MacInsiders Logo
View Poll Results: charges due to roaming
possible 3 37.50%
not possible 3 37.50%
IDK 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When will res charges come off my account? jrol First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-06-2013 08:24 PM
Interest Charges Brandon.Brad Financial Aid 1 01-29-2012 11:06 PM
Res Charges MacDai Matthews Hall Forum 13 07-12-2011 11:12 AM
RES damage charges? paperplanes Residence & Housing 10 05-06-2010 08:02 PM
extra charges? moskal89 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 11-08-2008 11:43 PM

WIND Roaming Charges on Campus

Old 11-15-2014 at 01:19 PM   #1
Farhaan

Liked: Liked 8 Times

WIND Roaming Charges on Campus
I bought a phone on WIND a month ago and my first bill is ~$20 higher than I thought it would be. I read on previous threads that cell reception in certain buildings (ex. MDCL, ITB) is spotty. I've noticed that when I'm on certain parts of campus (especially MDCL) I get the "roaming" logo on my phone. I have data roaming turned off by default, but I think that sometimes I might not notice it and check my messages / make a call. Is it possible that the higher bill is due to the roaming in any way?
Old 11-15-2014 at 02:50 PM   #2
chrisA

Liked: 15 Times

Doesn't the bill show details of the extra charges?

You can see all of your usage details on the website:

https://myaccount.windmobile. ca/selfcare/#/usage

In short, yes, it's possible that the higher bill resulted from roaming charges.
Old 11-15-2014 at 03:25 PM   #3
Mann

Liked: 0 Times

firstly you can check exactly where the cost came from online. I used to be with wind for 2 years, and never had roaming charges. Have roaming turned off on your phone and on their website as well, after you log in to your account.
Old 11-15-2014 at 03:30 PM   #4
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

WIND phones don't get any reception in some places on campus, as a result phones switches to Wind Away network, thus the roaming fees. Wind Away is using older GSM standard, and you can get it everywhere.

If you are using Android, you should change in your settings that it doesn't use GSM networks. That's what I did.
Old 11-15-2014 at 03:46 PM   #5
Farhaan

Liked: Liked 8 Times

Thanks! I figured it out. I have a joined account and the account that isn't mine was adding up the extra cost. I thought that maybe there were some hidden fees or something. I'm new to WIND.

Last edited by Farhaan : 11-15-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2015 at 12:54 PM   #6
AndreiTich

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Im with wind as well and a good way to make a call in building with no signal is download the google hangouts dialer. Its basically VOIP by google and is free and works really well. Just connect to the Mac internet and you're good to go!