MacInsiders Logo
Old 08-18-2010 at 10:08 PM   #16
belindz!
Faculty: Science
Year: Fifth

Liked: 17 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo View Post
Your likely going to want to contact the sprint coach, Erik Enders, at [email protected]. He should be able to tell you everything you need to know.

Basically as far as I've seen the sprinters do some on there own strength work in the summer and then start doing team workouts in the fall.

The track head coach is Paula Schnurr, [email protected] com, and the other coaches are Rory Sneyd [email protected] cmaster.ca, and Pete Self [email protected].

If your interested in the sprints or field events definitely contact Enders first, but the other coaches will help you too. If your interested in the middle distance and cross country contact Schnurr, Sneyd and Self.

I'm on the cross country and track team so I can answer some of your questions.
hey im interested in throwing so shouldi contact enders? and do you know if throwers start later on in the year since ther is jacksquat that we can do indoor?
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Add negative rating0Add positive rank
Old 08-18-2010 at 10:57 PM   #17
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 361 Times
When I did Sprint Track back in 08 with Coach Enders we had our practices Mo-Fri 5-7pm and then Saturday at 10am. (Sunday being rest)

There wasn't a try out or cutoff till November though, right before the first meet traditionally at Western.

All you had to do was sign up and start training and you would slowly be acclimatized and integrated into the system. The workouts would increase in intensity and more importantly repetitions every week.

The Cutoff in November was based on attendance, effort and performance in the 30 second run(250+ Meters is good enough for sprinters).

Though I'm not sure if things will change now that Coach Schurr is in charge and the team has a grant to attract better athletes etc.

Also we didn't have throwers, Javelin etc on our team back then. We had a couple of Long Jump & High Jumpers but they trained the same workouts with the Sprinters except a couple of days where they would get off to practice.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Yay, a banner break...Thanks to our sponsors we're able to keep our server going!

Old 08-18-2010 at 11:05 PM   #18
belindz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
When I did Sprint Track back in 08 with Coach Enders we had our practices Mo-Fri 5-7pm and then Saturday at 10am. (Sunday being rest)

There wasn't a try out or cutoff till November though, right before the first meet traditionally at Western.

All you had to do was sign up and start training and you would slowly be acclimatized and integrated into the system. The workouts would increase in intensity and more importantly repetitions every week.

The Cutoff in November was based on attendance, effort and performance in the 30 second run(250+ Meters is good enough for sprinters).

Though I'm not sure if things will change now that Coach Schurr is in charge and the team has a grant to attract better athletes etc.

Also we didn't have throwers, Javelin etc on our team back then. We had a couple of Long Jump & High Jumpers but they trained the same workouts with the Sprinters except a couple of days where they would get off to practice.

thank you so much. my worst fears came true wen i read u dont have throwers :( is this because there is no one to coach throwers since all the coaches are experienced in running? im gonna call up and see whats up but thanks again mucho
Old 08-18-2010 at 11:17 PM   #19
huzaifa47
MSU Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by belindz! View Post
thank you so much. my worst fears came true wen i read u dont have throwers :( is this because there is no one to coach throwers since all the coaches are experienced in running? im gonna call up and see whats up but thanks again mucho
Well there hasn't been much of an interest, Our track program is an offshoot of our successful and established Cross Country Program. Other Schools have invested much more into the Field Events and hence at meets McMaster often never had anyone representing Field Events.

But the equipment was there in the storage area incase anyone ever wanted to compete.

Old 08-18-2010 at 11:25 PM   #20
belindz!

yea thats wat it was like in high school i was the only thrower and i still wanna throw so ill definitely make an attempt
Old 08-19-2010 at 02:48 PM   #21
waldo
Program: Engineering Physics
Year: Fourth

Liked: 4 Times
Yah sadly we don't haven't any throwers or any real throwing coach, but definitely contact coach enders and I'm sure he will be more than happy to help you as much as he can.

It would be pretty friggen sweet if you do decide to rough it on your own and are able to compete for mac. Not only would you likely write the record books (very few if any throwers have ever competed for mac so you have a good shot at setting/breaking school records) but it would be very nice for the rest of us on the track team to finally have throwers to cheer for.

I will probably be meeting with Coach Schnurr next week so if you have any more questions I will pass them forward.
Old 08-19-2010 at 02:58 PM   #22
belindz!

Quote:
Yah sadly we don't haven't any throwers or any real throwing coach, but definitely contact coach enders and I'm sure he will be more than happy to help you as much as he can.

It would be pretty friggen sweet if you do decide to rough it on your own and are able to compete for mac. Not only would you likely write the record books (very few if any throwers have ever competed for mac so you have a good shot at setting/breaking school records) but it would be very nice for the rest of us on the track team to finally have throwers to cheer for.

I will probably be meeting with Coach Schnurr next week so if you have any more questions I will pass them forward.
thanks so much!! enders said there isn\t a javelin and discus program available (well see about that) but i can try the hammer throw which ill definitely do. If you can ask about javelin and discus wen u see head coach please let me kno what she says i cant get a hold of anyone except enders!

thanks again!
Old 08-19-2010 at 03:07 PM   #23
waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by belindz! View Post
thanks so much!! enders said there isn\t a javelin and discus program available (well see about that) but i can try the hammer throw which ill definitely do. If you can ask about javelin and discus wen u see head coach please let me kno what she says i cant get a hold of anyone except enders!

thanks again!
Actually all that is offered during the university track season is hammer throw and shot put. Javelin and discus aren't allowed because they can't do them on indoor tracks due to there smaller size, and there is no outdoor university track and field season in Canada so if you want to do javelin and discus you can do some training during the school year but you will have to wait for the summer club season to compete.
Old 08-19-2010 at 03:17 PM   #24
belindz!

Quote:
Actually all that is offered during the university track season is hammer throw and shot put. Javelin and discus aren't allowed because they can't do them on indoor tracks due to there smaller size, and there is no outdoor university track and field season in Canada so if you want to do javelin and discus you can do some training during the school year but you will have to wait for the summer club season to compete.
oh okay i understand now, thanks again
Old 08-19-2010 at 03:46 PM   #25
jordan18
Program: Science
Year: Second

Liked: Liked 3 Times
Belindz did you email coach enders or call him? Cause I emailed him like 2 days ago and he hasnt replied >.<
Old 08-26-2010 at 03:21 PM   #26
BycKo
Year: First

Liked: 0 Times
Oh wow. Thank god I joined macinsiders and looked around for track&field stuff
I've also been wondering if there was a field team/coach but I guess field athletes are more or less on their own (other than training)

I'll be a high jumper btw and hoping to break mac's record within a year or two

I contacted the admin who told me to contact coach schnurr but it looks like her email isn't working or non-existent

If any of you guys could give me any info at all about [email protected] (like if you know anyone who competed in it, what they did for training, who coached them, etc), please let me know!

Edit: I was also wondering how hard it is to keep up with school work while being committed to track? Thanks for any answers guys

Last edited by BycKo : 08-26-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-27-2010 at 01:48 PM   #27
waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BycKo View Post
If any of you guys could give me any info at all about [email protected] (like if you know anyone who competed in it, what they did for training, who coached them, etc), please let me know!

Edit: I was also wondering how hard it is to keep up with school work while being committed to track? Thanks for any answers guys
Dan Minnesma highjumped at mac a couple years ago and made it CIS. I don't think she is around anymore but Gloria Spirou used to coach him. Contact Eric Enders ([email protected]) as he will at least be overseeing your training.

As for school work, even if you go to every practice, and are on the bus every weekend in season it is not hard to keep up with school work. You learn to budget your time like any other student, but you have the added benefit of daily stress relief/mental break, through workouts.

BycKo says thanks to waldo for this post.
Old 08-27-2010 at 10:40 PM   #28
BycKo
Year: First

Liked: 0 Times
Quote:
Dan Minnesma highjumped at mac a couple years ago and made it CIS. I don't think she is around anymore but Gloria Spirou used to coach him. Contact Eric Enders ([email protected]) as he will at least be overseeing your training.

As for school work, even if you go to every practice, and are on the bus every weekend in season it is not hard to keep up with school work. You learn to budget your time like any other student, but you have the added benefit of daily stress relief/mental break, through workouts.
Alright thanks for the answers!
Old 08-28-2010 at 12:24 AM   #29
drew4008
Year: Third

Liked: 13 Times
I was just wondering what the best times were for you guys saying you wanted to try-out for track... just wanted to get a rough estimate of what it'd take to make the squad.
Old 08-28-2010 at 04:11 AM   #30
huzaifa47
MSU Staff

Drew, A Good estimate would be to do the 30 second run and aim for 250+ Meters. I think the record in 2008 Track Team was around 270+. Obviously its not a perfect system but it does provide a good estimate of where you stand, Though the Coach also measured 0-10, 10-20 distances to the nearest 10th degree as well to be fair to the short distance(60m) sprinters.

It is done with a running start from the righthand side starting line of the back track and you run towards the regular front track finish line. After the 100m Starting line(which for you would be 200m) start putting cones/markers at every 10m.

Not a member of MacInsiders? Signup now and gain full access to our student community!
Ask questions, get informed, and get involved!
Closed Thread