MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Timetable Checking & Help Thread 2010 Chad Academics 237 09-07-2011 10:40 PM
first thread of 2011 Juve General Discussion 6 01-01-2011 12:32 PM
Official 2010 Timetable Checking Thread Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 07-09-2010 09:38 AM
2010/2011 Master Course Timetable danallan Academics 6 05-10-2010 02:08 PM

Timetable Checking and Help Thread 2011

Old 06-06-2011 at 08:44 AM   #1
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Timetable Checking and Help Thread 2011
I know it's a bit early-ish but there's been a lot of questions regarding timetables and to avoid using last year's thread, this thread is for asking any questions or advice about timetables and scheduling. Also, you can post up your timetable and get feedback from upper years. Post away!
Old 06-06-2011 at 08:49 AM   #2
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

When you're finished on MUGSI, please remember to exit rather than having the system log you off after 45 minutes. It makes life a tad less frustrating for the rest of us.

DMe3 says thanks to kenneth526 for this post.

Old 06-06-2011 at 08:59 AM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I know it's a bit early-ish but there's been a lot of questions regarding timetables and to avoid using last year's thread, this thread is for asking any questions or advice about timetables and scheduling. Also, you can post up your timetable and get feedback from upper years. Post away!
Nooo, and it begins again *dies* Lol

Things to look for when making a schedule:

Classes in a row - Usually 2-3 hours is tolerable but more than that tends to make the day quite long.

Class locations - Make sure the location between buildings isn't too far. IT'S TRUE YOU CAN WALK ACROSS CAMPUS IN LESS THAN 10 MINUTES, however for convenience sake and not having the feeling of being rushed it's best for them to be relatively close.

Labs - Generally students like to have time before a lab to go over it or do prelabs

Tutorials - Most tutorials are pretty chill and student don't mind having them between their classes (like 1 class, tutorial and 2 classes all in a row). However, some tutorials have presentations in which case it may be best to have them not in a row with a bunch of classes.

Breaks - Lots (3+) of 1 hours breaks within the day can get annoying as off campus students have to stay on campus. It also tends to make the day longer. Long breaks can also be annoying for off campus students if they have to commute (Sauga, Toronto, etc).

Important: Make your schedule to YOUR liking. If you are a night owl, choose night sections and afternoon classes. If you are a morning person then choose 8:30 classes. So, you either want to start late and end late or start early and end early. Although for some programs you are also able to start relatively late and end relatively early. I personally wouldn't recommend having some days where you start early and end early and then other days when you start late and end late. Routine is really useful. If you have two random 8:30 days mixed in with three 11:30 days, then you'll tend to want to skip those 8:30s (if you tend to sleep in on those 11:30 days).

Last edited by jhan523 : 06-06-2011 at 09:02 AM.

alex751, chocolatte, DMe3, kwyhan, Purple2309, zeiarra all say thanks to jhan523 for this post.

Old 06-06-2011 at 10:20 AM   #4
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

. Do your research! If you have limited electives, look into them wisely. Don't simply pick a course because someone said it was easy/it sounds easy. Choose based on interest, and the rewards will come by themselves. This advice goes double for students in Humanities I, who have no required courses, just required credits.

. Don't overestimate your ability to do something. If you've never been a morning person, why do you think you're going to be able to attend an 8:30?

. Try not to pack your days in if you can help it. I know many people try to aim for having at least one day off a week, but long days can be hell. For example: I have a day off in Term 1 next year, but my Monday for that term goes from 10:30 AM-9 PM. Nicely spaced out days are perfect.

. Breaks are important. Try to aim for atleast a single 50-60 minute break so you have time to eat and just unwind between classes. Like JHan said, too many breaks can get annoying (unless you're on rez, in which case it's no big deal to you).

. Always keep backup classes in mind

. LOG OUT OF MUGSI INSTEAD OF HAVING THE SYSTEM DO IT FOR YOU.
Old 06-06-2011 at 06:37 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
. D
. Always keep backup classes in mind
I can't stress the back-up classes thing enough. I found myself doing this in first year and again in second year DX. A lot of the time, a course you find might be full, but always have a couple of courses in both terms to sign up for just in case. That way, at least you guarantee 100% a spot in the courses available to you instead of rushing through the Master Timetable and praying that MUGSI doesn't crash or log you out -___-

@jhan-Hope it's actually better for you this year since you get to pick first
Old 06-06-2011 at 07:02 PM   #6
Xenos

Liked: 3 Times

For full-year courses (Term 3), are the lab/tutorial sections going to remain the same throughout the year? (So they can't conflict with either Term 1 or Term 2 classes?)

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2011 at 07:14 PM   #7
waldo92

Liked: 104 Times

why are people on mugsi right now?

nevverr mind lol, it's just 3rd/4th years picking courses right?
Old 06-06-2011 at 07:17 PM   #8
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Even if you don't do your pre-labs/read over the lab instructions before a lengthy lab, it may be nice to have a 1hr break before it so that you can eat something/go to the bathroom x|

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo92 View Post
why are people on mugsi right now?

nevverr mind lol, it's just 3rd/4th years picking courses right?
this is irrelevant, but... I approve of your dp.
Old 06-06-2011 at 07:40 PM   #9
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I can't stress the back-up classes thing enough. I found myself doing this in first year and again in second year DX. A lot of the time, a course you find might be full, but always have a couple of courses in both terms to sign up for just in case. That way, at least you guarantee 100% a spot in the courses available to you instead of rushing through the Master Timetable and praying that MUGSI doesn't crash or log you out -___-

But also keep in mind that if it is a course that is required for your major, academic advisors have told me that a spot will always be opened up for you.

BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU DO NOT HAVE BACKUPS. just sayin

~*Sara*~ says thanks to AelyaS for this post.
Old 06-06-2011 at 07:46 PM   #10
Bug324

Liked: 25 Times

Okay, first actual timetable to check!

I know that term 2 mornings are a bit messed up; I originally had another class scheduled in there, too, but Mmedia 1B03 looked more fun. I don't think I'll mind getting up early too much. I'm not exactly a morning person, but I figure that this way I can go to some classes earlier in the day, then study later. If I don't schedule any courses until noon, then I won't get up. I will thank myself later for it, if that makes any sense.

ALSO...just so you know, the times on the left for Term 2 get strange near the bottom, since mmedia start on the hour and all the others start on the half hour - I was too lazy to add more rows for the rest of the day.

My back-up courses are: Math 1C03, Comp Sci 1F03, Ojibwe 1Z03, Mmedia 1A03, and Anthrop 1A03.

Sooo...any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Term1Take3.jpg (553.5 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg Term2Take3.jpg (522.6 KB, 95 views)
Old 06-06-2011 at 07:51 PM   #11
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug324 View Post
Okay, first actual timetable to check!

I know that term 2 mornings are a bit messed up; I originally had another class scheduled in there, too, but Mmedia 1B03 looked more fun. I don't think I'll mind getting up early too much. I'm not exactly a morning person, but I figure that this way I can go to some classes earlier in the day, then study later. If I don't schedule any courses until noon, then I won't get up. I will thank myself later for it, if that makes any sense.

ALSO...just so you know, the times on the left for Term 2 get strange near the bottom, since mmedia start on the hour and all the others start on the half hour - I was too lazy to add more rows for the rest of the day.

My back-up courses are: Math 1C03, Comp Sci 1F03, Ojibwe 1Z03, Mmedia 1A03, and Anthrop 1A03.

Sooo...any suggestions?

The organization of this timetable makes me weep with happiness. I'm gonna go add profs to my timetable

Bug324 says thanks to AelyaS for this post.

Alchemist11, Bug324 like this.
Old 06-06-2011 at 07:55 PM   #12
Bug324

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
The organization of this timetable makes me weep with happiness. I'm gonna go add profs to my timetable
Thanks! After reading on this site about all the problems everyone has during course selection, I think I've become a little paranoid....
Old 06-06-2011 at 07:57 PM   #13
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug324 View Post
Thanks! After reading on this site about all the problems everyone has during course selection, I think I've become a little paranoid....

You have every reason to be. Being organized with your timetable is crucial. It saves you a lot of pain in the process of making it.
Old 06-06-2011 at 08:00 PM   #14
mini1s

Liked: 0 Times

Quick Question, if you are changing faculties, do you do course selection on the day of the faculty you are transferring from or on the day of the faculty you are transferring into? Thanks!
Old 06-06-2011 at 08:03 PM   #15
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

BIO 2C03: Which prof would you recommend I take the course with CAMPOS (term 1) or DEJ (term 2)?

I know the BIO 4T03 is not offered this year and will most likely be offered next year. Does anyone know if this course is offered in term 1 or 2?