MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
transfer 2nd year engineering courses jntyrhds Academics 3 11-24-2010 10:29 AM
Engineering Transfer incognito Academics 2 11-02-2010 02:35 AM
HELP Transfer into Engineering from Life Sci??? CelesteSkye Academics 4 07-02-2010 04:28 PM
transfer credits in 1st year engineering jntyrhds First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-12-2010 10:36 AM
Transfer into Engineering Aisha777 Academics 17 04-01-2010 08:53 AM

Transfer from humanities to engineering

Old 04-19-2011 at 04:05 PM   #16
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Wow. Not trying to be mean with this discouragement but hell yeah we have a heavy workload. I mean doing assignments and stuff is magable, but its next to impossible to do all the homework. Last semester I had from mon to fri , # of classes ( 8 4 6 3 8)= 29 hours and that doesn't include chem tutorials..seriously had no time for that on my timetable. While you enjoyed the math, is engineering what really interest you. btw for econ most first year take it as alot of people find micro and bird and its for the management program so no its really not a indicator. Did you take MATH 1M03 because somewhat similar to MATH 1ZA3 and to some part MATH 1ZB3 its no where near math 1ZC3 .
I would talk to a financial advisor first. since you have to do first year all over you dont have to know what stream you want, but what are your interest? Love to help.
Old 04-19-2011 at 04:12 PM   #17
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

transfer into econ, you wont be able to handle the workload in commerce or engineering
Old 04-19-2011 at 04:28 PM   #18
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Listen, this thread would be much more concise and perhaps useful to the poster or others viewing the thread without constant one sentence replies such as "troll omgomg why did your respondddddddddd"

just ignore... or post something useful....
Old 04-19-2011 at 05:17 PM   #19
Hyuuga

Liked: 0 Times

They didnt win... its all about 'perspective'...and I for one, got a kick out of this. It shows a great sense of humor, that or complete & total destruction for this person.
Old 04-19-2011 at 05:20 PM   #20
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyuuga View Post
They didnt win... its all about 'perspective'...and I for one, got a kick out of this. It shows a great sense of humor, that or complete & total destruction for this person.
... win-win?
Old 04-19-2011 at 05:22 PM   #21
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
... win-win?
.....Bi-winning?

AmyLia, MirandaC, RyanC, _Luu_ like this.
Old 04-19-2011 at 05:27 PM   #22
LBJ.MVP

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
.....Bi-winning?
tiger blood?
Old 04-19-2011 at 06:11 PM   #23
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
If you liked math and econ, I would suggest perhaps looking into commerce, as was previously mentioned, or even math&stats.
I wouldn't recommend going into math based on first-year. The stuff you see in first-year is much more representative of the math you'd encounter in science or engineering than the math you'd encounter as a math major (this isn't entirely true - as a math major, you do cover what the science / eng students learn, but it's not the main focus).

As for workload, you'd probably only see a modest increase in class time as a math major (relative to a humanities major), but you'd probably have to spend quite a lot more time thinking about your subject than, say, an engineer (where you can 'turn off' after you finish the boatloads of work you get). So, it depends on how you define 'work' - chances are that if you really like math, you won't even see the "state" of constant thought about math as work. Math (along with physics) really is a discipline where, at higher levels, your understanding makes the difference between a light workload and a very heavy one, since intuition matters more than mechanics (that is to say, knowing why matters more than knowing how).

Last edited by Mahratta : 04-19-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2011 at 08:59 PM   #24
AmyLia

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya View Post
Hi guys,
I am in first year humanities, but I find the workload to be too heavy. I took math and econ this year and I liked them and found easy, so I am planning to switch into engineering as it is more math related. I want to know if math and econ is a good indicator of engineering workload. And should I apply through OUAC as I will have to apply for 1st year.
Thanks

I'll answer your question quickly and simply: You will fail first semester of engineering if you found the workload in first year humanities to be too heavy. There is no debate on this topic, I guarantee it.
The math and econ courses you took are no indicator of what an engineering course load is like. Generally first and second year tends to be really bad and then it gets better but you'd have to make it past that, and I highly doubt that you would.
Not trying to be mean, just being dead honest. Almost half of 1st year engineering students fail, transfer or die by the end of the year.
Old 04-19-2011 at 09:01 PM   #25
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLia View Post
I'll answer your question quickly and simply: You will fail first semester of engineering if you found the workload in first year humanities to be too heavy. There is no debate on this topic, I guarantee it.
The math and econ courses you took are no indicator of what an engineering course load is like. Generally first and second year tends to be really bad and then it gets better but you'd have to make it past that, and I highly doubt that you would.
Not trying to be mean, just being dead honest. Almost half of 1st year engineering students fail, transfer or die by the end of the year.
That's right, die!
Old 04-24-2011 at 06:47 PM   #26
aditya

Liked: 0 Times

i m bi-winning!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinking 05:
Old 04-24-2011 at 07:36 PM   #27
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya View Post
i m bi-winning!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinking 05:
Thank you for sharing.
Old 04-24-2011 at 11:16 PM   #28
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjager View Post
MI should have a troll screening questionnaire, you know, like those bot screeners.

i.e. Do you know who pedobear is?
What is it supposed to mean if you know what pedobear is?

Also:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Can_t_Tell_if_Trolling.jpg (67.2 KB, 7 views)

Sintos likes this.
Old 04-25-2011 at 12:06 AM   #29
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

workload is prob 5 times more. dont go into eng if ur not good at picking up math/physics
Old 04-25-2011 at 01:53 AM   #30
Sintos

Liked: 85 Times

It's just a good thing they phased out Women Studies, I heard the work-load there was so much worse.