MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Orgo Midterms During the Year? etoilex3 Academics 2 08-09-2010 12:11 AM
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
taking orgo chem & Biochem 2EE3 in summer minji Academics 5 07-13-2010 12:42 AM
taking first year coerces in second year oHierlihy Academics 11 06-03-2010 10:17 AM
First year taking 2nd year courses Z3phyr First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 01-05-2010 12:51 PM

Taking Orgo During the Year

Old 06-10-2011 at 10:30 PM   #1
oxelhs

Liked: 11 Times

Taking Orgo During the Year
I'm wondering how hard is orgo, everyone seems to be going on about how hard it is and you should take it in summer since its an easy mark then...what's so bad about it? I got 8's in first year chem so I'm not the best at chem but then again I slacked a lot first term so........
Old 06-10-2011 at 10:42 PM   #2
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

I found Organic Chemistry to be easier that first year Chemistry, Organic Chemistry is very doable during the year and you can easily double digit in grades. Organic Chemistry is very similar to the organic chemistry portion in Chem 1AA3.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

mike4, Purple2309 all say thanks to L'Étoile for this post.
Old 06-10-2011 at 11:18 PM   #3
nadia1

Liked: 3 Times

I took the first orgo during the year, this course is doable, it just takes alot of personal effort i guess, make sure you practice alot of questions and go over all the tutorial problems. you should be fine! but you could take it in the summer, it lets you focus on it more, without having to worry about other courses that you would have to do during the year. I like chem, so I didn't mind working at it, just practice lotss i like orgo chem better than first year chem too, its more understanding!

Purple2309 says thanks to nadia1 for this post.

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 06-10-2011
Chris98
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-11-2011 at 01:10 AM   #4
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

It's just like any other course. Put in the work, and hope for the best. I took it during the year and it was fine.
Old 06-11-2011 at 12:06 PM   #5
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I took the first orgo in summer, did horribly (6). Did the second part in the school year and did wonderfully (12). As long as you put the work in it's fine, and over the year you have more time to consolidate everything

mike4 likes this.
Old 06-11-2011 at 06:20 PM   #6
biochemer

Liked: 11 Times

Practice Practice Practice...that's the key to doing well in orgo. My personal recommendation is to do as many textbook problems as you can. It gives you a strong base for the types of questions you see on assignments and tests.

hamnahx02, L'Étoile like this.