MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PCAT prep courses worth it? sbajaj28 Academics 1 02-27-2014 08:05 AM
Redoing Course Sweet Coffee Academics 6 05-04-2013 11:43 PM
Redoing a Course (Hypothetical Scenario) dr4357 Academics 6 05-01-2013 04:34 PM
Course Worth? keiser=) Academics 8 01-16-2013 07:59 AM
Is it worth it to even try? Zimonada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-15-2010 03:36 PM

Is it worth redoing few courses?

Old 04-02-2015 at 05:25 PM   #1
MegamanZero

Liked: 2 Times

Is it worth redoing few courses?
I did really bad on some first year courses that are prereqs for pharmacy/med school. Specifically, in bio 1m03, math 1ls3, and chem 1a03. Is it worth redoing these in the summers or throughout second year?I feel as if doing them in second year will slow me down too much, but if I do them in summers will they still average out my mark for each course?
Old 04-02-2015 at 05:41 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Regardless of when you take them, McMaster will average out your mark, but you should look at the schools and programs you want to apply to to see how they'll consider it.
Old 04-02-2015 at 07:43 PM   #3
Matt S

Liked: 0 Times

From personal experience, I did poorly in some first year prereq courses as well and initially I thought it was the end of my pharmacy dream. But this couldn't be further from the truth. I actually emailed the U of T pharmacy admissions a few weeks ago and asked about if they even look at your grade in each of the prereq courses and they told me flat out that they don't. They don't even look at a collective prereq average, they simply look at your cumulative average of all courses you've taken in university. Of course this might be different from school to school though so look more into that before making your decision. Good luck!

MegamanZero says thanks to Matt S for this post.
Old 04-04-2015 at 07:53 PM   #4
MegamanZero

Thank you! That is the university I plan to go to as well so this is quite relieving.
Old 04-25-2015 at 06:27 PM   #5
Pendragon

I have a few friends in U of T's pharmacy program and from what I know, most students come in with a GPA above 3.8/ 4.0 (11/12 on Mac's scale). Both U of T and Waterloo pharmacy looks at your cumulative GPA. So, if you screwed up in a few courses, your GPA will not even be close to a 3.8. A few low marks has a drastic effect on your cumulative GPA, no matter how many high grades you get to make up for the blunder.
Old 05-08-2015 at 06:20 PM   #6
natpro

Liked: 0 Times

I have a question, what if you are heading into second year but there is a possibility that your average may be less than a 3.5, if I upgrade one of my low marks this summer, will that count towards my cumulative average??
Old 05-08-2015 at 08:20 PM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by natpro View Post
I have a question, what if you are heading into second year but there is a possibility that your average may be less than a 3.5, if I upgrade one of my low marks this summer, will that count towards my cumulative average??
As outlined in the course calendar, your cumulative average consists of all courses taken at McMaster. Repeated courses (whether you failed the first time or not) will have the grades from each attempt averaged out.