MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Welcome Week 2009 Photos Days 6-8 temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 1 09-20-2009 06:32 PM
Test Days? blackdragon Academics 16 08-06-2009 11:31 AM
12 Days of Quarters... Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 04-18-2009 10:20 PM
The McMaster World Congress is taking place this week! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-15-2008 11:54 AM
Snow Days smiley12 General Discussion 2 12-17-2007 12:32 AM

who is taking 3 days off per week ??

Old 08-25-2010 at 09:01 PM   #31
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

So it wasn't only me who read Ownaginatios post I lol'ed. Then i read eledec post was like what did Ownaginatios' post have to do with anything. Second of all he isn't a a sci kid
Old 08-25-2010 at 09:01 PM   #32
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Yeah, that's my point lol, Ownaginatios didn't mention anything about science versus soc sci and humanities, yet the post replying to it assumed that's what it was about.
Yeah, I know what you meant. I was just providing a real example
Old 08-25-2010 at 09:07 PM   #33
manaya

Liked: 26 Times

This is the first time I've ever had a day off. And this is third year!!! =P

its usually the case with science and engineering ...

Old 08-25-2010 at 09:19 PM   #34
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleduc View Post
Really? Interesting theory. I was developing a similar one of my own where in there is a strong correlation between McMaster's science students and egos the size of an eighteen-wheeler.

Guess what sweetheart, just because you like math or science or computers and I like history or language or the arts doesn't make either of us better than the other one.

There are favourable AND available jobs in BOTH fields. I'm pretty sure most lawyers don't come from engineering backgrounds and no one typically sees them struggling for a position or cash. Not that how much a person makes defines their job satisfaction anyway.

I know the saying goes "Don't feed the troll" but I'm really sick of listening to students from one disipline ripping on students of another. Just because we all do different work or attend labs vs. lectures or write papers vs. doing experiments or spend more hours in class vs. out of class reading or studying DOES not make one better than the other, just different. The world will always need both teachers AND doctors, scientists AND historians, musicians AND engineers so why not quit griping and just appreciate that while you are learning how to work with computers, someone is learning how to teach your kid one day.

Gah!
So, minus the understandable rage, we can say:

Education Career Training

If only more people understood this.....

lorend says thanks to Shmowen for this post.

lorend likes this.
Old 08-25-2010 at 10:03 PM   #35
eleduc

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Is it just me or did he (i.e., the person you're replying to) not mention anything about being in science versus being in soc sci / humanities?

Your arguments are valid, but they seem to be directed to a post that doesn't warrant it.

But it's lolsy that this seems to show you recognize and admit that only humanities / soc sci programs allow for days off compared to science programs.

I fully admit that the majority of science-based programs (that encompasses quite a bit however) spend more hours IN classroom/labs than a humanities student. There are always exceptions, it is just the general stat. Most people don't realize though that humanities students, while spending less time in actual class make up for it in other areas of study such as intensive paper writing, copious reading and other in other capacities. All of my science friends rarely have reading or even close to the same amount of assignment time as me. Again, I'm not saying this makes either any better - most people just quickly overlook this.

The reason I took the comment as a "Humanities/Science" jab was simply because it followed a string of humanities students saying they had days off whilst science students scoffing at the notion. I would be surprised if the comment wasn't intended that way but it is fully possible I misinterpreted. Regardless, nepotism amongst faculties is a big problem right now and this is just one example of how it is expressed.
Old 08-25-2010 at 10:25 PM   #36
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleduc View Post
I fully admit that the majority of science-based programs (that encompasses quite a bit however) spend more hours IN classroom/labs than a humanities student. There are always exceptions, it is just the general stat. Most people don't realize though that humanities students, while spending less time in actual class make up for it in other areas of study such as intensive paper writing, copious reading and other in other capacities. All of my science friends rarely have reading or even close to the same amount of assignment time as me. Again, I'm not saying this makes either any better - most people just quickly overlook this.

The reason I took the comment as a "Humanities/Science" jab was simply because it followed a string of humanities students saying they had days off whilst science students scoffing at the notion. I would be surprised if the comment wasn't intended that way but it is fully possible I misinterpreted. Regardless, nepotism amongst faculties is a big problem right now and this is just one example of how it is expressed.
The point people are trying to make is that every faculty (except maybe engineering) can have days off and it's not limited to Humanities.

Plus, the number of hours spent outside of class is not limited to Humanities either. For many science programs (especially biochemistry) A LOT of research has to be done. That means reading dozens of research articles each week and reading articles is not easy or fast.

At any rate, what I'm trying to say that the comment made was general and you should take it so personally. I don't know why people read general comments and take it personally :\
Old 08-25-2010 at 10:31 PM   #37
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
What? The last sentence...I thought nepotism was favoritism towards those who are related to you.

Unless you're using "related" as having something in common (e.g., being in the same program such as science)? I always assumed it to be actual relation (i.e., family members).

Quote:
At any rate, what I'm trying to say that the comment made was general and you should take it so personally. I don't know why people read general comments and take it personally :\
Lol, I'll be the first to admit I do the same thing - it's what happens when lots of people say the same thing and you feel as though it's either unjustified or entirely incorrect so you rage and try explaining to them why.
Old 08-25-2010 at 10:39 PM   #38
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Lol, I'll be the first to admit I do the same thing - it's what happens when lots of people say the same thing and you feel as though it's either unjustified or entirely incorrect so you rage and try explaining to them why.
It also happens to me :\
Old 08-25-2010 at 10:40 PM   #39
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
You SoSci people
LOL.

Exactly..
Old 08-26-2010 at 09:40 AM   #40
eleduc

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post

Regardless of my faculty, the comment was directed at people in my "situation". I have days off and therefore I won't be able to get a good job? It just really doesn't make sense.

Nepotism is the wrong word, sorry. There is a term called collegiate nepotism in social science that we studied a couple years ago where the University and or the University's community crafts or favours certain of their "children" over others.
Old 08-26-2010 at 10:38 AM   #41
drew4008

Liked: 13 Times

Only 18 credits this year, I'm going to love my life haha.
Old 08-26-2010 at 11:22 AM   #42
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
LOL.

Exactly..
Just when I thought that everybody had come to a collective understanding.....

eleduc likes this.