MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
full time or part time? deedeexo General Discussion 5 05-04-2012 05:58 PM
Going from full-time to part-time student? Timeless Financial Aid 1 02-22-2012 10:30 PM
Switching from Full Time to Part Time Chris094 Academics 2 01-19-2011 09:22 PM
am i full time or part time????? macculkin General Discussion 9 09-14-2009 10:09 PM
HSR bus pass -full time /part time student macculkin General Discussion 9 04-20-2009 06:45 PM

80% Course Load + Part Time Job

Old 08-23-2012 at 07:44 PM   #1
Gupta

Liked: 1 Time

80% Course Load + Part Time Job
I recently got a job in Burlington and will be entering my 3rd year in Honors Economics minor in Accounting this fall. According to my manager I will be working from anywhere between 10-15 hours a week. I have 4 courses first term and 4 courses second term (80% course load). It takes about 1 hour each way to work.

What are your opinion's about working during university? Do you think I can handle it? Any other advice will be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-23-2012 at 08:02 PM   #2
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

10-15 hours is doable but 1 hour each way is a lot... you're probably going to end up spending 6 hours a week commuting. Is this a really good job or can you get a similar job in Hamilton?
Old 08-23-2012 at 08:05 PM   #3
Gupta

Quote:
Originally Posted by apples12 View Post
10-15 hours is doable but 1 hour each way is a lot... you're probably going to end up spending 6 hours a week commuting. Is this a really good job or can you get a similar job in Hamilton?
Yeah, I can probably get a similar job in Hamilton. I just started too, don't know if I can talk to them about transferring to another location already...
Old 08-23-2012 at 08:08 PM   #4
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

Just start job-hunting in Hamilton and continue that job for now. When you find a job closer to Mac, leave that job

Or, if your employer is nice, talk about your situation... they might even understand and let you work at a closer location. Nothing to lose by asking.

Gupta says thanks to apples12 for this post.
Old 08-23-2012 at 08:10 PM   #5
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

I did 6 courses while working 14 hours per week second semester of last year. My job was on-campus and I was scheduled in between my classes, so that made it easier, however I was also taking 6 courses. I think you'll be fine.

Gupta likes this.
Old 08-23-2012 at 08:17 PM   #6
Gupta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew A View Post
I did 6 courses while working 14 hours per week second semester of last year. My job was on-campus and I was scheduled in between my classes, so that made it easier, however I was also taking 6 courses. I think you'll be fine.
How did you go about working if you had a midterm(s) one week? Did you just tell your employer that you weren't able to make it? I know for exam time I will definitely ask for some time off.
Old 08-23-2012 at 08:23 PM   #7
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

My employer was (and will be again this year) the MSU, so they're pretty understanding when it comes to exams and midterms. The office is only open 9-5 Monday to Friday anyway, so the only tests I would have during that period were in-class anyway. But if I needed extra time off to study around the exam period, it would have been fine. The scheduling was quite flexible really, in fact I actually made my own schedule to fit with my classes. So long as it added up to 14 hours per week, and all the hours were while the office was open of course, then that was good enough.
Old 08-23-2012 at 08:39 PM   #8
Gupta

Oh okay. I am officially starting next week, I guess I'll have to talk to them about this. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2012 at 08:55 PM   #9
anna.rzez

last year( first year) i worked around 12 hours a week, had 100 per cent courseload, and had an hour and a half commute from Hamilton(one way).

I managed fine, and i still had some time for friends..not a whole lot, but some.
Old 08-23-2012 at 09:14 PM   #10
Gupta

It's not too much social time i'm worried about, it's the time to study for midterms and final exams. also i am looking into grad school which will look to my last two years for admission..
Old 08-23-2012 at 09:31 PM   #11
polinapel

Liked: 0 Times

If you have to ask us, maybe you already know the answer.
I would get a job in Hamilton.
Old 08-23-2012 at 11:06 PM   #12
campbekn

Liked: 2 Times

I work 20 hours a week on a 100% of a full course load, with about 45 minutes commute. You should be fine
Old 08-23-2012 at 11:32 PM   #13
darkstar

Liked: 47 Times

I work 40-48 hours a week and my job is an hour drive each way and usually take 4 or 3 classes a term depending on scheduling. You can do work and school and still do well but your social life will be non existant and don't plan on sleeping much.

I have been with my employer for a while so i have a little flexibility and I save myvacation time to take days off when I have exams or a major paper but taking time off early in your employment will not be taken lightly and will more than likely cost you your job. Depending on the job your 10-15 hours may also turn into much more at certain times of the year. Talk to the manager and/or any other students in the same situation that may be working there. If there is no flexability you might want to look elsewhere unless it may lead to something in the future.
Old 08-24-2012 at 12:22 AM   #14
Con19

Liked: 4 Times

The commute is what will kill you. I live in Hamilton, work anywhere from 10-15 hours and have a full course load
Old 08-24-2012 at 02:21 AM   #15
randhirmiz

Liked: 12 Times

I'm taking 100% course load and working on the weekends.. but my job gives me long hours (about 6-7)
..but honestly, I don't know if I'm going to be able to pull it off..
What's the point in working so we can pay off our tuition if in the end we're just going to end up with a terrible gpa because we couldn't manage our time well enough?..

Anyway, I guess we'll just try it out and see .. if anything, you can always change your availability..
and remember, you do need to get a little bit of rest and sleep every once in a while, too..

..but good luck!