MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does anyone know what radio station Pulse (gym) is playing? nawedc Athletics & Recreation 7 11-17-2011 12:08 AM
Woah! Computer playing Jeopardy! phln3 General Discussion 5 01-14-2011 01:29 AM
Playing with food... xxsumz Body & Food 0 11-08-2010 09:57 AM
Alexisonfire and the Arkells playing Welcome Week!! etoilex3 MacInsiders Announcements 85 09-12-2010 01:13 PM
Playing pool at Mac? _Luu_ General Discussion 18 08-31-2010 06:12 PM

What Video Games are you playing over the Holidays?

Old 12-16-2011 at 02:35 PM   #61
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
SWTOR is the worst. Makes me sad.
Too bad. It was such a good series up until the sith lords (even though i did not like the ending) now back to lego star wars.....
Old 12-16-2011 at 04:58 PM   #62
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

Sonic Generations, Batman Arkham City, Mario kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, Uncharted 3 multilayer.
Old 12-16-2011 at 05:22 PM   #63
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattatmac View Post
I think we'll have to wait for Bioware to release C&C Generals 2 before we categorize them as defunct company tier.

I don't know why EA keeps trying to license out Bioware to games that aren't RPG's...
You haven't played Mass Effect 2 or Dragon Age II, have you?
Old 12-16-2011 at 06:15 PM   #64
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
You haven't played Mass Effect 2 or Dragon Age II, have you?
I haven't played Dragon Age 2 because it was Call of Duty: Medieval Edition, I played Mass Effect 2 and thought it was actually a decent upgrade upon the fundamentals in the original. Of course because Mass Effect has since become popular /v/ hates it to death for no logical reason.
Old 12-16-2011 at 07:01 PM   #65
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I haven't played Dragon Age 2 because it was Call of Duty: Medieval Edition, I played Mass Effect 2 and thought it was actually a decent upgrade upon the fundamentals in the original.
I disagree. If by "decent upgrade", you mean, "removing everything RPG-related as well as anything worth laboring to fix entirely", then yes, I'd call it a "decent upgrade."

Quote:
Of course because Mass Effect has since become popular /v/ hates it to death for no logical reason.
/v/ hates everything to death for no logical reason...

Although, having gotten the gist of the leaked Mass Effect 3 script, I think they'll have more than enough reason to hate what the series has become after its release.

Snowman likes this.
Old 12-16-2011 at 07:30 PM   #66
mattatmac
the heartbreak kid

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
I disagree. If by "decent upgrade", you mean, "removing everything RPG-related as well as anything worth laboring to fix entirely", then yes, I'd call it a "decent upgrade."

/v/ hates everything to death for no logical reason...

Although, having gotten the gist of the leaked Mass Effect 3 script, I think they'll have more than enough reason to hate what the series has become after its release.
I'm kind of curious of what they removed from the original Mass Effect that makes people come to this conclusion. In my playthrough I only noticed additions rather than the removal of anything truly fundamental to the RPG experience.

- The scars on your face added a sense of progress
- Paragon and Renegade dialogue were entertaining as opposed to the original
- Dune buggy missions replaced to a mining pseudo-mini game

These all seemed like improvements to me, and if anyone played it on the PC they were amazed at how efficiently it was coded.
Old 12-16-2011 at 08:06 PM   #67
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I'm kind of curious of what they removed from the original Mass Effect that makes people come to this conclusion. In my playthrough I only noticed additions rather than the removal of anything truly fundamental to the RPG experience.
-No inventory, little to no loot.
-Streamlined character development.
-Simplified weapon and armor upgrades.
-Explorable (albeit repetitious) worlds replaced with linear built levels and planet scanning.
-Terrible sidequests that are somehow worse than the first's (despite that they mentioned improving sidequests would be a major focus of the sequel).
-And so on.

Truthfully, I always saw Mass Effect as a WRPG with (badly polished) shooter elements. Mass Effect 2, on the other hand, is the complete opposite.

Quote:
These all seemed like improvements to me, and if anyone played it on the PC they were amazed at how efficiently it was coded.
I can agree with you there. Mass Effect was an incredibly ambitious game, but it suffered its share of technical issues, as did many others running on the Unreal Engine 3 tech at the time. Mass Effect 2 took these problems and chucked them out the window.

Snowman likes this.
Old 12-16-2011 at 11:27 PM   #68
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Kinda random, but how is the Fallout series? I'm mostly an RPG (essp fantasy based) kind of girl, and I've never been into FPS... but it seems good...lol...?
Old 12-16-2011 at 11:34 PM   #69
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Kinda random, but how is the Fallout series? I'm mostly an RPG (essp fantasy based) kind of girl, and I've never been into FPS... but it seems good...lol...?
Fallout and Fallout 2 are legendary. Fallout 3 is a disgrace to the series.

Last edited by Grover : 12-16-2011 at 11:39 PM.

britb likes this.
Old 12-17-2011 at 12:26 AM   #70
andrewjdg

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngStud View Post
I got bored of Skyrim, don't get it if you're not getting it on PC. The mods are what makes the game good.
Good way to ruin the game.
Old 12-17-2011 at 01:23 AM   #71
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

Quote:
-No inventory, little to no loot.
-Streamlined character development.
-Simplified weapon and armor upgrades.
-Explorable (albeit repetitious) worlds replaced with linear built levels and planet scanning.
-Terrible sidequests that are somehow worse than the first's (despite that they mentioned improving sidequests would be a major focus of the sequel).
-And so on.

Truthfully, I always saw Mass Effect as a WRPG with (badly polished) shooter elements. Mass Effect 2, on the other hand, is the complete opposite.
I completley agree. when i played mass effect 2, i was confused at first how the lack of inventory would pan out but it did really well. the only problem i had was scanning planets for resources for upgrades which was like scanning your wall from 10 cm and looking for all the bumps. besides that i was impressed
Old 12-17-2011 at 05:51 AM   #72
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
I haven't played Dragon Age 2 because it was Call of Duty: Medieval Edition.
It wasn't as good as the first, but it wasn't that bad. You still had choices, but there weren't as many nor were they too complex. The fighting system was more streamlined, yet similar to its predecessor. Some choices you made in the last game carried over, too.
Old 12-17-2011 at 01:19 PM   #73
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misspolitics View Post
Masterquest is amazing! Is it included in the 3DS version? I have the original master quest for the gamecube and it would be great if it was portable to play anywhere.

Yea, it's included on the 3DS. It is pretty awesome when you can play Zelda anywhere

Misspolitics likes this.
Old 12-17-2011 at 03:11 PM   #74
Misspolitics

Liked: 96 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeGamer31 View Post
Yea, it's included on the 3DS. It is pretty awesome when you can play Zelda anywhere
Well, maybe it's not too late to ask my brothers to combine my Christmas gift into a 3DS from both of them
Old 12-17-2011 at 04:43 PM   #75
Schleifer_1

Liked: 17 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeGamer31 View Post
I got that game too! I can't wait to get some real progress in that game - I'd never played it on any other console.