MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saigon Asian Restaurant resh.jyoti Restaurants & Food Reviews 14 02-17-2015 04:12 AM
McMaster Asian Federation of Charitable University Students (Asian F.O.C.U.S.) faytless Clubs & Groups 1 10-22-2012 06:32 PM
200 Countries, 200 Years, 4 Minutes Yakattack General Discussion 19 01-09-2011 12:16 AM
Universities Too Asian? Lois General Discussion 71 11-14-2010 08:55 PM
Have you been to 3rd World Countries? aviaf General Discussion 18 07-10-2010 06:52 PM

Teaching ESL in Asian Countries

Old 02-19-2013 at 05:53 PM   #1
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Teaching ESL in Asian Countries
Does anyone know someone who has actually taught ESL overseas? If so, what company did they go through? I've been researching it and it seems fairly straightforward but I'm having a bit of an issue deciding which company to apply through. I'd prefer getting the opinion of someone who has already done it or is currently in the process of doing it. I'm looking primarily at teaching in South Korea.

alyssarr likes this.
Old 02-19-2013 at 05:55 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

good choice of country is all I can say. The technology, the food, oh man..

kwyhan, sarahsullz like this.
Old 02-19-2013 at 07:31 PM   #3
alee90

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
good choice of country is all I can say. The technology, the food, oh man..
Let's not forget $1 bottles of soju pretty much at every corner on every street. Good times.
Old 02-19-2013 at 07:41 PM   #4
alee90

Sorry OP, back to your question. I've never done this personally, but I know a couple people who have applied through Canadian Connection and were satisfied so I'd go check that out their site if I were you.

sarahsullz says thanks to alee90 for this post.

sarahsullz likes this.
Old 02-19-2013 at 08:08 PM   #5
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by alee90 View Post
Sorry OP, back to your question. I've never done this personally, but I know a couple people who have applied through Canadian Connection and were satisfied so I'd go check that out their site if I were you.
Did they actually end up going overseas or did they just apply? And was that for South Korea specifically?
Old 02-19-2013 at 08:50 PM   #6
alee90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsullz View Post
Did they actually end up going overseas or did they just apply? And was that for South Korea specifically?
One of them ended up going overseas but the other one didn't because apparently, they needed to get a TESL (teaching english as second language) certificate, which requires 100 hours of class (i think) and it was also quite expensive (around $900-$1000, which is no joke). The sad thing is my friend who got the certificate said it's ridiculous what they actually learn because you could easily learn it on your own at home in a fraction of the amount of time you have to attend the classes. And at the cost is $1K? A bit unnecessary. Also, you need an undergrad degree before applying because without it, you won't be able to get a working visa. A degree was all you used to need but due to an increase in the number of people wanting to go to Korea and doing this, you most likely need a TESL no matter what company you end up choosing to go with (this is for Korea)

However, I know a friend teaching in China and she claims you don't need a TESL (but still a degree/diploma) so if you're not down to pay $1K and 100 hours of class, then China might be a better alternative for you.

If you're committed to getting a TESL, then I wish you the best of going over to S.K. If you have any questions about the language and/or culture, feel free to ask. S.K. is actually my home country
Old 02-19-2013 at 08:54 PM   #7
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
One of them ended up going overseas but the other one didn't because apparently, they needed to get a TESL (teaching english as second language) certificate, which requires 100 hours of class (i think) and it was also quite expensive (around $900-$1000, which is no joke). The sad thing is my friend who got the certificate said it's ridiculous what they actually learn because you could easily learn it on your own at home in a fraction of the amount of time you have to attend the classes. And at the cost is $1K? A bit unnecessary. Also, you need an undergrad degree before applying because without it, you won't be able to get a working visa. A degree was all you used to need but due to an increase in the number of people wanting to go to Korea and doing this, you most likely need a TESL no matter what company you end up choosing to go with (this is for Korea)

However, I know a friend teaching in China and she claims you don't need a TESL (but still a degree/diploma) so if you're not down to pay $1K and 100 hours of class, then China might be a better alternative for you.

If you're committed to getting a TESL, then I wish you the best of going over to S.K. If you have any questions about the language and/or culture, feel free to ask. S.K. is actually my home country
I've actually found a lot of companies that don't require a TESL now for South Korea. Those stationed in Seoul definitely need them but some of the other cities don't I'm personally not interested in a TESL, it doesn't even affect the salary amount all that much and it's not worth the time and money.

I have a degree after this semester so I'm good to go for that but I'll definitely look into China then. What company did your friend go through for that? Thank you so much for answering my questions
Old 02-19-2013 at 09:01 PM   #8
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
I've actually found a lot of companies that don't require a TESL now for South Korea. Those stationed in Seoul definitely need them but some of the other cities don't I'm personally not interested in a TESL, it doesn't even affect the salary amount all that much and it's not worth the time and money.

I have a degree after this semester so I'm good to go for that but I'll definitely look into China then. What company did your friend go through for that? Thank you so much for answering my questions
If you don't mind sharing, what is the salary amount anyway for teaching ESL abroad?
Old 02-19-2013 at 09:03 PM   #9
alee90

Quote:

Yeah sorry, you're completely correct. While, Seoul and the other few big cities would be tough to get in without the TESL, the smaller cities & towns, etc, won't require it as long as you look well in advanced (a lot of the positions are on first basis). And I agree with you, the TESL is not worth it since it only bumps up your salary by a few hundred I think.

About my friend in China, I actually never asked her about what company she went through but if I'm able to get a hold of her, I'll let you know
Old 02-19-2013 at 09:11 PM   #10
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
If you don't mind sharing, what is the salary amount anyway for teaching ESL abroad?
It depends on where you work but it's around $1500-$2000 USD. Some countries and schools cover your roundtrip airfare and housing but some do not.
Old 02-19-2013 at 09:12 PM   #11
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Yeah sorry, you're completely correct. While, Seoul and the other few big cities would be tough to get in without the TESL, the smaller cities & towns, etc, won't require it as long as you look well in advanced (a lot of the positions are on first basis). And I agree with you, the TESL is not worth it since it only bumps up your salary by a few hundred I think.

About my friend in China, I actually never asked her about what company she went through but if I'm able to get a hold of her, I'll let you know
Yeah, I'm looking to apply now so I can leave in the summer or fall depending on some things. So, hopefully the recruitment companies can find me something that fits without the certification haha

That would be absolutely wonderful if you could let me know! I`m having a hard time finding positions in China that don`t require the certification or a teaching license. Thank you
Old 03-03-2013 at 09:19 AM   #12
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

There's a deal for a TESOL course on livingsocial right now: http://www.livingsocial.com/deals/624578?rui=142688517

$149 is a pretty good deal, if anyone wants to do it or was planning on it.
Old 03-03-2013 at 01:16 PM   #13
alee90

Hey OP, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I wasn't able to reach my friend D:

I did some googling for you though, and it seems like more and more places in china want the certificate but doing the course online might be acceptable, which is good, because it's cheaper and more flexible in terms of time. Wherever you decide to go though, good luck in your job hunt and let us know how it works out in the end!
Old 03-03-2013 at 01:36 PM   #14
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
There's a deal for a TESOL course on livingsocial right now: http://www.livingsocial.com/deals/624578?rui=142688517

$149 is a pretty good deal, if anyone wants to do it or was planning on it.

Ah thank you so much! That is a super good deal.
Old 03-03-2013 at 01:37 PM   #15
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Hey OP, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I wasn't able to reach my friend D:

I did some googling for you though, and it seems like more and more places in china want the certificate but doing the course online might be acceptable, which is good, because it's cheaper and more flexible in terms of time. Wherever you decide to go though, good luck in your job hunt and let us know how it works out in the end!
No worries and thank you for trying

And ah, yeah. I've been finding that too. But that's okay, I think South Korea is my best bet with or without the TESL course