MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Classes Juve First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 09-08-2010 07:19 PM
First day of classes...what do you do in between classes? like 1hour breaks? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 08-22-2010 08:12 PM
First Aid Classes VoyozooT General Discussion 2 07-31-2009 11:20 PM
First Day of Classes Holly Academics 6 08-27-2008 10:23 PM
What do you do in between classes? MacEng General Discussion 12 08-27-2008 10:23 PM

Actually going to classes..

Old 08-11-2008 at 10:20 PM   #1
Leraison

Liked: 0 Times

Actually going to classes..
Hey guys,

If you have one prof on your schedule and you realize your more receptive to another's teaching style, does it matter if you skip that class and go to the other one? Are all the assignments and stuff the same? I know that some classes take attendances (but the smaller ones). Do labs and tutorials take attendance too?

Not that I plan on skipping, of course
Old 08-11-2008 at 10:24 PM   #2
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

It matters if each prof has different tests/assignments. Other than that, go wild, do it lol. I know I have, but only becuase the assignments/tests were the same (Calc).

Old 08-11-2008 at 10:26 PM   #3
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

haha. yes the idea of chossing another prof cause they are "better". For alot of your first year classes, i'm sure you can do that cause there ae so many profs teaching hte different sections. Genreally, it doesn't matter for classes like the big ones bio1a03/1aa3, chem1a03/1aa3, physics1b03 , math1a03, etc. The questions on the test will be the same for everyone (created by all the profs and looked at by all of them so it is fair). Big lectures, no attendence is taken. but keep in mind that some lecture halls there is a maximum capacity. so its generally better to not skip your class and go to another 1) might not get spots to sit and end up sitting on the floor/stairs then prof gets angry cause it is violating the fire code. (i've had a prof say they won't teach until everyone is seated in a proper seat)
the assignments/tests are all the same b/c seriously.. 1) it wouldnt' be fair right? 2) who wants to make up so many different questions when the profs can just make one set of questions.

but generally.. yeah you can go to another prof if you like their teaching style more.

labs you have to go to your own. you have your own TA which will take attendence cause you get marked on your participation/performance. Tutorials, it depends on the style of it. if its drop in, then it doesn't matter. but if its a tutorial where you are marked on, or get bonus marks sometimes, then you have to stick to your own tutorial.
Old 08-11-2008 at 10:30 PM   #4
Leraison

Awesome!
Old 08-11-2008 at 10:33 PM   #5
Eva C
Elite Member

oh btw, also when you fill out tests and assignment stuff.when you have to write what section you are in and stuff. make sure you write the sectoin you are really "registered" in
Old 08-11-2008 at 10:35 PM   #6
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Eva summed it up quite nicely, but also keep in mind that some classes like physics 1B03 have (iclicker) quizzes in class. If you do the quiz in another section, the results probably won't register and you'll lose marks in the end (these are usually worth like 5% of your final mark, which is eseentially a full grade point).

Old 08-11-2008 at 10:37 PM   #7
hello395

Does anyone know how labs (for chem and bio) are in university? I'm going into first year, and I was wondering if you have to do the experiments individually or with a partner. What happens if you get stuck or are confused with something? For some reason, I'm really nervous about what labs will be like. I mean, will the TA's just stand there and watch you to see if you're doing everything right or not? Will you lose marks if you make a mistake in an experiement (like if you mix substance A with B, instead of A with C (i.e. small mistakes))?
Old 08-11-2008 at 10:38 PM   #8
Eva C
Elite Member

oh right clickers. haha. i totally forgot about those. i have blocked that class out of my head
just make sure you aren't being MARKED ON the class you are going to miss! very important
Old 08-11-2008 at 10:38 PM   #9
Leraison

Do they let you know about these ahead of time?
What happens if you were sick or smthing...
Old 08-11-2008 at 10:38 PM   #10
zoyy

haha i have definetly attended another prof's section...if I didn't I probably wouldn't have done so well . Technically, *I think* you're only supposed to attend your own section but no one really checks...soo yah you can do whatever you want basically. One of my profs last yr was really good that soo many random ppl came to his section that there were practically no more seats available lol.

Totally random but your hamster pic is super cute!
Old 08-11-2008 at 10:48 PM   #11
Eva C
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine View Post
Does anyone know how labs (for chem and bio) are in university? I'm going into first year, and I was wondering if you have to do the experiments individually or with a partner. What happens if you get stuck or are confused with something? For some reason, I'm really nervous about what labs will be like. I mean, will the TA's just stand there and watch you to see if you're doing everything right or not? Will you lose marks if you make a mistake in an experiement (like if you mix substance A with B, instead of A with C (i.e. small mistakes))?
oo a lab question! i wondered that myself when i went to uni too!

basically, a week before your lab day, they wlil post your lab online on webct/learnlink (system to download all your course outlines/lecturenotes/labs). Basically, it will usually have an introduction on the lab you will be doing , then a prelab assignment, step-by-step instruction of the lab and then some general stuff on material used, etc.

-Read it all yourself once
-do the prelab - basically just a few general questions to make sure you understand the lab/concepts and you get marked for those
-Go to your lab making usre you understand what you're doing and bring your labcoat/goggles
- when you go to your lab, yourTA will go through the lab with you again briefly to give you any hints to finish faster, what to watch out for and common mistakes or changes in the lab
- depending on your lab, you can be on your own or with a partner. generally, first year labs are usualyl in partners from what i can recall...
- dont' be scared b/c you can always go ask your neighbours for help and stuff along the way. Your TA is there to help you aside from marking you. Depend son your TA, i've had SUPER nice ones that would help me so much i feel like she is doing my lab for me or ones where they really dont' care and just dont' want to be there. lol. so it depends. generally they are there to answer questions you have. If its somethign simple, go ask your neighbours, if they don't have the answer, go ask your TA. the TAs will generally just stand there walk around and help people with any questions they have.

mistakes.. generally if its a small mistake, you can correct it quickly and no one can even notice that you did it ( you can kinda see that i make alot of mistakes ) if you mixed something wrong. then go and get more of hte material to do it again (if there is plenty of material to use that is) if your material or time is limited, then you should go tell your TA. They will access the sitution. prb just tell you to go borrow someone's result and write it as your own and just comment that you used other ppl's results. you won't really lose marks and if you do not alot.

the labs are generally.. boring i would ssay some of them are.. the bio ones are tedious.. i think i'll leave it at that. : P

i'm thinkig i should write an article on this.. haha. maybe i will

Arif, BlakeM all say thanks to Eva C for this post.
Old 08-11-2008 at 10:48 PM   #12
zoyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine View Post
I've only done chem labs and most of your labs will be done by yourself, but I think 1/2 is partners. For CHEM 1e03/1a03/1aa3 there were 5 labs in total for one term. Don't be nervous! In my experience, lab TA's are really nice and are there to help. Be prepared tho, by reading the procedure and doing the prelab b/c you have a limited time to finish evrything (3hrs). hehe and the TA will stand there making sure everything you do is correct to prevent accidents but they won't be 'evily' staring you down and breathing down your neck...they're there to help you if you have any doubts or questions. IF you do make a mistakee, there will be some deduction not a whole lot as long as you explain what u did and what the expected results are supposed to be. Be careful tho cuz small mistake mixing a with b could lead to a dangerous reaction ...but typically 1st yr labs don't deal with very dangerous chemicals (fairly dilute).

Arif all say thanks to zoyy for this post.
Old 08-11-2008 at 10:51 PM   #13
zoyy

hehe Eva good response....i type way too slow so you beat me to it...you should write an article! very good idea
Old 08-11-2008 at 10:55 PM   #14
Leraison

Aw man labs sound tedious. Do you get tested on the concepts you learned in labs and do you have to write up lab reports that get marked?

http://icanhascheezburger.fi les.wo...07ef12f4. jpg
--> hamster picture

Talon89 says thanks to Leraison for this post.
Old 08-11-2008 at 11:01 PM   #15
zoyy

I cant really vouch for bio labs... but chem labs were fair not too difficult. During tests, they ask questions about the labs you did, and the concepts surrounding them. Most of the lab reports are handed in right after the lab...you write your observations and answer questions in this lab notebook. There were some that were take home and then due the following week...and yes they do get marked and are usually worth 10 or 15% (cant remember) of your final mark.