MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weird Food Combinations You've Had AdelaisAer Body & Food 10 10-03-2010 12:16 AM
Is it weird that some new books are cheaper than used? sinthusized General Discussion 7 09-11-2009 08:45 PM
Getting Weird Calls on Campus Phone johnaa General Discussion 7 01-23-2009 08:14 PM
weird question!! ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-28-2008 12:48 PM
weird but true!!!! joset2 General Discussion 1 06-14-2007 02:52 PM

Weird things in class

Old 10-01-2009 at 10:11 AM   #16
conster

Liked: 9 Times

I had Childs for STATS 2B03, and instead of formulas, my notes are COVERED in quotes by him.

Did he show you the overhead of the student that fell asleep and got beat up for it?
Old 10-01-2009 at 10:25 AM   #17
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

When I was in first year, a few people dressed up like Pacman and the ghosts chased each other around one of giant rooms in MDCL. It was absolutely hilarious.

As for annoying things? A couple weeks ago I was in a huge lecture and the girl behind me was listening to music on her laptop. Without headphones. I told her to shut it off and she totally ignored me. I don't understand why anyone would think that doing that would be a good idea.
Old 10-01-2009 at 12:20 PM   #18
Great Fatsby

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
People sleeping in class, not paying attention, etc.. Why even go to class?
Whenever I spot someone asleep during lecture I find it inexplicably hilarious and it's hard to keep my laughter contained. Especially when they're in deep REM sleep and sprawled out on the desk. God help me if I hear that *very light* snoring sound I may have to leave the room to regain my composure.
Old 10-01-2009 at 12:36 PM   #19
MacEng

Liked: 125 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by conster View Post
I had Childs for STATS 2B03, and instead of formulas, my notes are COVERED in quotes by him.

Did he show you the overhead of the student that fell asleep and got beat up for it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWyxasyTfy8

Last edited by MacEng : 10-01-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-01-2009 at 12:50 PM   #20
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

In second year, I was sitting near the back of the lecutre hall when a girl beside me answered her cell phone. She said "No no, it's okay, I can talk - I'm sitting at the back".

Apparently sitting at the back of the lecture means you don't have to be respectful of other students trying to learn.
Old 10-01-2009 at 12:55 PM   #21
Flag

Liked: 35 Times

Is it acceptable to tell loud people off during lectures?
Old 10-01-2009 at 01:02 PM   #22
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEng View Post
I'll probably get reamed out for this, but I find it REALLY annoying when profs say things about people sleeping in lectures. Yeah, it's not ideal, but people pay to go to lecture - they should be able to sleep if they want. If they are snoring ridiculously loud, then someone should tap them and wake them up. But if they are sleeping silently, why does anyone care? It doesn't bother anyone and doesn't hinder anyone's learning.

I've fallen asleep in class once, in second year. And I know the reason I was so tired was because of personal issues that were out of my control. It's not fair for profs to assume "That student is sleeping, therefore they are lazy and don't care about school at all and deserve to be called out in front of the class!"
Even if they are tired from being up all night/hungover/whatever, why is that a big deal?
It really annoys me when profs point out sleeping students. I'm not being distracted by them until the prof wastes time by saying something.
Old 10-01-2009 at 01:07 PM   #23
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

It should also be mentioned that if you're so tired that you'll fall asleep in class, then you're not going to learn anything anyways... might as well go home and sleep where you'll be more comfortable.
Old 10-01-2009 at 01:16 PM   #24
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flag View Post
Even though they're being rude it is probably best to politely and quietly ask them to be quiet once. Then if continue to distract you and hinder your learning tell them again, more forcefully. If they still don't STFU I would say it's acceptable to then tell them off.

Usually just turning around and giving them a look works though if they're not a totally oblivious *******.
Old 10-01-2009 at 01:32 PM   #25
MacEng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flag View Post
There were times in a few of my classes where a shut the phuck up was used.
Old 10-01-2009 at 01:34 PM   #26
MacEng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I'll probably get reamed out for this, but I find it REALLY annoying when profs say things about people sleeping in lectures. Yeah, it's not ideal, but people pay to go to lecture - they should be able to sleep if they want. If they are snoring ridiculously loud, then someone should tap them and wake them up. But if they are sleeping silently, why does anyone care? It doesn't bother anyone and doesn't hinder anyone's learning.

I've fallen asleep in class once, in second year. And I know the reason I was so tired was because of personal issues that were out of my control. It's not fair for profs to assume "That student is sleeping, therefore they are lazy and don't care about school at all and deserve to be called out in front of the class!"
Even if they are tired from being up all night/hungover/whatever, why is that a big deal?
It really annoys me when profs point out sleeping students. I'm not being distracted by them until the prof wastes time by saying something.
Its probably nothing personal, but one of my profs did it just to keep things interesting. He once noticed a student sleeping at the back of the class, and à la Splinter Cell, snuck up right in front of him and stood there. The kid suddenly woke up and jumped out of his seat from the sight of the prof. Lulz ensued.
Old 10-01-2009 at 01:47 PM   #27
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

So, I was friends with this girl last year ... not anymore for various reasons including this one. She kept talking to me in lecture, and I tried to keep my answers short so that she'd get the message I didn't want to talk. Finally, these two girls in front of us, turned around, and fully told us off. What pissed me off was, they were doing homework for another class, yet they had the audacity to tell me and my friend at the time to shut up.

They were all like, "Some of us actually come to university to learn, not like you people who probably barely made it in here." Yeahh, funny how they barely passed the class and I got a 10.
Old 10-01-2009 at 01:58 PM   #28
ice8

Liked: 33 Times

I fall asleep in class sometimes but most of the time its because I am tired, and the fact that some profs make the classes really boring. O and also, how in some lecture halls the rooms are really dark because the prof is using powerpoint (like MDCL 1305.

Childs was the best prof I have had so far!
Old 10-01-2009 at 03:19 PM   #29
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

I think someone mentioned this but in class there are a few girls... that have their laptops out and film themselves with webcams... like wth?
Old 10-01-2009 at 03:40 PM   #30
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5569077 8273

Source of Childs quotes. I need some first-years to donate some more; join and I might make you an officer!