MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Senior Thesis (Science Programs) L_Blankfein Academics 3 04-30-2013 11:06 PM
Need Thesis Advice Zebedee General Discussion 19 11-25-2012 06:40 PM
Thesis amigojoe Academics 11 04-06-2011 05:25 PM
Required grades for 2nd year programs MeganB214 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 12-22-2010 10:06 PM
Thesis nerual Academics 2 08-07-2010 12:07 AM

Thesis required programs?

Old 06-01-2013 at 11:26 AM   #1
jake0405

Liked: 0 Times

Thesis required programs?
Hi, i just have a question regarding the thesis.
I know that some science programs requires you to write thesis to graduate. What are those programs? I thought for biochem i thought you had to write one, but apparently if you don't want to, you don't have to.
And if you want to write a thesis. Do you have to contact the professor directly? I just don't know the process very well.. so that's why im asking.
Old 06-01-2013 at 11:47 AM   #2
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Yes, you definitely have to contact a professor to do a thesis. In the science programs, a thesis involves conducting your own research project under the supervision of a professor, and then completing a final written paper on your results. In some programs you may also be required to produce a printed poster and present your work at a symposium. Try looking up the programs on the undergraduate calender. Typically, you can find out there if a thesis is required or not.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...13/pg1466.html

off the top of my head, I believe Biology and Biopsych have a mandatory thesis requirement. in PNB, it's optional.
Old 06-01-2013 at 11:58 AM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Core biochem does not require a thesis, but the specializations do.

In science, "writing" isn't really a good verb to use when describing a 4th year thesis You do have to write a final thesis paper, but the majority of your time will be spent in the lab. You need to complete an original research project (the topic may or may not be decided by the prof you are working under). You do need to contact profs directly though to apply to do your thesis in their labs. The majority of profs will also want to meet with you in person to discuss it.
Old 06-01-2013 at 03:52 PM   #4
jake0405

Liked: 0 Times

So if i want to write my indepedent thesis, i have to contact a prof who is researching on topic closely related to the one that you will be researching on?

And if you want to just participate in the prof's research project (not doing my own original research), i just email them to volunteer? or join in courses like research practicum?
Old 06-01-2013 at 04:17 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake0405 View Post
So if i want to write my indepedent thesis, i have to contact a prof who is researching on topic closely related to the one that you will be researching on?

And if you want to just participate in the prof's research project (not doing my own original research), i just email them to volunteer? or join in courses like research practicum?
That's not quite how it works.

In most cases, the prof you're working for will give you a project that you work on. It's "original" in the sense that nobody has done the work before; ideally it will be publishable material or contribute to a larger story that is publishable. You don't typically design the project on your own, especially not before meeting with/talking to the prof. I've heard of one prof before who told his thesis students they could design their own projects, but that was after he'd accepted them into the lab, and they were given guidance. No matter what the case is though, your thesis will be a part of the prof's overall research project. They're not going to pay a ton of money for you to do science that doesn't contribute to their overall research. It's not "independent" in the way that you seem to be thinking.

If by "research practicum" you are referring to three-unit research project courses, those aren't considered theses; they're "projects" that require less time, are worth less units and generally have less work associated with them (you might write a paper but not a full thesis, there probably won't be a poster/presentation, etc).
Old 06-01-2013 at 05:29 PM   #6
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

^ It really depends on the professor though. When I met my supervisor, he asked me what my research ideas were, so it's important to have an idea of some questions you'd like to research going into the interview, just in case your prof doesn't have any topics already in mind for you. He ended up liking one of my questions enough to accept me as a student.

but yeah, you do have to stay within the boundaries of their research interests (you can find these out by checking out their websites and published papers). they don't really have time to waste on supervising irrelevant things.