MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Ultimate Frisbee Vlahos Athletics & Recreation 7 09-09-2010 06:20 AM
How do we accept our program choice? goldfish101 Academics 5 05-31-2010 04:03 PM
Your drug of choice. lawleypop General Discussion 144 10-13-2009 06:24 PM
Free Choice in Engineering? A_L3 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 11-18-2008 08:41 AM

Ultimate Computer Brand Choice

Old 08-26-2010 at 09:22 PM   #46
kristopherk

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theashe View Post
Lol, I can't believe I actually bitched out about the tech specs.

But anyway, my point being, you can buy a lot better, for a lot less.

You forgot to list the shiny Apple decal on the top of the shell. It actually costs over 9000 dollars to produce, and Apple is selling it to you at a loss, because they're cool like that.

MacPack likes this.
Old 08-26-2010 at 09:28 PM   #47
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristopherk View Post
You forgot to list the shiny Apple decal on the top of the shell. It actually costs over 9000 dollars to produce, and Apple is selling it to you at a loss, because they're cool like that.
Shit, you're right. Over 9000.

I changed my mind, the Macbook is a steal. :o

Last edited by Theashe : 08-26-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-26-2010 at 09:31 PM   #48
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Okay Wow I didn't expect to get this many posts. I decided to ask the question pretty open ended so other people could also read this.

While I have my own opinions I wanted to hear other opinions just about brands excluding Macs.
Old 08-26-2010 at 09:33 PM   #49
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theashe View Post
Lol, I can't believe I actually bitched out about the tech specs.

But anyway, my point being, you can buy a lot better, for a lot less.
That's arguable, you could definitely get better specs for less (for the higher end MacBooks you're paying a nearly $1000 premium over comparable PCs, spec-wise), but there are quite a few advantages with Macs that you just can't get with PCs. The support you get (from service centers and the genius bar) is absolutely amazing, the build quality for the macbook pros is comparable to Leveno while looking considerably better, the applecare warranty is pretty damn good, they're rather hard to **** up, they're still protected from viruses via obscurity, they all have great battery life, and their trackpads are amazing. That may not be enough to justify $1000 extra for everyone, but it is for a select group of people.
Old 08-26-2010 at 09:46 PM   #50
Theashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
Okay Wow I didn't expect to get this many posts. I decided to ask the question pretty open ended so other people could also read this.

While I have my own opinions I wanted to hear other opinions just about brands excluding Macs.
I have a Dell Studio XPS 16, and from the moment it came out of the box the F3 key was broken off. So, I called Dell tech support and after three hours of being on the phone trying to get to Dell Canada (I was told I was being transfered to Dell Canada and wound up talking to the States again) I finally got someone useful on the phone. One hour later he told me no one would come to my house to fix the laptop (a service I didn't know I had to pay for) so my only option was to ship it in for repairs, the day after I got it.

Eff that.

Luckily Dell shipped me a replacement keyboard the next day and I put it in the laptop myself.

Since then my experience has been nothing but good. Amazing performance, lightning fast. If I were to have one complaint it's in the fundamental design flaw of the Studio XPS 16: when the screen is open, it covers the heat exhaust for the laptop, stopping most of the escaping airflow. It does get a little warmer than I'd like when there's a load on it because of this.

Last edited by Theashe : 08-26-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-26-2010 at 10:39 PM   #51
changturkey

Liked: 9 Times

I've always liked Lenovo, really reliable. My Lenovo from 2003/2004 is still running fine. I actually like Acer, I've had very little problems with their products, and the prices are just right. HP, at least from what I heard from a friend who repairs them as a student job, uses the worst possible materials possible; they make the exterior look good to attract customers, but, the internals are just garbage (this is just what I heard.)
Old 08-26-2010 at 10:41 PM   #52
Theashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by changturkey View Post
I've always liked Lenovo, really reliable. My Lenovo from 2003/2004 is still running fine. I actually like Acer, I've had very little problems with their products, and the prices are just right. HP, at least from what I heard from a friend who repairs them as a student job, uses the worst possible materials possible; they make the exterior look good to attract customers, but, the internals are just garbage (this is just what I heard.)
Two words: Mark Hurd.
Old 08-26-2010 at 10:47 PM   #53
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

i had a 13 inch macbook pro, the track pad and battery life is amazing but i hated the glossy screen. I ended up buying a 13 Hp Probook with a matte screen. It has an i5 processor, 8gb of ram, 128gb SSD, aluminum palm rests and only weighs 4lbs. The build quality is amazing and it was 400 dollers cheaper than the 2.66 macbook pro. If others out there intend on buying hp buy from there probook line, the pavilion and envy line are pretty crappy.
Old 08-27-2010 at 10:24 AM   #54
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post

I advise you not to exclude Macs, I admit, I used to be a PC kind of guy until I purchased MacBook Pro. Their quality are superior. I loaded in Windows 7 and it knocked my socks off.

Pretty much you get what you paid for. I paid almost $2,000 for mere 13-inch last year and I don't regret a penny. I also got a free iPod touch, I use it to check my e-mails and news between classes, I love it!

When I build my third custom PC, I will be using those Apple Cinema Display as my monitor.

I can't believe I am actually supporting Mac products, I used to avoid them at all cost because I thought they are a bunch of amateurs who got greedy. I was wrong. They are not cheap for the consumer because it wasn't cheap for Apple to make.
Old 08-27-2010 at 11:58 AM   #55
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaltair View Post
When I build my third custom PC, I will be using those Apple Cinema Display as my monitor.
I thought the whole point of building a custom PC was so that it would cost less...

Aren't Apple's LCDs manufactured by sony (or maybe it's samsung), like every other display on the market?

I find the Samsung syncmaster monitors are generally really good for what you pay.
Old 08-27-2010 at 12:26 PM   #56
recyclebin12

Liked: 0 Times

I think this pretty much sums it up for ne mac vs pc arguement
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mac-PC.jpg (42.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-27-2010 at 12:53 PM   #57
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaltair View Post
I advise you not to exclude Macs, I admit, I used to be a PC kind of guy until I purchased MacBook Pro. Their quality are superior. I loaded in Windows 7 and it knocked my socks off.
Fail. If you want to defend macs, defend OSX. Having a mac with Windows 7 is pointless, just buy a Win7 machine and get much better specs for cheaper price.
Old 08-27-2010 at 01:03 PM   #58
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Fail. If you want to defend macs, defend OSX. Having a mac with Windows 7 is pointless, just buy a Win7 machine and get much better specs for cheaper price.
Meh, I think W7 is generally better than OSX while MacBooks are physically better than almost all PCs (though not $1000 better). You can defend MacBooks without defending the OS.
Old 08-27-2010 at 01:28 PM   #59
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailsnake View Post
Meh, I think W7 is generally better than OSX while MacBooks are physically better than almost all PCs (though not $1000 better). You can defend MacBooks without defending the OS.
Lol, sure you can defend it, but you cant defend it saying its better than a windows product if your USING a windows product on it.

Compare it side by side, OS for OS. OSX is terrible, incompatible, and will probably die once Chromium OS comes out.
Old 08-27-2010 at 01:33 PM   #60
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Lol, sure you can defend it, but you cant defend it saying its better than a windows product if your USING a windows product on it.

Compare it side by side, OS for OS. OSX is terrible, incompatible, and will probably die once Chromium OS comes out.
Chromium OS? Google's browser based linux? I thought that was already out...