MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Upper Engineering Students, I Need Your Advice and Opinion (everyone is welcome tho) Daman K First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 01-07-2010 06:57 PM
Advice for First Year Engineering Students zoyy First Year Success 17 06-25-2009 03:01 PM
Advice For First Year Science Students nisha First Year Success 3 06-24-2008 12:10 PM
Contest For Incoming Soc Sci Students lorend General Discussion 7 08-05-2007 03:41 PM

Some Practical, First-Hand Advice for Incoming Engineering Students @ Mac

Old 04-16-2010 at 12:00 AM   #30
Penguin
Program: Health Sciences
Year: Second

Liked: 1 Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by etoilex3 View Post
Okay so if you're not trying to start a war, all I'm trying to say is don't make assumptions about something you clearly know nothing about since you're not in health sciences.
For your information, the physics and calculus courses that health sciences choose to take are ELECTIVES. Every health sci has a slightly different work load based on the electives they decide to take.

While there are some periods of times where there is not too much stress/ things due:: projects, essays, midterms, and assessments often pile up and lead to a lot of work..

What do you think we do at our group meetings, having tea together? We are designing complicated and complex projects, most of which are related to real world research applications. Most of the assignments we do are designed for the REAL WORLD. They help us learn LIFE SKILLS, which group work definitely is as many professions including medical, business, law etc. HEAVILY involve working together in a group. We're not learning to sit in a lecture and take notes, memorize books, or do physics problems a million times, we're leaving life skills.

Consider giving opinions on something you know about, like engineering.

And we are the faculty that never sleeps.
If you think first year health sci is hard, you better drop out now.

First year health sci hands down has infinitely less work than ENG I to begin with. In addition, regardless of what electives you choose, the work load is still ridiculously easy in comparison.

Secondly, if you think first year health science is hard, you better drop out now before second year. Or else you might die of sleep deprivation or something.

It is true health scis do learn alot of life skills in classes, but the # of hours spent in group meetings in very minimal in first year. Meetings hardly go over 3 or 4 hours for the most part.

So in conclusion, don't try to compare Health Sci I to Eng I. Health sci is a first year freebee in terms of grades. The amount of extra time you have during exam season alone, due to the lack of exams in 2/5 courses per semester, is enough reason to show that health scis have more than enough time to ace all their classes first year.

FrankMiljour likes this.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 04-16-2010 at 12:00 AM   #31
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy
Program: Software Engineering
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 1,656 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forthex View Post
But, what I'm saying is that the work one has to do in first year engineering is a HUGE step up from high school.
I didn't find it that big of a jump. Some classes I even found easier than my high school versions (Chem 1E03). It doesn't take long to figure out you have to do work either. I realized I actually had to do work right after I failed the 1Z04 midterm :p.

Quote:
...the dreaded "Freshman 15"...
Has anyone actually lost weight since they got here? I find I forget to eat food unless someone tells me a lot :/.
Old 04-16-2010
Ownaginatios
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 04-16-2010
Penguin
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 04-16-2010 at 12:09 AM   #32
crazyfree
Elite Member
Year: Alumni

Liked: 284 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
If you think first year health sci is hard, you better drop out now.

First year health sci hands down has infinitely less work than ENG I to begin with. In addition, regardless of what electives you choose, the work load is still ridiculously easy in comparison.

Secondly, if you think first year health science is hard, you better drop out now before second year. Or else you might die f sleep deprivation or something.

It is true health scis do learn alot of life skills in classes, but the # of hours spent in group meetings in very minimal in first year. Meetings hardly go over 3 or 4 hours for the most part.

So in conclusion, don't try to compare Health Sci I to Eng I. Health sci is a first year freebee in terms of grades. The amount of extra time you have during exam season alone, due to the lack of exams in 2/5 courses per semester, is enough reason to show that health scis have more than enough time to ace all their classes first year.
...then I think the majority of the first year class is going to drop out then lol . Cellbio this year was different from other years...aka way more killer. ...and the majority of us have experienced much MUCH more than 3 or 4 hour meetings. ..I'd say 3 or 4 minimum tbh...I had up to 16 hours. /shrugs
Sorry I know this is off the original topic, and I totally agree the Eng I is super hard...but I agree with the other hlthsci first years in here that I don't think first year healthsci was easy(though not as hard as others perhaps). Maybe I'm just dumb though ahaha
Old 04-16-2010 at 12:15 AM   #33
Penguin
Year: Second

Liked: 1 Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
...then I think the majority of the first year class is going to drop out then lol . Cellbio this year was different from other years...aka way more killer. ...and the majority of us have experienced much MUCH more than 3 or 4 hour meetings. ..I'd say 3 or 4 minimum tbh...I had up to 16 hours. /shrugs
Sorry I know this is off the original topic, and I totally agree the Eng I is super hard...but I agree with the other first years in here that I don't think it was easy. Maybe I'm just dumb though ahaha
People complain about cell bio getting harder every year. From my knowledge it has not gotten more difficult this year. The averages on TRIPSEs are about the same as before; I think it's because people expect to 12 everything based on their studying, but that is not the case in this course. I tutored a student earlier this year in that course, and from everything I heard the grading is the same difficulty, and the course content is the same difficulty.

I dunno which course you're doing 16 hour meetings for, but I can tell you now you're overdoing it. I recall the average being 5-6 hours of meetings per week per class.
Old 04-16-2010 at 12:19 AM   #34
khaotic
Program: Mechanical Engineering

Liked: 18 Times
Quote:
As for those of you in upper year engineering saying second year and beyond is harder than first year, I have to agree with out. But, what I'm saying is that the work one has to do in first year engineering is a HUGE step up from high school. In second year, you have some familiarity to fall back on: you go to the same school as you did the year before, your work ethic should be roughly the same as it was when you ended the previous year.

I personally think the jump to a completely new school setting and lifestyle for a lot of students, even as welcoming as Frosh week is, is still very jarring. Home vs residence, campus food vs home cooking (the dreaded "Freshman 15"), etc. Also, the work output one does in high school vs first year Engineering can be staggering. Two weeks after Frosh Week, it finally sunk in for me that Engineering was as hard and insane as everyone said it would be, and maybe even more so.
Personally I found that engineering was put on a pedestal by everyone I talked to. They made it sound like the most difficult thing ever. But I didn't find it as bad as everyone claimed it to be. But that's just my opinion! I always tell new engineering students not to listen to what others says and just work hard! You'll get through it with ease if you just try . Haha but I guess I do agree with you about the frosh experience, it was fun last year. I guess I've just developed a mutual respect for every faculty after befriending various people. It still troubles me that all the bias carries on even after first year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I realized I actually had to do work right after I failed the 1Z04 midterm :p..
2nd midterm? Haha I remember doing terrible on that one too... At least I was able to come out with a good mark in that class. Thanks to the low weighting of that test
Old 04-16-2010 at 12:33 AM   #35
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaotic View Post
2nd midterm? Haha I remember doing terrible on that one too... At least I was able to come out with a good mark in that class. Thanks to the low weighting of that test
Ya, the second one, lol. Luckily I didn't suffer too badly, thanks to the last test and the final exam being pretty easy.

I think that's the hardest I've been owned in university so far.
Old 04-16-2010 at 12:50 AM   #36
Lois
Elite Member
Year: Alumni
Residence: off campus

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enge View Post
Meaning that they are OPTIONAL, and a less masochistic student will maybe choose an arts or econ course as their elective. And I know from several kin/health sci friends of mine (in first year) who take calculus stop at an earlier unit than us (integrals) while we keep plowing through.
It's actually more difficult to do well in (subjective) Arts courses. Physics and math are supposedly brutal in workload (not as brutal as Eng Math/Physics), but it's definitely easier to get a 12 in physics than a 12 in English/Philosophy course. To get a '10+' on an essay, it needed to be publication quality according to my prof.

Anyways, all faculties have their difficulties. Engineering is probably the most work-intensive, but apparently it's easy to get a job after you graduate.
Old 04-16-2010 at 01:01 AM   #37
forever0zero
Program: Mechanical & Management
Year: Third

Liked: 39 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Ya, the second one, lol. Luckily I didn't suffer too badly, thanks to the last test and the final exam being pretty easy.

I think that's the hardest I've been owned in university so far.
not even 2zz3 midterm 2?

last year, i didn't realized i had to keep up with the work until the first midterm came along, i think it was math 1z04, then i was like oh shit i better start doing the problems now
Old 04-16-2010 at 01:03 AM   #38
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever0zero View Post
not even 2zz3 midterm 2?
I guessed really well for that one (60% :p).
Old 04-16-2010 at 02:54 AM   #39
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Masters

Liked: 633 Times
Our projects involve real research skills, where you are required to face primary academic sources such as scientific journal articles. You don't normally do that in first year.

Psych 1XX3 - 1700 students did precisely that for a term.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 04-16-2010 at 04:03 AM   #40
Rossclot
Program: Engineering (General)
Year: First

Liked: 137 Times
My advice:

1) You might not be able to call yourself an engineer until you get PEO certification, but the second school starts, you have to act like one. Every idea you don't master puts someone's life in danger, every question you get wrong and don't look over puts someone's life in danger. Would you design a bridge all hung-over? Then why would you come to the class that teaches you how to build a bridge when you are hung-over. Arrange your partying and school accordingly. This might sound like a lot of pressure, but you are ready for it, you just have to step up and take this responsibility. It instills in you the pride and courage required to know the decisions you make could kill people, but you tackle the problems because of what is at stake, not despite it.

2) Professors dont teach you, you teach yourself. Your professors lead you through material, textbooks explain material, assignments work through material, but it is up to you to teach yourself the material. Go outside of what you are required to do and get a good grasp of the material. When you become and engineer you will have to teach yourself more things than you can imagine, so learn how to do it well now.

3) Being a good engineer is much more than technical skills. Your classes will cover your technical skills, but will teach you nothing about communication, being responsible, taking initiative, leadership, or working on a team. Join student groups to learn this. Dont over do it though, one or two is good enough for one academic year. I would suggest one eng group, and one non-eng group. (The sciences [esp. biology-ish stuff] is a haven for attractive, smart, non-crazy women). As a wise woman once told me (paraphrasing here) "You might think you dont have enough time to make a commitment to a group, but you will find that it will eat into the time you waste procrastinating, not your actual homework time" - Danielle Maitland in the Plumbline

4) Failing happens. Repeating courses happens. Be committed to your goal, rearrange your game plan and jump back on the horse. If you know what engineers do, and you want to be one, fight to get there. In the end, your determination and experiences will make you a more valuable asset then those with technical knowledge alone.

Party well, enjoy what you do, and visit the lounge often.

Oh yeah, and in highschool you were one of the smart kids, we all were. You no doubt competed with other people to be the smartest, bragging about how you put in no work and get great marks. Trying to make everyone think you are incredibly smart and the academic work is beneath you. Leave that in highschool. The only thing that will get you in university is every other engineering student hating you for acting like a child. If you fail something, admit to it. Others probably failed too, you can commiserate together, make other people and yourself feel better. Plus if you act like you get everything, the person who does understand wont offer to help you.

final bit of advice: after an exam, like right after when you walk out ... DONT TALK ABOUT THE DAMN EXAM. Wait until you get it back to check things over, when you leave the exam room your brain should be doing one of two things
1)What other homework do I have to slave away on tonight
2)Beer or food , now

Hit up the Pheonix or jump on the bus towards downtown and get some shawarma nazi. Ask me about the Shawarma nazi if you see me around, I will show you the path to deliciousness.

Remember your training, and you WILL make it out alive.

Old 04-16-2010 at 04:07 AM   #41
Rossclot
Program: Engineering (General)
Year: First

Liked: 137 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

Anyways, all faculties have their difficulties. Engineering is probably the most work-intensive, but apparently it's easy to get a job after you graduate.

That is not true, McDonalds and Burger King are always hiring you guys.

Every time an engineer gets hired, 100 artsies get their spatula.

hahaha in one of the bathrooms in the arts maze someone wrote "Good luck on exams" and below it someone else wrote "Good luck making my Baconator"

Forthex, mike_302 like this.
Old 04-16-2010 at 06:24 AM   #42
JKSLYR
Program: Mechatronics Engineering
Year: Fifth

Liked: 19 Times
Back in my day, we had two calculus courses and an algebra course, instead of this newfangled Z-thing. /oldmanrant

And as for group meetings, you have no idea what it's like until you sit down and design a rooftop rainwater harvester, decide it's impractical, then bury it in the ground instead. And then decide it's better to mount it on a helicopter to eat the clouds and have really long dangling straws so the people of Saharan Africa can just reach up and take a sip as it soars overhead.

Article Tools