when does classes start? Imtiaz Academics 12 09-04-2010 09:37 PM
When does school start jordan19 Academics 5 08-21-2010 09:18 PM
When do Labs start? Allan Academics 2 12-30-2008 11:57 PM
Looking To Start A Club? Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-27-2008 01:36 AM

when to start looking

Old 03-18-2011 at 03:29 PM   #31
lifesciman1

Liked: 59 Times

I have looked up a 2 bedroom place at woodland apts. would you guys recomend it? its 800 bucks for rent and we are splitting 4 ways.

And regarding res. i really dont get what the point is?Even if I live off campus it will be max 15 mins away, and I will be coming home to basically sleep. How does res help you make friends??? its not like I will be fooling around all night in res of something. And I saw the traditional dorms and they are SMALL. And what is up with the ceilings...so low. I felt really tight in there. Over all the school was amazing though, so I think off campus is a way to get the most out of my time at mac.
Old 03-18-2011 at 03:46 PM   #32
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
Impressive. Yea thinking back, I think I spend a lot on fresh meats and random stuff like Yogurts (gawd so expensive) and Mango Juice.

What do you eat the tuna with? Bread or rice?
Where do you see bread or rice in my list of things I buy... XDDD
I eat it with my veggies for dinner. Just give it a quick fry to get it warm.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 03-19-2011
lmno098
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-19-2011 at 12:31 PM   #33
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Where do you see bread or rice in my list of things I buy... XDDD
I eat it with my veggies for dinner. Just give it a quick fry to get it warm.
I didn't see it that is why I asked. I'm used to having anything with some starch (rice bread or noodle) so I was curious why you didn't list any.

Following your suite would save me a lot of calories...
Old 03-19-2011 at 12:58 PM   #34
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
I didn't see it that is why I asked. I'm used to having anything with some starch (rice bread or noodle) so I was curious why you didn't list any.

Following your suite would save me a lot of calories...
Yea, I substituted potatos/bread (which was like a staple for me >_>) for the eggs, peanuts, tuna. Trying to cut out the carbs (except for breakfast) and get more protein. I was at no protein before this (besides like, a teaspon of peanut butter lol)

Yea, I think I get less than 1000 calories/day now. IDK, I like easy to prepare items and I wouldn't mind getting like 300 more calories in a day, I just don't have any ideas as to what else I can buy.

I suppose maybe something like granola bars as snacks, but I don't imagine them to be filling (or even able to "hold me over"), & I hate spending money on "junk" food.

idk.

anyone have any ideas? lol. looking for mainly snacks or breakfast/lunch additions.. my dinner is pretty set.

I hate jellos, puddings, gummy/jelly/chewy/sour things, yogurt, beef.

Old 03-19-2011 at 01:04 PM   #35
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
I think I get less than 1000 calories/day now.
Oh my gosh! You must be thin as a stick. Recommended calories for me is 2500 daily.
Old 03-19-2011 at 01:25 PM   #36
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Oh my gosh! You must be thin as a stick. Recommended calories for me is 2500 daily.
Lol, no. I'm a tub of lard. I'm pretty much the only person in the world who can eat this little and not be anorexic.

./life

Old 03-19-2011 at 02:20 PM   #37
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Yea, I substituted potatos/bread (which was like a staple for me >_>) for the eggs, peanuts, tuna. Trying to cut out the carbs (except for breakfast) and get more protein. I was at no protein before this (besides like, a teaspon of peanut butter lol)

Yea, I think I get less than 1000 calories/day now. IDK, I like easy to prepare items and I wouldn't mind getting like 300 more calories in a day, I just don't have any ideas as to what else I can buy.

I suppose maybe something like granola bars as snacks, but I don't imagine them to be filling (or even able to "hold me over"), & I hate spending money on "junk" food.

idk.

anyone have any ideas? lol. looking for mainly snacks or breakfast/lunch additions.. my dinner is pretty set.

I hate jellos, puddings, gummy/jelly/chewy/sour things, yogurt, beef.

Granola bars are the most overrated things. They aren't filling in the least, and they're not that healthy either.

In terms of snacks, I don't know how you feel about things like dried fruit/nuts. Stuff like dried figs, dried apricots, walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, peanuts are really good. What you can also do is make bars of your own from some of that stuff. Take, lets say, almonds+walnuts+peanu ts, cover them with as much honey as you want, bake it in the oven, and let it cool.

....these are the most hippie suggestions ever LOL. If you're feeling a bit Christopher McCandless one day, go to the Cootes area behind Bates and eat the fruit from the grape vines and blueberry bushes.

~earthchild~
Old 03-19-2011 at 02:37 PM   #38
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
Granola bars are the most overrated things. They aren't filling in the least, and they're not that healthy either.

In terms of snacks, I don't know how you feel about things like dried fruit/nuts. Stuff like dried figs, dried apricots, walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, peanuts are really good. What you can also do is make bars of your own from some of that stuff. Take, lets say, almonds+walnuts+peanu ts, cover them with as much honey as you want, bake it in the oven, and let it cool.

....these are the most hippie suggestions ever LOL. If you're feeling a bit Christopher McCandless one day, go to the Cootes area behind Bates and eat the fruit from the grape vines and blueberry bushes.

~earthchild~
Almonds and Walnuts are expensive though.
Old 03-19-2011 at 02:59 PM   #39
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Almonds and Walnuts are expensive though.

That is true. When I'm buying a food item that is relatively expensive, I look at how long it's going to last me. A bag of almonds and walnuts should last you a month or more, depending on how many you eat (shouldn't be more than 6 a day anyway). Which is why it's annoying how expensive seafood is, considering how fast it's consumed. Sigh.

You can always buy stuff like that from Bulk Barn too, in whatever amount you want, adjusted to fit your budget.
Old 03-19-2011 at 03:05 PM   #40
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
That is true. When I'm buying a food item that is relatively expensive, I look at how long it's going to last me. A bag of almonds and walnuts should last you a month or more, depending on how many you eat (shouldn't be more than 6 a day anyway). Which is why it's annoying how expensive seafood is, considering how fast it's consumed. Sigh.

You can always buy stuff like that from Bulk Barn too, in whatever amount you want, adjusted to fit your budget.
You eat 6 nuts per day? Talk about self control.
Old 03-19-2011 at 03:05 PM   #41
AlexBatt

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesciman1 View Post
I think off campus is a way to get the most out of my time at mac.
i would disagree. one of my friends thought she would be saving money and got all excited about living in a house first year, however, after the first month she said she hated it.

while i cant give much insight into why she said that, i can only say that res benefits you (a first year) more than anything.

on one hand, you may be paying (slightly) a bit more, theres the added convenience that allows you to adjust to the transitiion of university life. I myself wouldnt really know how to deal with the large gaps in time between classes if i was off campus. walking back and forth, or simply just staying in the student centre may be no problem for people - but i would much rather head back to the comfort of my room after class.

the social aspect is great too; you get to meet a lot of new people. I purposely didnt want to live with anyone i knew - just wanted to get to know as many people as i could. you would have a lot more fun on res (i think) opposed to off campus first. school isnt just about getting your work done, and i wouldnt say your average will suffer because of res.

at any rate, if you can go on res, you should, everyone should be able to experience it once. i dont know anyone whos regretted it - cant say the same about off campus though

alh24, Stock like this.
Old 03-19-2011 at 03:10 PM   #42
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:

I suppose I could just add another 1/4 cup of peanuts (already do 1/4 at lunch), which is another 240 calories. Just worried about the high fat content. I'm dumb and go for the blanched peanuts...nomnomnom.

Old 03-19-2011 at 03:35 PM   #43
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
You eat 6 nuts per day? Talk about self control.

6 is the maximum. I'm not a nut fiend, which is probably why.
Old 03-19-2011 at 03:36 PM   #44
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Quote:
I suppose I could just add another 1/4 cup of peanuts (already do 1/4 at lunch), which is another 240 calories. Just worried about the high fat content. I'm dumb and go for the blanched peanuts...nomnomnom.
I thought peanuts fat is good fat.