MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Ultimate Frisbee Vlahos Athletics & Recreation 7 09-09-2010 06:20 AM
How do we accept our program choice? goldfish101 Academics 5 05-31-2010 04:03 PM
Your drug of choice. lawleypop General Discussion 144 10-13-2009 06:24 PM
Free Choice in Engineering? A_L3 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 11-18-2008 08:41 AM

Ultimate Computer Brand Choice

Old 08-27-2010 at 01:38 PM   #61
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

back on topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmaster12 View Post
Just bought a lenovo T410s. Awesome computer. Excellent build quality, exceptional keyboard.
YES!!!!!!!! The Lenovo T410 will probably be my next computer. I currently have a 5 year old IBM Thinkpad R51 with Windows 7 on it, and it is still soooooooooo awesome. Even for its age it has no trouble with any sort of day to day use other than maybe 1080i/p HD video.

They may be more pricey, but if you're looking at the ULTIMATE choice, Lenovo is probably one of your best bets. Amazing build quality, best keyboards, etc etc.
Old 08-27-2010 at 01:42 PM   #62
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Chromium OS? Google's browser based linux? I thought that was already out...
Official release isnt out yet
Old 08-27-2010 at 01:55 PM   #63
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Lol, sure you can defend it, but you cant defend it saying its better than a windows product if your USING a windows product on it.

Compare it side by side, OS for OS. OSX is terrible, incompatible, and will probably die once Chromium OS comes out.
I'm really going to have to see Chrome OS + Chrome Webstore apps in action before believing in it. Right now it focussed on netbooks and seems like it's heavily based on storing things on flash/external drives and I'd rather avoid that with a netbook. That's not going to be enough to kill OSX.
Old 08-27-2010 at 01:58 PM   #64
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Official release isnt out yet
Oh ok, will you be doing a review of it when it is officially released?
Old 08-27-2010 at 02:05 PM   #65
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Oh ok, will you be doing a review of it when it is officially released?
Yea hopefully Unless ENG III kills me before then

jhan523 says thanks to blackdragon for this post.

jhan523 likes this.
Old 08-27-2010 at 03:10 PM   #66
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I thought the whole point of building a custom PC was so that it would cost less...

Aren't Apple's LCDs manufactured by sony (or maybe it's samsung), like every other display on the market?

I find the Samsung syncmaster monitors are generally really good for what you pay.
That or making it more superior than most PCs out there. For instance, most PCs only have 1 video card. You can make it customizable and have three video cards in one tower. This enables the 3-way SLI.

Good question, I am not sure where Apple LCDs are being manufactured. However, I have gained a preference of glossy screens and their aluminum designs. It is not often where I see a system that has aluminum casting instead of ordinary plastic. I compared it to another monitor, NEC MultiSync 3090WQXi and yes, the NEC is superior than Apple Cinema but the display still looks awesome.

Quote:
Fail. If you want to defend macs, defend OSX. Having a mac with Windows 7 is pointless, just buy a Win7 machine and get much better specs for cheaper price.
What's the point defending the OSX? I am stating that MacBook Pro system satisfied all my needs and requirements. I'd rather spend $1800 on a machine that has similar specs to a $1000 system. Why?

I knew other laptops would fail on me within 2 years minimum. I had owned several brands before and my last one was a 17-inch Acer. It failed on me little over a year and the warranty expired. Trust me, I think these companies deviated those systems to die right after the warranty! I took 1ZZ5 and under probability section, there are equations that can deviate that. Anyways, It would have cost me at least $200 to replace the motherboard. It had one of the most decent specs of all time back then. Forget it!

I got fed up and decided to get a MacBook, it has been almost a year now and I still love it to death. Until laptops are easily customizable, I will have to stick with it.

Anyways, there is one thing I always like about OSX. I use it to watch movies with my girlfriend. For some strangest reason, using WMP makes it so... pixelated. I switch to OSX and it is crispy clear. There, happy?

I am not saying people need to get it but it should be added as an option. If they really hate Macs (like I used to), then try ASUS. That's all, until laptops are highly customizable like a PC, I'd avoid most of those named brands at all cost.
Old 08-27-2010 at 03:31 PM   #67
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaltair View Post
That or making it more superior than most PCs out there. For instance, most PCs only have 1 video card. You can make it customizable and have three video cards in one tower. This enables the 3-way SLI.

Good question, I am not sure where Apple LCDs are being manufactured. However, I have gained a preference of glossy screens and their aluminum designs. It is not often where I see a system that has aluminum casting instead of ordinary plastic. I compared it to another monitor, NEC MultiSync 3090WQXi and yes, the NEC is superior than Apple Cinema but the display still looks awesome.

What's the point defending the OSX? I am stating that MacBook Pro system satisfied all my needs and requirements. I'd rather spend $1800 on a machine that has similar specs to a $1000 system. Why?

I knew other laptops would fail on me within 2 years minimum. I had owned several brands before and my last one was a 17-inch Acer. It failed on me little over a year and the warranty expired. Trust me, I think these companies deviated those systems to die right after the warranty! I took 1ZZ5 and under probability section, there are equations that can deviate that. Anyways, It would have cost me at least $200 to replace the motherboard. It had one of the most decent specs of all time back then. Forget it!

I got fed up and decided to get a MacBook, it has been almost a year now and I still love it to death. Until laptops are easily customizable, I will have to stick with it.

Anyways, there is one thing I always like about OSX. I use it to watch movies with my girlfriend. For some strangest reason, using WMP makes it so... pixelated. I switch to OSX and it is crispy clear. There, happy?

I am not saying people need to get it but it should be added as an option. If they really hate Macs (like I used to), then try ASUS. That's all, until laptops are highly customizable like a PC, I'd avoid most of those named brands at all cost.
I think it all depends on how you use your system. Most people have failures due to abusing the system (not literally). Spyware/Viruses/Crapware are major causes of failure. Overworks the harddrive for no reason, which overworks the whole processor
Old 08-27-2010 at 04:20 PM   #68
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

LENOVO! Great build quality. Brilliant customer support. Looks 0 on 100.

temptingf8 likes this.
Old 08-27-2010 at 04:20 PM   #69
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Quote:
I think it all depends on how you use your system. Most people have failures due to abusing the system (not literally). Spyware/Viruses/Crapware are major causes of failure. Overworks the harddrive for no reason, which overworks the whole processor
I actually zero'd the harddrive on Acer and loaded in all of the drivers it needed to run. I also installed NOD32 on it just in case.

The hard drive failed on me, I bought another one through Newegg and the next thing I know, the motherboard failed on me months later.

It all adds up, blah!
Old 08-27-2010 at 05:00 PM   #70
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
I actually zero'd the harddrive on Acer and loaded in all of the drivers it needed to run. I also installed NOD32 on it just in case.

The hard drive failed on me, I bought another one through Newegg and the next thing I know, the motherboard failed on me months later.

It all adds up, blah!
Lol, bad luck i guess.

And btw, Hard drives are all the same, either seagate, wd, etc. Also - mac's now use intel. LOL.
Old 08-27-2010 at 05:08 PM   #71
Carefree

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
back on topic

YES!!!!!!!! The Lenovo T410 will probably be my next computer. I currently have a 5 year old IBM Thinkpad R51 with Windows 7 on it, and it is still soooooooooo awesome. Even for its age it has no trouble with any sort of day to day use other than maybe 1080i/p HD video.

They may be more pricey, but if you're looking at the ULTIMATE choice, Lenovo is probably one of your best bets. Amazing build quality, best keyboards, etc etc.
http://shoplenovo.i2.com/SEUILibrary...asscode=FNDEPP

Passcode: FNDEPP
Click on link above to see the newest code if this one's expired.

Coupon code: CAEBACKTOSCHOOL expires August 31, 2010

Additional 22% off ThinkPad W510
Additional 20% off ThinkPad T410, T410i, T410s, T510, W701 and W701ds
Additional 10% off ThinkPad Edge, ThinkPad X100e, SL410, SL510 and IdeaPad Y460, Y560
Additional 7% off ThinkPad L412/L512, S10-3, S10-3t, Y450 and G550

% off is from the lower EPP price (compared to normal consumer price).
What's also good about this is there's no minimum purchase to get the discount.
Old 08-27-2010 at 05:17 PM   #72
Carefree

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:

Spend $1800 on a Lenovo or another brand with half-decent build quality and it will be far more powerful than your Macbook and compatible with more software.

Quote:
Update the drivers of your video card. Don't use WMP for downloaded video, I didn't think people still used that. Use VLC or KMPlayer.
Old 08-27-2010 at 06:30 PM   #73
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
http://shoplenovo.i2.com/SEUILibrary...asscode=FNDEPP

Passcode: FNDEPP
Click on link above to see the newest code if this one's expired.

Coupon code: CAEBACKTOSCHOOL expires August 31, 2010

Additional 22% off ThinkPad W510
Additional 20% off ThinkPad T410, T410i, T410s, T510, W701 and W701ds
Additional 10% off ThinkPad Edge, ThinkPad X100e, SL410, SL510 and IdeaPad Y460, Y560
Additional 7% off ThinkPad L412/L512, S10-3, S10-3t, Y450 and G550

% off is from the lower EPP price (compared to normal consumer price).
What's also good about this is there's no minimum purchase to get the discount.
Yeah, the T410 goes on sale pretty often, every few months you can get something like 35% off if I remember correctly.

The problem is, I have a good desktop and the old R51 just refuses to die... I can't justify buying a new one
Old 08-27-2010 at 07:36 PM   #74
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

I agree with LENOVO. I got the t500 and have had zero problems. I often use it on my lap or a blanket at maximum performance and it never seems hot. The keyboard is great and battery life is far better than average. I will get approx 5 hrs on max performance and 8.5 hours on max battery life (9 cell battery). Definitely look for deals tho. I got 30% off when i bought mine and it brought the price to $1200...for what was the fastest HDD, CPU, RAM. Finally, i believe the current t500s does not have usb 3.0 whereas the w500 does, for a small price increase (if specs are still the same); something you may want to look out for if you want it for 4 years or so
Old 08-27-2010 at 07:41 PM   #75
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
Yeah, the T410 goes on sale pretty often, every few months you can get something like 35% off if I remember correctly.

The problem is, I have a good desktop and the old R51 just refuses to die... I can't justify buying a new one

lol. 1) turn on virus scanner...hide icon
2) open up solid edge/auto cad
3) show parents massive lag
4) "i need a new portable computer than can run mandatory programs.."

MacPack likes this.