MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
External Supervisors at the hospital IbrahimH Volunteering Opportunities 1 08-15-2010 01:33 PM
Hospital Volunteering... britb Volunteering Opportunities 11 07-25-2010 10:51 PM
Volunteering at Mac hospital t.dot Volunteering Opportunities 16 07-22-2010 09:16 PM
Please, please do not strike anywhere near the hospital Kathy2 General Discussion 6 11-01-2009 11:24 AM
OT- Question for hospital volunteers at Mac Hospital darklink121 General Discussion 5 10-12-2009 12:07 AM

Taking the HSR to the General Hospital

Old 09-24-2010 at 12:54 AM   #1
hellohello

Liked: 9 Times

Taking the HSR to the General Hospital
Hello,

I have a need to go to the General hospital by bus next week. I have the routes ready (take 10 from McMaster Medical Centre Terminal to Main and Macnab, then take 2 to Barton and Wellington) but I am extremely worried about which side of the street to get on and where exactly the stops are, when exactly to get off and so forth. I wouldn't usually mind experimenting, but I am on a super tight time constraint at the time that I have to get there and can't miss any buses to make it in time. It is also (basically) my first time taking the HSR, so I am kind of nervous, especially since I will be on my own. Can anyone give me a really comprehensive play-by-play as to where I should be using landmarks and such?

Thank you so much for your help!!
Old 09-24-2010 at 02:16 AM   #2
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Couple of things, the 10 is the quickest bus to take to from campus to downtown, but it stops at Main and John not Main and MacNab. Main and John is best spot to get off though, so don't worry about this.

If you're on the 10, the stop before John (the one you want) is Queen, which is just at the top a little hill and basically where Hess Village is. You can pull the cord for the next stop right after Queen and get up off your seat right if you're really worried about missing the stop (it will be another 3-4 minutes drive). You can also just tell the bus driver you want off at John and they'll generally be sure to yell to remind you.

When you get off the 10 at John, you'll be on the South side of the street, you'll need to cross main street to the north side and then cross to the East side of John street. You'll then be right in front of the London Tap House (a popular bar!).

Now that you're on the correct corner, walk 1.5 blocks north on John street cross by Gore Park (a tiny strip of trees) then cross King St E and continue another 10-20 metres. You should then see the Yellow / Blue HSR stop sign in that area, that's where the #2 will stop (Stop #1239). If you get to the Greek Palace eatery, you've gone too far. When you're at the #2 stop be sure to make yourself seen. The drivers aren't supposed to stop unless someone is right near the curb at the stop. A quick wave and smile also helps .

Here's a link to the google maps version of the route:
http://www.google.ca/maps?f=d&source...,0.005429&z=18

hellohello says thanks to dsahota for this post.
Old 09-24-2010 at 08:22 PM   #3
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

If your worried about finding bus stops and stuff then the easiest way to get to the General Hospital would be to take the 51 (all stops on campus) or any bus that goes to the GO Center Terminal (its usually the very last stop, I know it is for the 51 at least) and once at the GO Center, the Barton bus stop is just a few meters infront of the stop you get off at. Simple as that.

Doesn't take too much time but if you really are in a hurry than the 10 would be your best bet I guess.

Also just to add to what dsahota said, if you do take the 10 instead of going to stop #1239 go south on John St. until you see a Tim Hortons (about a block). The Barton stop is on the corner of Jackson and John (opposite Tailgate Charlie's). Its a little closer plus you'll most likely get an empty bus since its the first stop. =D

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 09-24-2010 at 08:30 PM.

hellohello says thanks to AnguishedEnd for this post.
Old 09-24-2010 at 08:46 PM   #4
hellohello

Thanks guys. So.. uh... where am I supposed to go to get on the 10 from Mac?
Old 09-24-2010 at 09:44 PM   #5
5XLH

Liked: 0 Times

So the # 10 b-line doesn't run weekends but if your taking this on weekdays you can catch it at the Mac Hospital terminal it's up the hill infront of the hospital by the main st. entrance to mac.

But basically you could take any bus off campus going downtown and get off at the John st. stop and catch the #2 barton every bus except the 51 university goes there. The 51 turns before to get to the Go station as mentioned above.

If you get on a bus and your still unsure you can do what I usually do, ask the bus driver they're very friendly and helpful ... I got one to stop a bus for me via intercom .

Here's a trip planner from the HRS website just fill in the fields and it gives you pretty detailed trip plans and routes!

http://www.busweb.hamilton.c a:8008...5c7c5cf9&Date=

Hope this helps.

Last edited by 5XLH : 09-24-2010 at 09:49 PM. Reason: added website

hellohello says thanks to 5XLH for this post.
Old 09-24-2010 at 10:58 PM   #6
hellohello

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5XLH View Post
So the # 10 b-line doesn't run weekends but if your taking this on weekdays you can catch it at the Mac Hospital terminal it's up the hill infront of the hospital by the main st. entrance to mac.

But basically you could take any bus off campus going downtown and get off at the John st. stop and catch the #2 barton every bus except the 51 university goes there. The 51 turns before to get to the Go station as mentioned above.

If you get on a bus and your still unsure you can do what I usually do, ask the bus driver they're very friendly and helpful ... I got one to stop a bus for me via intercom .

Here's a trip planner from the HRS website just fill in the fields and it gives you pretty detailed trip plans and routes!

http://www.busweb.hamilton.c a:8008...5c7c5cf9&Date=

Hope this helps.
Thank you - so I am going to get on on the McMaster side of Main street, right?
Old 09-25-2010 at 10:46 AM   #7
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Actually you'd want to be on the opposite side of Main St. to head downtown.

hellohello says thanks to AnguishedEnd for this post.
Old 09-26-2010 at 04:55 PM   #8
hellohello

So if I wanted to take the 51, would I be getting on the hospital side of University or the JHE/BSB side to get to the GO station? Thanks guys, you're the best
Old 09-26-2010 at 05:39 PM   #9
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohello View Post
So if I wanted to take the 51, would I be getting on the hospital side of University or the JHE/BSB side to get to the GO station? Thanks guys, you're the best
The hospital side.

Note the 51 doesn't run on Sundays, only Monday -> Saturday.
http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/...E10Route51.pdf