MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will the first term courses be offered in second term too? nanaaoyama First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-04-2010 10:37 PM
First Year - Term 2 Courses revenant Academics 3 07-30-2010 10:16 PM
Second year Life Sciences- taking only 4 courses second term pink_cupcake Academics 2 07-13-2010 10:48 PM
Term 3 Courses MrSmith Academics 8 06-16-2009 12:12 AM
Term 3 Courses - How is your GPA determined? jwei First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 04-20-2009 07:37 AM

Why do first year enginners have to take 6 courses/term?

Old 12-06-2008 at 08:15 PM   #31
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermelon View Post
Overall? What's that supposed to mean?

I think it is well known that Waterloo is the place to go for tech-related stuff, i.e. engineering, maths, etc., and just look at all the successful, famous companies they have spawned. You know that Maple software we use? Guess where it came from?

Anyways, I'm not trying to start a war here, I just thought this was common knowledge.
Mcmaster is better than Waterloo when comparing all faculties. But yes when it comes to technology
Waterloo = 30
Mcmaster = 79

And I forgot to reply to Iman's point.
Well I did know Mcmaster had the general bullshit for first year. But Mcmaster is the only university(Except RYERSON...LOL) to offer a game design program at undergraduate level.

And as for physics, it's my 2nd best subject in terms of average.
Not to boast or make others nervous but, I could give the exam right now and manage a 40%+ average out of the 50%.
Old 12-06-2008 at 08:22 PM   #32
wintermelon

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iman View Post
Quite an easy course, linguistics.

I learned from high school philosophy that if you want a high mark, you're in the WRONG COURSE! It requires a LOT of thinking, some things are just ridiculously dumb, and writing courses just are extremely difficult to get high marks in.

Good luck with your final, wintermelon. I hope you have a better elective next semester!
Haha, no such luck next semester either! =(

Humanities FTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj-maxx View Post
Mcmaster is better than Waterloo when comparing all faculties. But yes when it comes to technology
Waterloo = 30
Mcmaster = 79
What are those numbers?

e: Nevermind, I decided I don't care. =) Good luck with your exams though.

Quote:
Not to boast or make others nervous but, I could give the exam right now and manage a 40%+ average out of the 50%.
Wait, how is that a good thing?

Last edited by wintermelon : 12-06-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-06-2008 at 08:26 PM   #33
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

I have no electives, Yesterday and the day before it were enough to finish physics.
I <3 Physics...
And well those numbers are from
http://www.topuniversities.c om/wor...ngs/technology
Old 12-06-2008 at 08:34 PM   #34
wintermelon

Interesting link.

Anyways, no matter what university you attend, we can all be glad we're not at Quendelton.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1812947
Old 12-06-2008 at 08:41 PM   #35
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Interesting link.

Anyways, no matter what university you attend, we can all be glad we're not at Quendelton.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1812947
Some of Quendelton State reminds me of Mcmaster.
But the best university to have ever existed or will ever exist will be
SHIT - South Harmon Institute of Technology.

P.S. This is my last Troll post.
Old 12-07-2008 at 10:31 AM   #36
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
I'm not comparing the engineering faculty to all the other ones though. I'm comparing ours to every other schools, and every other school seems to not give their engineers pointless electives to take.
Waterloo makes their Software Engineer's take Chemistry - a harder form of Chemistry than the one we take in first year. I can't think of anything possibly more useless for a software engineer than that.
Old 12-07-2008 at 10:46 AM   #37
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

And to whoever was complaining about physics (among other things) and said they wanted to go into game design... you fail. Game design is all about replicating physics as best as possible to make the game seem as realistic as possible.

From what I've heard, game design is actually quite difficult when you get into the technical side of things. The controls for online gaming and the networking involved is some of the most intense problem solving and programming anyone in the engineering faculty could ever experience. So much so that I've heard of many people going insane from it, actually.
Old 12-07-2008 at 02:42 PM   #38
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

To add to this heated conversation:
I was someone who was like CIVIL! and then i didnt get in. i got into materials. I LOVE IT! Also, that spread of first year courses helped me be well rounded i think , and find out what im really good at that i might not have otherwise known (programming! )

Hi Iman!

I agree that some electives are quite easy, for example, i'm taking a minor in theatre and film studies, and to do well you just have to read the plays and understand the related concepts essentially. There are more complicated electives that can be taken of course, political sciences and languages and such, its up to the person to decide what they like most!

Yay electives... (Yay engineering and society!!)
Old 12-07-2008 at 04:33 PM   #39
WekSos

Liked: 24 Times

I like turtles.
Old 12-07-2008 at 04:59 PM   #40
wintermelon

OBEY THE TECHNOVIKING
Old 12-07-2008 at 05:08 PM   #41
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
There are more complicated electives that can be taken of course, political sciences and languages...
Pssshh, ya okay
Old 12-07-2008 at 05:31 PM   #42
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
And to whoever was complaining about physics (among other things) and said they wanted to go into game design... you fail. Game design is all about replicating physics as best as possible to make the game seem as realistic as possible.

From what I've heard, game design is actually quite difficult when you get into the technical side of things. The controls for online gaming and the networking involved is some of the most intense problem solving and programming anyone in the engineering faculty could ever experience. So much so that I've heard of many people going insane from it, actually.
If you would've read that post correctly, you would've seen me saying in the very beginning of it

'Let's assume Software.'

I was just assuming a case where a student wants to go to Software Engineering. While saying physics/chem/engineering design-graphics/materials are useless I did not say the student wanted to go in Game Design. And well as for the way I am going right now, I don't think I'd fail. I'd own 2nd or 3rd year Software Engineering with Game Design even if I were to do it next sem.
Old 12-07-2008 at 05:39 PM   #43
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Pssshh, ya okay

What if you don't know the language?
Hard!

Old 12-07-2008 at 06:16 PM   #44
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
What if you don't know the language?
Hard!

Well, this thing I said before. :p
Old 12-07-2008 at 06:19 PM   #45
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj-maxx View Post
If you would've read that post correctly, you would've seen me saying in the very beginning of it

'Let's assume Software.'

I was just assuming a case where a student wants to go to Software Engineering. While saying physics/chem/engineering design-graphics/materials are useless I did not say the student wanted to go in Game Design. And well as for the way I am going right now, I don't think I'd fail. I'd own 2nd or 3rd year Software Engineering with Game Design even if I were to do it next sem.
Yes, but you said later on that you were. I didn't mean fail as in you were going to fail, I meant your opinion was fail.

And don't be so sure that you would own Software if you were to take it next semester. I'm sure a lot of those math courses wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.