MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what's the difference between cancel courses and drop courses? cmkc109 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 10-16-2012 10:09 PM
Tough Questions mfattal General Discussion 22 01-31-2011 07:02 PM
Course is harder than I thought - should I drop it or tough it out? Kathy2 Academics 12 01-21-2010 01:07 AM
how tough is natural disasters nowadays? pk00 Academics 4 12-16-2008 10:29 PM
Repetition of Courses: Students may repeat courses that have been failed or for which Arnold Academics 2 12-07-2008 04:39 AM

What are the tough courses you encountered so far?

Old 10-16-2012 at 07:11 PM   #16
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Social Work 4DD6-Field Practicum II, the only course where you'll be called an "asshole" and told by people to "go to hell" when you won't take them to the food bank. Oh, and there was also that time when I had to call 911 when someone became violent in the office. I doubt anyone else has had to experience that in school :S

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

Old 10-16-2012 at 08:15 PM   #17
Osama

Liked: 6 Times

I've found Psychology 1X03 to be very tricky at times. The correct/incorrect answers are separated by a very thin line but maybe it's just the nature of the course. Add to that the weekly quizzes and it is easily the most difficult course I've encountered this semester! Can you please tell Dr. Kim to make the quizzes easier!?!
Old 10-16-2012 at 08:42 PM   #18
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Math 3C03, but it's probably because I'm not used to Dr. Minoo's unique teaching style...
Old 10-16-2012 at 08:54 PM   #19
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogurt View Post
Life Sci 2C03
Incredibly enjoyable course. Lots of content, but it is manageable. However, the exam crushes you.

Biology 2B03
Again, very enjoyable course with really great content, but the amount is just overwhelming. Even during summer, it was too much to handle.
Wow, Biology 2B03 is that INTENSE? So far, it seems "okay"
Old 10-16-2012 at 09:22 PM   #20
Phaint
Account Locked

Liked: 131 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osama View Post
I've found Psychology 1X03 to be very tricky at times. The correct/incorrect answers are separated by a very thin line but maybe it's just the nature of the course. Add to that the weekly quizzes and it is easily the most difficult course I've encountered this semester! Can you please tell Dr. Kim to make the quizzes easier!?!
1X03 actually used to be really annoying but I've heard he since made it a bunch easier and you get multiple quiz attempts and shit. Has no place in this thread, though.

Last edited by Phaint : 10-16-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-16-2012 at 09:29 PM   #21
Yogurt

Liked: 237 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggggg View Post
Wow, Biology 2B03 is that INTENSE? So far, it seems "okay"
The first half of the course was amazing and manageable.

But, it may be because I took it during summer, which had online lectures. This about doubled the workload compared to live lectures, as you have to watch the lecture, and then re-watch while taking notes, which totals to about 2.5x the length of a live lecture. For lectures ~2 hours in length, it drives you crazy.
Old 10-17-2012 at 12:48 AM   #22
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaint View Post
1X03 actually used to be really annoying but I've heard he since made it a bunch easier and you get multiple quiz attempts and shit. Has no place in this thread, though.
what do you mean 'has no place in this thread'. difficulty is subjective bro.
Old 10-17-2012 at 02:24 AM   #23
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A View Post
That's exactly what it is. Only a few of my friends/classmates actually found the concepts challenging but everyone I know who took that course when I did found that the assignments were just incredibly long and tedious, and the tests (midterm as well as final) were just as tedious and brutally long, but now with a significantly restricted time allotment.
Keep in mind everyone involved in the discussion about this course took it during a different year. The course has pretty much been rewritten from the ground up almost every year for the past few years.

I took it with Dr. Farmer, where we did OCaml and C. I wouldn't say the course was really that difficult, just functional programming took a while to wrap your head around.

It saddens me to see how many people after taking that regard functional programming as something completely useless.
Old 10-17-2012 at 02:29 AM   #24
Osama

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaint View Post
Actually, we still only get one attempt at each quiz and I've heard the course material is far more extensive now than it was in previous years, so if anything, it's only gotten harder!

AnanC206 likes this.
Old 10-17-2012 at 07:25 AM   #25
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

Psych 1x03 can be easy if you just stay on top of the material. I took it two years ago and I have no recollection of the quizzes being particularly pernicious. Make sure you do the Experimetrix for that course. It is free marks that can add up to over a full grade point. Do you experiments ASAP, because they all fill up toward the end. I know several people who missed out on those marks simply because they could not get space.
Old 10-17-2012 at 09:46 AM   #26
mohammyt

Liked: 103 Times

EE 3EJ4

d;qkhlwh
Old 10-17-2012 at 10:35 AM   #27
Phaint
Account Locked

Liked: 131 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osama View Post
Actually, we still only get one attempt at each quiz and I've heard the course material is far more extensive now than it was in previous years, so if anything, it's only gotten harder!
Oh, really. I guess he reverted after last year. He allowed my roommate to take each quiz 3 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
what do you mean 'has no place in this thread'. difficulty is subjective bro.
Nah, I'm here to decide.