STATS 2B03 vs STATS 2D03 jhan523 Academics 2 06-13-2009 12:53 AM

Stats 2B03

Old 12-19-2008 at 02:30 PM   #91
phana2

Liked: Liked 4 Times

Stats 2B03
STATS 2B03
Statistical Methods for Science
Prerequisite: One of Grade 12 Data Management U, STATS 1A03 or registration in Level II or above of a program in the Faculty of Science
Instructor: Dr. Aaron Childs
Lectures: Three 1 hour lectures per week + one (optional) 1...

all say thanks to phana2 for this post.

like this.
Old 07-07-2013 at 06:16 PM   #90
Farky

Liked: 0 Times
Whats the textbook for this course and is it really necessary?
Old 07-15-2013 at 01:12 PM   #91
infinitemac

Is there podcasts for this class?
Old 07-15-2013 at 01:52 PM   #92
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitemac View Post
Is there podcasts for this class?
There are no podcasts for this course, but taking the course with Dr.Childs made it enjoyable to attend class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farky View Post
Whats the textbook for this course and is it really necessary?
The textbook is biostatistics by Wayne Daniel, and it is not needed at all. Just get the courseware.
Old 03-27-2014 at 03:59 PM   #93
daniasa

Has anyone taken this class in the spring/summer with Professor Naghan Mohammad?? I can't find her on ratemyprof... How is she?
Old 04-30-2014 at 04:24 PM   #94
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times
I'm also curious about Naghan Mohammad. I think she teaches upper year courses.
Old 05-01-2014 at 10:04 AM   #95
jitnikovi

Liked: 13 Times
more info about naghan mohammed required
Old 08-14-2014 at 12:49 AM   #96
Tavia12

anyone know if Child's notes are the same every year?
Old 08-14-2014 at 04:10 AM   #97
Pegasus

Liked: 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia12 View Post
Yes, I believe so. See http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...es-93335.html?
Old 08-14-2014 at 07:33 PM   #98
Borracho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia12 View Post
Yes they are. I can sell them to you for $5. PM me if you want them
Old 08-16-2014 at 12:31 PM   #99
macskittles

Does minitab work for mac's or is it just pc only?
Old 11-24-2014 at 09:00 PM   #100
Black.Mamba

Liked: 13 Times
I took this course in my last year of undergrad with Childs and it was awesome.

I knew nothing about stats before I took it, and concepts like probability pissed me off. Childs was a great teacher and made things really easy to understand. Ended up really enjoying it although I had to put a bit more work in than most. If you do all the suggested work, you can't really go wrong.

Also, does anyone happen to have an official course outline to upload to this thread? Aside from the one on childs website? Looking for something that gives a more clear breakdown of concepts covered. Thanks!
Old 12-25-2014 at 09:47 AM   #101
bae_

Liked: 4 Times
Could anyone give an updated review of this course from the past semester? I've heard that it's gotten more difficult.
Old 05-18-2015 at 03:35 AM   #102
Kobina.Baiden

does anyone have a current review of this course they would like to share?? thanks
Old 05-18-2015 at 06:44 PM   #103
Pegasus

Liked: 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobina.Baiden View Post
does anyone have a current review of this course they would like to share?? thanks
Personally, I don't think the course has changed too much over the last few years so older reviews of the course are still valid (unless Dr. Childs is not longer teaching the course). I took the course last year (2013-2014) and found it to be extremely easy and enjoyable. Dr. Childs is amazing, he explains concepts really well and is funny too. Just be sure to get the courseware and practice the sample tests in there as the questions are almost identical to the ones on the actual midterms/finals (except with the numbers changed).

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Old 12-14-2015 at 06:09 PM   #104
mm99mm

Liked: 4 Times
Hi there, I just finished the course Autumn 2015 and to be honest it was a great course!

Professor: Dr. Aaron Childs <-- he is very funny and very fair in his tests and takes the time to ask students if they have questions or anything that they don't understand from the material.

Content: You don't need any previous knowledge of the course, Dr. Childs covers all the basics and explains material very well, in the second half of the course it will be very useful to have index cards for all the hypothesis tests that are covered, it may seem like a lot at first, that's what I thought, but as I started practicing I realized how straightforward it was, so USE THOSE INDEX CARDS JUST LIKE THE PROF TELLs YOU TO!

The Mark breakdown:
5 Assignments/Labs : 15% (3% each)
2 Tests: 40% (20% each)
Final Exam: 45%

Textbook:Honestly you don't really need the textbook unless you want to do the practice problems in them, I used to do the practice problems in the start of the course, but I found that Dr. Childs's questions aren't like the ones from the textbook, so I stopped doing that. It didn't hurt me because he gives plenty of practice tests for you to do. We don't even use the textbook in the course, the lecture notes are sufficient to pass the course.

Lab Manual: Was different from last year so buy a new one

Minitab software: You can buy one for around $22 in book store if you want it one your computer, if not don't worry there are specified lab times in the computer rooms in BSB where you can do your assignments, those computers have the software already installed for you to use, I don't know if the library computers have the software too, but you can check.

Assignments: The Assignments were fairly straightforward because it was all from the lesson and the examples done in the lesson will help you tremendously when answering the questions, the software it self is not hard to use there are very clear instructions in the lab manual and it also gives explanations about what the software output is telling you and how to interpret it. (i love the lab manual!!). If you get stuck on the assignment the TA's give you helpful tips in order to solve it, sometimes they just give you the answer straight away. Also you get 3 tries on each question, highest mark counts, you get 2 weeks to complete the assignment, you can get 100% on all these assignments for sure!

Tests:Dr. Childs gives you 3 practice tests for each test and if you practice all the questions and do some practice problems from the lab manual you are golden. The practice tests are very similar to the tests, also Dr. Childs, had 2 classes before each test dedicated to reviewing the material for the test, you can ask him to take up certain questions and he is very helpful if you go to his office hours as well, same goes for the TA's in this course.

Exam: I have yet to do this, I am sure its going to be like the tests as I have had Maths 1A03 with him and the exam was similar to the midterms that we did. I'll let you know how this goes.

Overall a great course, you are sure to do well if you take the time to practice and make index cards

lilrush likes this.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search