MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Science Admission worries Scotchtape Academics 16 05-14-2011 10:37 PM
Some questions...and concerns Silver First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 54 02-22-2011 04:17 PM
What are your biggest concerns/worries for this new school year? b_sunshine55 General Discussion 132 09-06-2009 01:39 AM
Residence Concerns (2009) lorend Residence & Housing 368 09-03-2009 09:59 AM
Concerns about res? lorend Residence & Housing 135 06-29-2009 11:57 AM

What Are Your Worries Or Concerns First Years!

Old 05-23-2011 at 10:45 AM   #1
SirPhil

Liked: 19 Times

What Are Your Worries Or Concerns First Years!
INCOMING FIRST YEARS What are your biggest concerns/worries for first year? About school life, academics, residence, tests, anything. Let us know!
Old 05-23-2011 at 10:50 AM   #2
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Hakuna matata - it means no worries

Old 05-23-2011 at 02:15 PM   #3
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Getting low marks of course!
Old 05-23-2011 at 02:33 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

dont be scared of ur profs, go ask em for help. they wont eat u

adomanico18, Ish001 like this.
Old 05-23-2011 at 02:46 PM   #5
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkolb31 View Post
Try not to worry about that too much! If you do the work that you are required to, actually attended all lectures/tutorials/labs (that you are able to go to of course), do the assigned readings and what not, and, last but not least, study.. you will be fine.

shes-a-diva* likes this.
Old 05-23-2011 at 02:54 PM   #6
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkolb31 View Post
Aha, Life Sciences, I see! Welcome!

As someone said up there, if you stay on top of your work, you should be good. BUT DO NOT SLACK OFF. Complete your assignments on time, study for midterms more than two days before they take place, and if you don't know anything, ASK THE PROFESSOR! They are available during their office hours, and it's not true that they don't care about their students (as I was told during my final high school year).

Good luck!

J. Dorey, shes-a-diva* like this.
Old 05-23-2011 at 03:18 PM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faer View Post
Aha, Life Sciences, I see! Welcome!

As someone said up there, if you stay on top of your work, you should be good. BUT DO NOT SLACK OFF. Complete your assignments on time, study for midterms more than two days before they take place, and if you don't know anything, ASK THE PROFESSOR! They are available during their office hours, and it's not true that they don't care about their students (as I was told during my final high school year).

Good luck!
I've always had the impression that life science is one of those programs that is constantly trying to cut numbers :/.

For any future engineering students out there, if you just do your work (like all the assigned crap including suggested problems) it's not difficult to maintain a 9+ average. Being over the top isn't as highly regarded and just getting it done and understanding it.
Old 05-23-2011 at 03:37 PM   #8
Buddastotle

Liked: 5 Times

scared of getting low marks ( i work hard) but i have heard some horror stories mann :(
Old 05-23-2011 at 03:39 PM   #9
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddastotle View Post
scared of getting low marks ( i work hard) but i have heard some horror stories mann :(
If you continue to work hard you should be alright. But you actually have to work hard, I know countless numbers of student who say they are going to work super hard but then end up wasting their time or partying. But as long as you have your priorities straight you'll be alright. Also don't forget about the TONS of help you can get from help centers, professors, TAs, and even classmates.

shes-a-diva* likes this.
Old 05-23-2011 at 03:40 PM   #10
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Everyone's different, so basically all those horror stories become hard to apply to you. How I ended up not worrying about this kind of stuff was just being open-minded to the whole new university experience. I went to class, kept up with the material and just overall had a good time learning.

Though I will say this... when the excitement ended, everything in second semester became tedious but you will have already have had a good grip on what you need to do to get good marks.
Old 05-23-2011 at 03:45 PM   #11
Buddastotle

Liked: 5 Times

is there bell curving at mac?
Old 05-23-2011 at 03:53 PM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
is there bell curving at mac?
Bell curving doesn't exist in any universities in Canada (at least to my knowledge). Bell curving doesn't even make sense in my opinion.

Some professors do however try to raise the class average if it's too low by either making the test out of less marks (lowering the denominator while keeping the numerator) or by writing an easier second midterm or exam. They also try to lower the class average if it's too high by making a harder second test or exam (but they can't change the test that has already been written).

Buddastotle says thanks to jhan523 for this post.

shes-a-diva* likes this.
Old 05-23-2011 at 03:54 PM   #13
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Odds are your first marks won't be what you're used to (for instance, I graduated HS with a 94.6 average, but my first essay I got back was a C-). However, in most of my classes, the first marks were generally worth less than the later assignments, and were meant to be used as a guide to help you get through the rest of the assignments. For example, my first mark in my history class was a C-. By the third essay, I had improved my overall mark to an A- by listening to their tips and going to talk to them about the work. So, in short, don't expect way too much out of yourself because you will be trying way too hard. Also, if a mark comes back that's lower than you're used to, don't worry about it. There is always time to improve.

Buddastotle says thanks to J. Dorey for this post.

Old 05-23-2011 at 04:13 PM   #14
musicislife

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Bell curving doesn't exist in any universities in Canada (at least to my knowledge). Bell curving doesn't even make sense in my opinion.

Some professors do however try to raise the class average if it's too low by either making the test out of less marks (lowering the denominator while keeping the numerator) or by writing an easier second midterm or exam. They also try to lower the class average if it's too high by making a harder second test or exam (but they can't change the test that has already been written).
Bellcurves exist in a couple of universities, I think. I know for sure about UofT, and I think OttawaU as well.
Old 05-23-2011 at 07:13 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
Bellcurves exist in a couple of universities, I think. I know for sure about UofT, and I think OttawaU as well.
Really in UofT? I don't think my brother ever got bell curved, he always got his marks back. Usually when you bellcurve you don't give back the marks because they don't mean anything, it's how you perform according to your classmates.

The problems I see with the bell curve is that it doesn't show how much information a student has learned, rewards the smartest in the class and penalizes the less intelligent. No to mention that if everyone is doing well, some of them will have their grades lowered, which completely sucks.