Rant. lawleypop General Discussion 28 10-20-2009 05:45 PM

Alphabetized Call of Duty Rant

Old 11-07-2010 at 06:01 PM   #1
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

Alphabetized Call of Duty Rant
What's going on here?

I just installed, played and beat Call of Duty 4 (modern warfare) and 5 (modern warfare 5) in about 7 hours combined (single player). They were almost literally like THE EXACT SAME GAME. From what I hear this is how it has been since the first or second game, just a constant re-skinning of essentially the same macho 'oorah' gung ho 20's facial hair jizz-fest that the ones I played were.

On top of that, WHATS GOING ON WITH THE GAMEPLAY?

a) Why do enemies constantly respawn if you aren't moving forward like you're ****ing rambo? Sorry if I like to play a little more strategically (this makes sniping completely redundant, like, why not just give everyone an M60 and say 'have at it' from the beginning).

b) Why do enemies just spam relentlessly at walls near you and respawn in the exact same spot when they are killed?

c) Why can't I jump on half a foot tall objects 99.9% of the time, unless it's part of a script? (i.e. fences, boxes). Half Life 2 came out in 2004 and the source engine is 100x better than this garbage.

d) Why can't I break windows? Seriously. It's a window. I have a gun/knife.

e) Why are wild/rabid/attack dogs actually more dangerous than the enemies you encounter regularly?

f) Why is the recoil the same on every single gun?

g) Why do some guns take so long to re-load that you could actually knife an enemy and pick theirs up in the time it took you to reload your own?

h) Why doesn't my team move forward unless I walk to a specific 'checkpoint' part of the map? Which is almost always in the line of fire of the guys that I just killed who obviously re-spawned the moment I got to the checkpoint.

i) Why are there so many helicopter 'pick-up' scenes where at the end I cling onto the ramp/rope for dear life and some captain or corporal with ridiculous facial hair pulls me up?

j) Why is my team invincible? On top of that, why am I more likely to die due to randomized events like a car blowing up while I'm taking cover behind it or 5 grenades being thrown at me at the same time rather than by gunfire?

k) Why does getting shot in this game make your screen SPAZ OUT and FILL WITH BLOOD. IF I WANTED REALISM I'D JOIN THE MARINES.

l) Why is your screen plastered with prophetic war quotes when you die?

m) Why are the stealth sequences - which are, by the way, the only good sequences in the entirety of these games - so short and always made to end in the most annoying (re: wait for helicopter to pick you up while you are flooded with a billion angry ruskies) way?

n) Why will my team shoot endlessly at a guy in a barricaded window but not shoot at a guy who is KNIFING ME FROM BEHIND IN THE KIDNEYS?

o) No. I don't want to sit in a helicopter attack sequence with thermal imaging spamming 25mm bullets at guys I have trouble differentiating from my own.

p) Why FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, am I being shot at by enemies I CANT SEE UNTIL THEY'VE KILLED ME AND WIPED MY INTESTINES ON THEIR FACE

I could go on but I fear I'd get to z... personally won't be buying black ops.

Last edited by Kendoon : 11-07-2010 at 06:17 PM.

AdelaisAer says thanks to Kendoon for this post.

AdelaisAer, PhilM like this.
Old 11-07-2010 at 06:04 PM   #2
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Answer to all your questions: Blame Activision

Eternal Fire likes this.
Old 11-07-2010 at 06:05 PM   #3
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegs14 View Post
<3

hearts for you

Old 11-07-2010 at 06:07 PM   #4
doug

Liked: 82 Times

Quote:
Don't forget about Treyarch.

Oh, the Abominations they have created.
Old 11-07-2010 at 06:08 PM   #5
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post

Just the fact it took me 5 minutes to come up with this list is a testament to just how mind numbingly bad their games are..

Old 11-07-2010 at 06:08 PM   #6
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post

a) Why do enemies constantly respawn if you aren't moving forward like you're ****ing rambo? Sorry if I like to play a little more strategically (this makes sniping completely redundant, like, why not just give everyone an M60 and say 'have at it' from the beginning).
Actually, in MW 2, they stopped constantly spawning enemies - which made beating the game on higher difficulities much easier - no longer did you have to beat the game by running to cover and hoping for a checkpoint.
But all previous COD games had infinete amount of spawning bad guys.
Old 11-07-2010 at 06:09 PM   #7
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Actually, in MW 2, they stopped constantly spawning enemies - which made beating the game on higher difficulities much easier - no longer did you have to beat the game by running to cover and hoping for a checkpoint.
But all previous COD games had infinete amount of spawning bad guys.
Yeah that point specifically referred to CoD4 but the rest are pretty much consistent with both(and all)

Old 11-07-2010 at 06:11 PM   #8
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Furthermore, I played on the second hardest (above regular and below veteran) on MW and the hardest on MW2, and I died like a BILLION times but only for the following reasons:

1. Saying **** it and running into the line of fire just in hope of hitting a checkpoint
2. Dogs, WTF?
3. Cars that haven't been shot exploding randomly.
4. Grenades in tight quarters where my invincible teammates would block off the door exit and in my scramble to throw it back I had my face elegantly blown right off.

Old 11-07-2010 at 06:16 PM   #9
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post

If you look at it, it is all Activisions fault. Before if was just IW making COD games, and they were great. Then Activision bought IW and the Call of Duty IP. They realized after COD 2 how much money they could make off COD, so they had Treyarch come in to develop every other COD game (COD3, World at War) while IW did (COD MW and MW 2).
Then Activision and Kotick ruined IW by firing and suing the creative leads and bosses of IW (both the same two people) and then all the other core talent from IW left, leaving IW in shambles. Those who left IW are now pretty much working for EA at Respawn Enterntainment (get it?).
So, essentially, blame Activision for all the faults with COD
Old 11-07-2010 at 06:20 PM   #10
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Quote:
Furthermore, I played on the second hardest (above regular and below veteran) on MW and the hardest on MW2, and I died like a BILLION times but only for the following reasons:

1. Saying **** it and running into the line of fire just in hope of hitting a checkpoint
2. Dogs, WTF?
3. Cars that haven't been shot exploding randomly.
4. Grenades in tight quarters where my invincible teammates would block off the door exit and in my scramble to throw it back I had my face elegantly blown right off.
I pretty much beat every COD game on veteran difficulty and as a result, I can say I HATE GRENADES!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
All they do on higher difficulties was spam grenades at you while you were in cover. This is of course more true with Treyarch games than IW games (I'm looking at you World at War!!)
Old 11-07-2010 at 06:21 PM   #11
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
I pretty much beat every COD game on veteran difficulty and as a result, I can say I HATE GRENADES!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
All they do on higher difficulties was spam grenades at you while you were in cover. This is of course more true with Treyarch games than IW games (I'm looking at you World at War!!)
Oh my god I tried World at War on veteran and about 15 minutes in if you were within the vicinity of my apartment you'd have heard "OH CHRIST, **** THIS ****ING BULLSHIT, ****S SAKE, CAN I MOVE LIKE 5 STEPS WITHOUT ALL OF EASTERN ASIA THROWING A GRENADE AT ME? ****."

Old 11-07-2010 at 06:34 PM   #12
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

I'm never going to get the hype for these games... but then again I don't get the love for CS either, I probably just don't like realistic shooters
Old 11-07-2010 at 06:43 PM   #13
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

I'm going to have to agree. Activision likes to make their games about 50% realistic, 50% dumb as ****.

In fact, most shooting games are like this: you're a dude, usually like a Private or some other b.s. rank because they can't be bothered integrating a team command function for the rest of your team into the game engine, and it's your job to save the whole ****ing world for some dumb ****ing reason. At the end of the game, you can sometimes check your stats like in Medal of Honor; and you have killed something like 1400 people and shot 20,000 bullets. What the ****? Who are you, Sylvester Stallone? What happened to the concept of a "war?" I realize that as a player, you have got to make some kind of a difference in order for the video game to be engaging and fun but seriously, what the ****? Medal of Honor Frontline is the first one that comes to mind... basically you go and destroy the entire Nazi army by yourself.

I also hate how the health system works in shooter games. Shit!! You got shot!! But it's okay, you have a certain amount of health before you die. There's also ****ing HEALTH PACKS along the way that... what, magically remove bullets and heal your wounds? Or worse, in Call of Duty, if you get shot, you just get out of the line of fire and suddenly you're okay. You can literally take 4 bullets, duck behind cover, wait 15 seconds and repeat until there's more lead in your body than an action figure from McDonald's but you are still completely functional.

...Yet, these games are so addicting. I love MW2.
Old 11-07-2010 at 09:22 PM   #14
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
What's going on here?

l) Why is your screen plastered with prophetic war quotes when you die?

hah I love those quotes. Even after a bajillion deaths.

Anyways, they fixed all that up in Black Ops =P
Old 11-07-2010 at 10:32 PM   #15
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnguishedEnd View Post
hah I love those quotes. Even after a bajillion deaths.

Anyways, they fixed all that up in Black Ops =P
Prove it. Offer me a gift of a youtube video proving that the gameplay isn't a mountain of ****ing stupid anymore.