clearly know nothing about since you're not in health sciences.
For your information, the physics and calculus courses that health sciences choose to take are ELECTIVES. Every health sci has a slightly different work load based on the electives they decide to take.

While there are some periods of times where there is not too much stress/ things due:: projects, essays, midterms, and assessments often pile up and lead to a lot of work..

What do you think we do at our group meetings, having tea together? We are designing complicated and complex projects, most of which are related to real world research applications. Most of the assignments we do are designed for the REAL WORLD. They help us learn LIFE SKILLS, which group work definitely is as many professions including medical, business, law etc. HEAVILY involve working together in a group. We're not learning to sit in a lecture and take notes, memorize books, or do physics problems a million times, we're leaving life skills.

Consider giving opinions on something you know about, like engineering.

And we are the faculty that never sleeps.
Old 04-15-2010 at 07:45 PM   #13
Taunton
Elite Member
Program: Life Science & Geographic Information Systems
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
6chars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baww.jpg (35.8 KB, 35 views)

Old 04-15-2010 at 07:51 PM   #14
mike_302
Elite Member

Woah, easy on the hostility a bit. Sorry if I hurt you, but for the sake of the frosh next year, I am agreeing with the OP. More often than not, there are times when a first year engineer is stuck in a study room to get a passing grade on a physics or math test, and one, two, or many people in various faculties (including, but not limited to, health sci, as the OP said) will walk by, some faculties will complain that their 18-20 hours of class a week is TERRIBLY difficult to time-manage. But FOR THE FROSH, don't be discouraged. Just keep working! You'll get your time
Old 04-15-2010 at 07:54 PM   #15
Enge
Program: Computer Engineering & Society

Liked: 1 Time
Quote:
For your information, the physics and calculus courses that health sciences choose to take are ELECTIVES.
Meaning that they are OPTIONAL, and a less masochistic student will maybe choose an arts or econ course as their elective. And I know from several kin/health sci friends of mine (in first year) who take calculus stop at an earlier unit than us (integrals) while we keep plowing through.

And Andrew is just talking about first year. We all know how competitive Health Sci gets in upper years (and we've heard the horror stories). Engineering seems to linearly increase the course-rape factor as you progress year by year, while health-sci seams to exponentially increase. (Burning notebooks, etc.)

Article Tools