MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things that are annoying AelyaS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 582 12-24-2010 02:43 AM
Things need to bring to REZ JeetDevDesai Residence & Housing 32 06-24-2010 11:20 AM
In my first year of University I wish I knew (G&M) jmbauman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 38 09-02-2009 11:26 PM
8 Things You Should Know About Your Bookstore! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-29-2008 10:32 PM
A few new things to note Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-30-2006 01:03 AM

THINGS you wished you knew!

Old 04-10-2012 at 10:25 PM   #421
reijc_002

Liked: 0 Times

I wish I knew that talking to academic advisor actually poses more options in your university life! They're actually a big help for me!
Old 04-19-2012 at 01:39 PM   #422
achhin

Liked: 2 Times

Dc++
DC++ and the machub is the greatest thing you will ever have on residence. As soon as you move in, set it up as soon as possible.
Old 04-19-2012 at 09:36 PM   #423
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by achhin View Post
DC++ and the machub is the greatest thing you will ever have on residence. As soon as you move in, set it up as soon as possible.
For the access to all the wonderful study material that some students offer... right?

RIGHT?!

RIGGGGGGGGGGGHTTT?!

Old 04-20-2012 at 11:26 PM   #424
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

I wish I knew what happened to the OP....
Old 04-21-2012 at 11:13 AM   #425
forcajovem

Liked: 8 Times

I think someone here said they wish they knew how fun rock climbing was.

I went rock climbing at the pulse for the first time in years yesterday as part of my usual workout. I have to say, it was an incredible experience. I forgot how fun it really was. Climbing to the top is very fun and rewarding, and last time I had gone rock climbing back in junior days of high school I had never made it that far, so this was an achievement. I'm glad I became aware of how fun this is now, so I can continue doing it for the years to come.

If you haven't gone yet, definitely do so! Don't make it something you wish you knew, do it!
Old 04-21-2012 at 09:54 PM   #426
oneillcm

Liked: 1 Time

If you want to take money out on campus (ATM), buy an envelope from the bookstore and ask for cash back. Wish I knew that earlier.

adaptation likes this.
Old 06-22-2012 at 01:35 PM   #427
romitnagrare

make sure to buy ur textbooks b4 skool starts
Old 06-22-2012 at 02:03 PM   #428
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

Pizza Pizza takes meal plan.
Old 06-25-2012 at 12:18 AM   #429
jenpower

Liked: 7 Times

The school/CA's/RM's may say you can't change rooms in res, but if you really do have a serious problem with a roommate, they will do it.
Old 08-15-2012 at 07:04 PM   #430
carolynchong

You can sleep in MUSC!

mc_kumar likes this.
Old 08-15-2012 at 07:05 PM   #431
carolynchong

Go to the gym and participate in the group classes!
Old 08-15-2012 at 07:08 PM   #432
carolynchong

Bring an extension cord if you live in rez!

mc_kumar likes this.
Old 08-15-2012 at 09:28 PM   #433
IEatChalk

If ur going into chembio second year.... LOL its harder, like wayyyy harder than first year.

ummm
REVIEW TEH NOTES GODAMMIT. I wish I organized and didnt have notes from every lecture to review, if it was a quick summary note it would be lots more efficient, in the end what you learn from ever lecture kinda shrinks down, eventually to maybe a sentence worth.

Have a calendar, and write down everything on it before anything happens, midterms, labs, etc. Make sure to review a long time before the exams happen, life sci exams tend to be crammed and you dont want to be cramming for five days straight.

When you study bio there is a nice little room where alistar tracey sets his office in, you can always go there to study, and if you have questions there are plenty of bio help.

Skipping lectures if they are boring is kinda okay, but always be aware of what happened in what you skipped and make up for it right after, or if you know what is going to happen study it yourself at the same time as the lecture.

Tutorials help, if its courses like physics, psych, and bio 1m, they dont have tutorials as a place where you ask questions but psych u can stop ur ta after tutorial and ask questions, physics theres help in thode, bio 1m go to the prof during office hours or take my advice above. Math tutorials are absolutely beautiful, but I ignored them anyway because it was not a hard course, if you need more help, basement of hamilton hall.

Check ur mac email regularly, dont miss out on important stuff because you didnt check it for a month, now that its on gmail i set aside my firefox just for checking it and my other mailboxes. (it does interfere with youtube and other google services as it is only an email account that doesnt even work with the app on iphone)
Old 08-16-2012 at 06:54 AM   #434
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Capitalize on everything the university offers. This includes the health care facilites (physical, sexual, mental/emotional); whatever you can use for free at DBAc as a student. and various opportunities that come exclusively to university students as a whole. The list goes on.

Always check in with academic advising and make sure you're going down the right path. Even if you feel like you're doing something right, it's better to have it double checked than assume you're good to go only to find out when it's much too late that you're missing something crucial. They'll help you with everything from course selection to career guidance (although you should go to the Student Success Centre for specifics). The best part of being on good terms with academic advisors is that they'll get to know you and thus are more willing to help you out. It's not so much favouritism as it is a thorough understanding of your situation. You can only truly receive the best help you can get if someone knows exactly what you need/what you're going through.

The Student Success Centre is invaluable. Literally anything you need to know regarding careers (how to write a CV, where to apply to teacher's colleges, what it takes to qualify for certain programs), they'll have it. They have a whole team organized to help you out with your personal specifics. From what I know, they help you look for jobs as well as internships.

Always read the bulletin boards in every building! These tend to get overlooked, but sometimes you'll find the greatest things there. Everything from postings about sublets/rooms/apartments, to notifications about symposiums or visits from guest lecturers. The best thing to do is always check the bulletin boards in the building designated for your department, where you'll find opportunities catered to your academic pursuits.

Build a relationship (to whatever degree you feel comfortable with) with your professors and/or TAs. You don't have to be best friends, but you have to establish the kind of intimacy that allows both of you to speak freely with each other at a whim. You shouldn't be the sort of student that only ever goes to their academic superiors because they need something. Think of them more as your co-workers and establish a respect between you that breaks down the power dynamics as much as possible. Granted, at the end of the day they're still ultimately responsible for how you do and you shouldn't treat them like frat buddies, but being friendly is not difficult.

This is more for first years I guess, but don't feel the need to do what everyone else is doing. You'll make yourself miserable because then you're just compromising your personal beliefs/lifestyle for a group of people who wouldn't care for you otherwise. Not saying they're bad people, but they definitely aren't getting to know the real you so they technically don't appreciate the real you. It might take some time, but carve out your own niche. Spend time with yourself above anyone else. There's a huge scramble to socialize in university, and it's not wrong: establishing some base level of connection with other people as fast as possible has its merits. But in the midst of all that people forget to find out what THEY like for themselves. You're given a buss pass, explore the city. Downtown Toronto is a bus ride away. Talk to Hamilton natives about city events.

There's more, but that's all I'll put down for now. Sorry for, you know, the essay. :s
Old 08-16-2012 at 07:59 AM   #435
mc_kumar

Liked: 13 Times

hell yeah
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolynchong View Post
You can sleep in MUSC!

during exam time, this comes in handy!