MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Exam Guardians" - Free 1st year exam help concept Mowicz Academics 39 12-20-2010 11:30 PM
Env Sci 1A03 exam Sameen Academics 2 06-19-2010 06:38 PM
miss an exam? nikJ Academics 10 12-08-2009 12:04 AM
Cherenkov Radiation Viewing at Mac Reactor huzaifa47 General Discussion 3 07-12-2009 06:45 PM
Exam Help JokrJon Academics 3 02-27-2009 09:26 PM

Viewing an exam

Old 12-23-2010 at 08:42 PM   #1
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Viewing an exam
Is it just me or is the process for reviewing an exam really long and tedious. I don't understand why it's so much more difficult and thorough compared to viewing a midterm. Refer to the following example from Bio 2D03 course page:
"If you wish to view your Biology 2D03 December 2010 final exam, you must make a written application to the Chair of Biology's office. Attached to this news item is the final exam application form. When the form is received in the Biology department, you will be notified as to when your appointment to view your exam will be. It is standard policy to not make these appointments until after the deferred exams are written (deferred exams are usually held during Reading week in February). When you view your exam you cannot argue for more marks. You can only look it over. If you feel that it was not marked correctly you then apply to the Dean of Science for a formal re-read of the entire exam. There is a fee for a re-read but the fee is refunded if your mark for the course changes as a result fo the exam re-read."
Old 12-23-2010 at 08:46 PM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Idk why everything with the bio department is so tedious and involves so much red tape. With chem, we just ask the prof. With larger classes, they sometimes set a block of time aside when people can come by.
Old 12-23-2010 at 08:51 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Idk why everything with the bio department is so tedious and involves so much red tape. With chem, we just ask the prof. With larger classes, they sometimes set a block of time aside when people can come by.
I'm starting to notice that trend too. I just don't get why you must fill out all these forms just to view an exam. It wouldn't take 10-15 minutes with the IA, or even a TA. Shouldn't the rules be the same within the entire faculty of science?!
Old 12-23-2010 at 08:57 PM   #4
shes-a-diva*

Liked: 18 Times

I've come to the realization that every faculty staff member at Mac is either normal, or has a seriously large pickle up somewhere.....

I know this is off on a tangent a bit, but I had an exam rescheduled to the next day as opposed to during reading week because I emailed the Prof explaining my situation... I know theres normally a procedure that has to be followed though
Old 12-23-2010 at 08:59 PM   #5
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

bio department sucks here uggggggggggggh yet the only thing i can do is biology
Old 12-23-2010 at 09:10 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
bio department sucks here uggggggggggggh yet the only thing i can do is biology
I know, Biology is the only subject that I can actually bear. It sucks that Biology has to be the one department that's like that :/ (I haven't heard of others.. yet).
Old 12-23-2010 at 09:13 PM   #7
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

I'm pretty sure I've heard worse, where you need to write a letter to them giving reasons as to why you want to view it.

This may just be me talking out my ass, but I swear I've heard that.

Old 12-23-2010 at 09:21 PM   #8
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

i want to see that exam too
Old 12-23-2010 at 09:40 PM   #9
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

They're probably strict because they have to accommodate so many students at once. Ideally, they should let students book a time to see their exam (chem 2oa3/2ob3 style).

The thing with exams though is that they are (usually) marked more fairly than midterms. For example, either one person (the prof) does the marking or it is done in groups but by assigning one question to each person (so that marking is consistent).
Old 12-23-2010 at 09:48 PM   #10
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times

wow I love that you have to pay a fee to get your exam looked at again....
Old 12-23-2010 at 09:50 PM   #11
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post

The thing with exams though is that they are (usually) marked more fairly than midterms. For example, either one person (the prof) does the marking or it is done in groups but by assigning one question to each person (so that marking is consistent).
Oh yeah, that's true. I never thought of that. But even then, I would think that you still have some type of right to see your own exam, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPat View Post
I know! And even better, it only gets refunded if a discrepancy in the marking is found...Sigh
Old 12-24-2010 at 12:24 AM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPat View Post
Keeps the professors from having to look over a lot of exams, especially now that they are teaching another course and have to prep everything for that.
Old 12-24-2010 at 12:46 AM   #13
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Keeps the professors from having to look over a lot of exams, especially now that they are teaching another course and have to prep everything for that.
True.. but shouldn't they also be willing to help students at all times and all that, especially without having to pay a fee for it >_<
Old 12-24-2010 at 01:27 AM   #14
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

W.T.F.

I'm not gonna remember anything about the exam by the time reading week rolls by. Maybe that's just another tactic of theirs, to hold it off until a point at which we don't care anymore about past semester since we're so tied up on current content.

I hope the psych department is not as retarded about exam viewing since I was planning to talk my way up 5%... :/
Old 12-24-2010 at 01:29 AM   #15
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post
W.T.F.

I'm not gonna remember anything about the exam by the time reading week rolls by. Maybe that's just another tactic of theirs, to hold it off until a point at which we don't care anymore about past semester since we're so tied up on current content.

I hope the psych department is not as retarded about exam viewing since I was planning to talk my way up 5%... :/
I know! I swear they make this process so tedious just to keep people away from actually doing it. The psych department was really good about midterms last year, so I assume they'll be at least somewhat better than bio -_-