MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Ultimate Frisbee Vlahos Athletics & Recreation 7 09-09-2010 06:20 AM
How do we accept our program choice? goldfish101 Academics 5 05-31-2010 04:03 PM
Your drug of choice. lawleypop General Discussion 144 10-13-2009 06:24 PM
Free Choice in Engineering? A_L3 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 11-18-2008 08:41 AM

Ultimate Computer Brand Choice

Old 08-26-2010 at 12:23 PM   #1
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Ultimate Computer Brand Choice
Okay so that's the best title I could come up with.

I wanted to start a thread about the company that has the best laptops for Windows.

So what do you guys think and why?

Sony, HP, Toshiba, Dell, Acer, Gateway, or other?
Old 08-26-2010 at 12:32 PM   #2
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

I currently have a Fujitsu tablet and an Asus laptop.

Both have been great.

Don't go with HP.
Old 08-26-2010 at 12:35 PM   #3
dsouzajj2010

Liked: Liked 2 Times

computers over 500 and less than a 1000 are all the same
you will notice the shitty differances between computers less than 500
and to notice the good differences, you gotta go over the 1000 dollar price range

but from my experiences
sony - your really paying for the name brand
hp - good computer, i found it hard to find one without all the crazy designs they come with
toshiba - good computer, easy to find a plain looking one, i have a toshiba, 600$, runs better than anything ive had
dell- ummmmmmmm, if youve never had a dell before, dont start now, its not something great, and theyre service sucks
acer and gateway- never tried, never will, dont really care to, these arent as popular as a sony toshiba hp or dell for a reason

maybe theyre shit
haha

anyways good luck in your search
Old 08-26-2010 at 12:36 PM   #4
Carefree

Liked: 25 Times

The most important factor is the components in the laptop (CPU, Motherboard, RAM, GPU mainly). The build quality varies from maker to maker.

A 2010 Ford Mustang may be better than a 1980 Mercedes Benz, but it doesn't mean Ford make better cars than Mercedes...

All components being equal, Lenovo probably has the highest build quality, but their prices are a bit higher to reflect their superior quality.

temptingf8 likes this.
Old 08-26-2010 at 12:36 PM   #5
dsouzajj2010

downside to most hp's they heat up madddd fast

my toshiba doesnt tho
Old 08-26-2010 at 12:36 PM   #6
dsouzajj2010

ibm....the mercedes benz of laptops
Old 08-26-2010 at 12:44 PM   #7
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Sager is the way to go!

Old 08-26-2010 at 12:44 PM   #8
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

The toshiba laptops I've seen have had horrible manufacturing, but they were pretty old models.

HP laptops are put together relatively well.

Can't say much about anything else, other than build your own computer.

Old 08-26-2010 at 12:45 PM   #9
karan078

Liked: 0 Times

Iv been using a toshiba laptop for the last 4 yrs and it has never given me any problems.
I know a few people who have complained about their hp laptops heating up really really fast. Not sure if they chose bad models or if thats just a general problem in most hp laptops.

Here's a link that may help you out:
http://www.laptopmag.com/mobile-life...nd-rating.aspx
Old 08-26-2010 at 12:48 PM   #10
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsouzajj2010 View Post
downside to most hp's they heat up madddd fast
they definitely do.

ltswat says thanks to nila* for this post.

ltswat likes this.
Old 08-26-2010 at 12:49 PM   #11
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times

Just a few words about HP - my daughter bought one before her first year last year and her experience has been abysmal.

In one calendar year she has sent back the A/C adapter thrice, the battery twice, one of the faceplates has fallen off the side and 3 individual keys have fallen off, broken. In addition, she had 4 hours on a full battery out of the box, one year later, she gets barely 90 minutes and as someone else mentioned, that thing is warm enough to cause first degree burns on bare flesh when it's been running a while.

HTH.
Old 08-26-2010 at 12:50 PM   #12
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

The point is, laptops are all around useless.

If you want to take notes, get a netbook.

If you want to play games, build a desktop.

You could probably acquire both for about the same price as a fancy laptop anyways, and the desktop will beat the laptop to dust any day.

Old 08-26-2010 at 01:07 PM   #13
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF_CHAN View Post
Don't go with HP.
Back up your reasons? Im using HP.

ASUS is the best btw. Since they made certain parts of the computer as well, their overall system is much more reliable and well integrated as opposed to other companies.

Ive heard bad things about HP all the time, ive used it for 2 years now and have come across minor issues - where others have come across much bigger issues with other types of laptops. Also, with HP, its kinda hit and miss. It depends on your model #
Old 08-26-2010 at 01:08 PM   #14
mcmaster12

Liked: 6 Times

Ive had HP in the past. Its not bad, but it over heats so fast. Have had it for 2 years.

Just bought a lenovo T410s. Awesome computer. Excellent build quality, exceptional keyboard.

Someone mentioned above that 500-1000$ laptops are all the same, and i would have to agree. At that price range, there really isnt much to differentiate.

However, once you go past the $1000 mark, laptops starts to differ in terms of components, build quality, design.

If you want something solid, i'd go with lenovo. Their computers all got roll cages inside and the case is made out of some alloy or carbon fibre. Its exceptionally well built. You can't find another manufacturer that produces laptop with carbon fibre/magnesium alloy, etc.

These are my opinion based on my experiences. Others should definitely do their own research before making a decision and not decide purely based on other peoples opinion.

Last edited by mcmaster12 : 08-26-2010 at 01:12 PM.

daliwangsun, temptingf8 like this.
Old 08-26-2010 at 01:27 PM   #15
Shmowen
Absent-Minded Professor

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Back up your reasons? Im using HP.

ASUS is the best btw. Since they made certain parts of the computer as well, their overall system is much more reliable and well integrated as opposed to other companies.

Ive heard bad things about HP all the time, ive used it for 2 years now and have come across minor issues - where others have come across much bigger issues with other types of laptops. Also, with HP, its kinda hit and miss. It depends on your model #
Ya, I definitely agree - my 13.3" HP has withstood heavy usage for more than a year now, and I've had only minor problems with it.