MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Upper Engineering Students, I Need Your Advice and Opinion (everyone is welcome tho) Daman K First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 01-07-2010 06:57 PM
Advice for First Year Engineering Students zoyy First Year Success 17 06-25-2009 03:01 PM
Advice For First Year Science Students nisha First Year Success 3 06-24-2008 12:10 PM
Contest For Incoming Soc Sci Students lorend General Discussion 7 08-05-2007 03:41 PM

Some Practical, First-Hand Advice for Incoming Engineering Students @ Mac

Old 04-16-2010 at 06:37 AM   #45
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy
Program: Software Engineering
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 1,656 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSLYR View Post
design a rooftop rainwater harvester, decide it's impractical, then bury it in the ground instead. And then decide it's better to mount it on a helicopter to eat the clouds and have really long dangling straws so the people of Saharan Africa can just reach up and take a sip as it soars overhead.
1P03 project?
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 04-16-2010 at 08:36 AM   #46
Lois
Elite Member
Year: Alumni
Residence: off campus

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
That is not true, McDonalds and Burger King are always hiring you guys.

Every time an engineer gets hired, 100 artsies get their spatula.

hahaha in one of the bathrooms in the arts maze someone wrote "Good luck on exams" and below it someone else wrote "Good luck making my Baconator"
I'm not an Arts Student, but okay.
Old 04-16-2010 at 08:52 AM   #47
Hallandale
Program: Engineering & Management

Liked: 16 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossclot View Post
That is not true, McDonalds and Burger King are always hiring you guys.

Every time an engineer gets hired, 100 artsies get their spatula.

hahaha in one of the bathrooms in the arts maze someone wrote "Good luck on exams" and below it someone else wrote "Good luck making my Baconator"
You're hilarious.
I'm speechless here, basking in the glow of your stellar wit.

I wish engineers would just drop the whole "Artsies are going to flip burgers" thing. It was funny for like, 15 seconds, during frosh week. But to honestly think that people graduating with a BA instead of a B.Eng are going to end up all working jobs like that (not that there's anything wrong with flipping burgers!) is just ignorant.

It brings me to the point that I wanted to add to this:
Make sure your year has balance.
Because of the workload, and the fact that people in the faculty have it too, your study partners will be your friends. Which creates a bit of a social bubble. (Which is only strengthened by a huge amount of faculty pride). Just because you're in engineering, doesn't mean you have to hang out with only engineers and go to only engineering events.

I urge you to get involved in other ways in the school, rather than just going to engineering events and doing engineering clubs. Don't get me wrong, Engineering events and clubs are cool. But McMaster has so much more to offer.

Find friends in other faculties, not just engineering. A lot of engineering articles say to go to engineering events to meet people to help you study and get by and whatnot.

You need balance.
If you're only concerned about academics, you can look at it this way:
Once you get out into the workforce, you're going to be working with all sorts of people, not just engineers. I daresay some of the most successful engineers don't even interact with engineers on a daily basis. Learn to work with different personality types and people with different interests. It will set you up for longterm success.

Iman, Lois like this.
Old 04-16-2010 at 08:56 AM   #48
Mahratta
Elite Member
Program: -
Year: Other

Liked: 366 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
I have a few health sci friends: They admit they don't have too much work due weekly, or as frequent tests, or even as many exams as us! And they will admit their physics isn't as hard as ours, or their math.
This is the only bit I have qualms with. As far as I know, health science students take the Math 1A03 / 1AA3 combination and the physics 1B03 / 1BB3 (or 1BA3) combination. The physics courses are the same courses physics majors take, and the math courses are (basically, with less proofwork) the same courses math majors take, minus 1B03. While I do know that the engineering courses (1Z04,1ZZ5) cover different material than the math courses (1A03,1AA3,1B03), I highly doubt that one is 'easier' than the other. If anything, I'd expect the courses for math majors to be more mathematically challenging than the application-based courses for engineers.
The same applies for physics - engineers cover different material their year of physics than physical science students do (very different, in the second course), but I highly doubt once again that the engineering physics is any harder than the physics for physics majors.

Now, if they were taking Math 1LS3 or physics 1L03, then your point definitely stands.

Old 04-16-2010 at 09:26 AM   #49
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
As far as I know, health science students take the Math 1A03 / 1AA3 combination and the physics 1B03 / 1BB3 (or 1BA3) combination.
They can take them as electives. They don't have to take them if they don't want.

Quote:
While I do know that the engineering courses (1Z04,1ZZ5) cover different material than the math courses (1A03,1AA3,1B03), I highly doubt that one is 'easier' than the other. If anything, I'd expect the courses for math majors to be more mathematically challenging than the application-based courses for engineers.
What makes them hard is that unlike in a true math course where you just learn about one thing (i.e. linear algebra), we get a million things (which are sometimes completely unrelated) thrown at us with only maybe one lecture max spent on each.

So in other words, it's harder in the way it's taught....

I'm still lost as to how vector calculus and partial differential equations fit together in one course... lol

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 04-16-2010 at 09:31 AM.

BlakeM likes this.
Old 04-16-2010 at 09:50 AM   #50
micadjems
Awesome Member
Program: Materials Engineering & Society
Residence: Brandon Hall (06-07)

Liked: 382 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forthex View Post
I do not agree at all with removing bias from my article; this is an article by a first year engineer, specifically for new first year engineering students in the fall. I'm sure many of you all know, we have biases against other faculties. The Red Suits during Frosh week taught me this well, and now that I will be a Red Suit / Engineering Frosh Controller in the fall, I feel I must pass this on, as well as all other aspects of Engineering culture. The biases and jabs are, of course, playful and non-harmful in nature, but they're there and are an integral part of the Engineering experience.

Andrew, I just dont know if I can agree with this part. We try to do a good job to let everyone know that jabs we pull on frosh week are for frosh week and fun only - we dont actually feel that way about artsies, even though some of them may fit the stereotype, obviously all of them do not.

I do not feel that teaching first years that other students just don't work as hard as us is an "intergral part of the eng experience". It just doesnt sit right with me :/

_____________________ ____________________

Unrelated to that: I have actually found my engineering years getting easier. I feel like my courses are more specific and relate to each other, and I have found how I work and pass courses better

Old 04-16-2010 at 11:09 AM   #51
mike_302
Elite Member
Program: Engineering & Society

Liked: 422 Times
I love how people are still talking about the health sci thing and trying to argue for or against it It was already said: This is an engineering thread. Not a place where other faculties try to prove to themselves that all the engineering courses are the same difficulty as theirs...

Anyways, about the math thing: It's going to be different next year, with 3 courses, splitting some of that "non-sense" and confusion into 3 courses. Maybe then you won't go from integrals to complex numbers, then to polar coordinates, and then matrices, literally with a couple days between each topic
Old 04-16-2010 at 11:18 AM   #52
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
I love how people are still talking about the health sci thing and trying to argue for or against it It was already said: This is an engineering thread. Not a place where other faculties try to prove to themselves that all the engineering courses are the same difficulty as theirs...

Anyways, about the math thing: It's going to be different next year, with 3 courses, splitting some of that "non-sense" and confusion into 3 courses. Maybe then you won't go from integrals to complex numbers, then to polar coordinates, and then matrices, literally with a couple days between each topic
btw, are Math 1Z04 and 1ZZ5 still entirely multiple choice for exams and tests?
Old 04-16-2010 at 11:20 AM   #53
mike_302
Elite Member
Program: Engineering & Society

Liked: 422 Times
yea :( well, 2 marks on the exam to know your name
Old 04-16-2010 at 11:22 AM   #54
khaotic
Program: Mechanical Engineering

Liked: 18 Times
Quote:
Lol the free marks for version numbers to?

I miss those...

Quote:
I'm still lost as to how vector calculus and partial differential equations fit together in one course... lol
Honestly... I have no idea why we didn't learn Fourier series and then PDE's. Instead he decided to teach one at the start and one at the end. Then he decided to stick a bunch of random vector calc topics between them... O_o

Last edited by khaotic : 04-16-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-16-2010 at 11:28 AM   #55
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Oh weird, some first year just wrote a review on Math 1ZZ5 about how tests are marked fairly... which I find weird when it's multiple choice.
Old 04-16-2010 at 03:12 PM   #56
JKSLYR
Program: Mechatronics Engineering
Year: Fifth

Liked: 19 Times
I don't like to be unfair to other faculties.

But engineering is so damn cool.
Old 04-16-2010 at 03:26 PM   #57
Rossclot
Program: Engineering (General)
Year: First

Liked: 137 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallandale View Post
You're hilarious.

I wish engineers would just drop the whole "Artsies are going to flip burgers" thing. It was funny for like, 15 seconds, during frosh week. But to honestly think that people graduating with a BA instead of a B.Eng are going to end up all working jobs like that (not that there's anything wrong with flipping burgers!) is just ignorant.

Calm down mike it's a joke. If you compare both degrees, engineering teaches you a skill specific to your stream, and you probably end up working in that field. Having a BA teaches you skills, but your job will probably not be related to your stream. There is a large number of people who graduate with BA who return to college to learn a trade because finding work with a BA is much harder. Those who dont typically dont use the knowledge they learned in their jobs, but the reading and writing skills they learned. There are of course a lot of exceptions, but in general you wont be working in the field your BA was in.

The spatula references are part of a long tradition of fraternity between the faculties. A wise person I know once mentioned that it was like playful fighting between siblings. If the spatula jokes really bother you, you should try to relax a bit more and be more accepting of other people. This stuff is about being friends with everyone, not turning your nose up at people. We are all in the same boat, after all.
Old 04-16-2010 at 06:59 PM   #58
JBeans
Program: Materials Science & Engineering
Residence: Matthews (06-08), SOCS (08-10)

Liked: 14 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
Unrelated to that: I have actually found my engineering years getting easier. I feel like my courses are more specific and relate to each other, and I have found how I work and pass courses better
I thought it was getting easier too, until this last year. The last 6 weeks have been a killer with all the final projects all due in the same week, right at the very end. By the time you get close to the end, I find the work isn't hard, its just the volume of work to do. Too many hours in Thode for me (and I already basically live there).

Jackie, piece of advice for next year...start EARLY! Nothing is too early with Matls 4Z06 and 4L04 to finish at the end (but I heard the 2 terms are getting swapped next year in 4L)
Old 04-16-2010
mike_302
This message has been removed by a moderator. .

Article Tools