MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MUGSI/SOLAR Rage goodnews.inc Academics 212 09-09-2011 06:53 AM
is anyone else in mugsi but cant open solar? belindz! First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-11-2010 01:08 PM
MUGSI - SOLAR problem harshey13 Academics 9 06-14-2010 04:52 PM
Why is everyone on MUGSI/Solar? sweetrachel First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 08-31-2009 07:43 PM
MUGSI and SOLAR won't let me on! ND_ftw First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 30 08-13-2009 11:03 AM

United Arab Emirates + MUGSI/SOLAR = Possible?

Old 07-02-2009 at 07:43 PM   #1
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

United Arab Emirates + MUGSI/SOLAR = Possible?
Any people who have gone to the Middle East (specifically the UAE using Etisalat) and been able to access MUGSI/SOLAR?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-03-2009 at 12:29 AM   #2
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Any people who have gone to the Middle East (specifically the UAE using Etisalat) and been able to access MUGSI/SOLAR?
I would imagine that you should be able to connect to MUGSI/SOLAR from most place in the world. It would probably just be REALLY slow.
Old 07-03-2009 at 12:41 AM   #3
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
I would imagine that you should be able to connect to MUGSI/SOLAR from most place in the world. It would probably just be REALLY slow.
I chose my courses last year from Pakistan in July last year, there wasn't that much of an issue, infact It wasn't much different from SOLAR here. Though Since I chose them 4-5 days after the start date the traffic probably wasn't that much?

I guess its probably because SOLAR doesn't use that much bandwidth that needs to be downloaded, I mean after all it does run on two Casio calculators hooked together with a SATA cable with everything stored on a zip drive(remember those?)

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 07-03-2009 at 12:59 AM   #4
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

I just gotta say. Yay UAE!

DMe3 likes this.
Old 07-03-2009 at 01:52 AM   #5
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoozik View Post

How long did you live there?
Which place?

I'll be honest upfront though. I don't really enjoy how....fast and unstably Dubai is sky rocketing upward

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-03-2009 at 01:52 AM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
How long did you live there?
Which place?

I'll be honest upfront though. I don't really enjoy how....fast and unstably Dubai is sky rocketing upward
Those islands look so beautiful though.
Old 07-03-2009 at 01:54 AM   #7
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoozik View Post

Women's Studies!
That's really cool
What motivated you to pursue that?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-03-2009 at 02:01 AM   #8
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Those islands look so beautiful though.
So much slave labour used in the process...
Don't get me wrong.
The Middle East has beautiful touching aspects of its culture; the way man stands beside man in prayer, how generosity pours out of each soul in Ramadhan, watching the palm trees sway in the breeze and going on field trips to the dairy factories and watching the cows and getting free juice and yoghurt and milk.

Some wonderful things...but...it's so flashy now. For me personally. And...a lot of...injustice and inequality.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-03-2009 at 05:01 AM   #9
a-max

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
I don't see why not, Etisalat (AFAIK) only actively blocks the fun stuff and is fast enough for most other things.

Although, last time I was there ('04) everyone I knew was on dial-up. IM was a pain...

goodnews.inc says thanks to a-max for this post.
Old 07-03-2009 at 08:34 AM   #10
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
So much slave labour used in the process...
Don't get me wrong.
...weren't those built by a bunch of French guys? I remember seeing it on the discovery channel. They were all pissed because their super mega ultra drilling / island making machine broke, and they had to send it back to France for repairs.
Old 07-03-2009 at 08:41 AM   #11
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

Dubai is going to collapse onto itself with all those inside out skyscrapers and underwater skyscrapers and tallest everything in the world and who knows what else. It's a bit much. And really when you go there it isn't all that pretty with the construction EVERYWHERE making a 20 minute drive actually an hour long drive. And of course nobody there knows HOW to drive so that doesn't help either. Okay I'm done.
Old 07-03-2009 at 09:43 AM   #12
ayiri

Liked: 7 Times

i would say its definitly possible. I picked my first year courses last year form Kuwait, and second year in Qatar this year sooooo why not the U.A.E.

p.s. i was born in Abu Dhabi

goodnews.inc says thanks to ayiri for this post.
Old 07-03-2009 at 10:02 AM   #13
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

=p Mugsi worked in India.

I don't think there would be any issues connecting to Mugsi/SOLAR unless you have a spotty internet connection.

goodnews.inc says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 07-03-2009 at 11:49 AM   #14
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-max View Post
I don't see why not, Etisalat (AFAIK) only actively blocks the fun stuff and is fast enough for most other things.

Although, last time I was there ('04) everyone I knew was on dial-up. IM was a pain...
I'm on dial up but just plan to use a broadband connection @ the Internet cafe the day before to see how it feel

The charges go through the roof

Can't click on any page that mentions sex though...or use Skype

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-03-2009 at 11:49 AM   #15
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin90 View Post
Dubai is going to collapse onto itself with all those inside out skyscrapers and underwater skyscrapers and tallest everything in the world and who knows what else. It's a bit much. And really when you go there it isn't all that pretty with the construction EVERYWHERE making a 20 minute drive actually an hour long drive. And of course nobody there knows HOW to drive so that doesn't help either. Okay I'm done.

Abu Dhabi > Dubai.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences