MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are summer courses relatively easier than those taken in fall/winter? nikJ Academics 3 04-22-2013 12:50 PM
Can I get a MacWork position If I do not qualify for the Macwork program? aw07 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-24-2011 08:19 PM
Summer school credits towards changing fall/winter CA quiazorj Academics 11 05-31-2011 12:16 AM
applying to level II+summer courses luna Academics 6 02-26-2011 06:33 AM
MacWork / McMaster Summer Work Program Application Questions. Kurt_ General Discussion 4 03-02-2009 02:07 PM

applying for macwork this summer but not returning this fall

Old 03-13-2014 at 09:23 PM   #1
gongshow

Liked: 9 Times

applying for macwork this summer but not returning this fall
Hi,

I plan on doing MacWork this summer to satisfy my co-op requirement for the graduation, but I am not returning to school this Fall because I am not allowed to do my last semester in this Fall before finishing 12 month co-op. So I can come back in September 2015 to finish my last semester if I have done all my co-op. I have a placement lined up this fall but I don't have anything for summer yet. Would I be able to apply and get the macwork position this summer even If I won't be enrolled this Fall? (I have a plan on coming back 2015 Fall though)
Old 03-14-2014 at 12:36 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gongshow View Post
Hi,

I plan on doing MacWork this summer to satisfy my co-op requirement for the graduation, but I am not returning to school this Fall because I am not allowed to do my last semester in this Fall before finishing 12 month co-op. So I can come back in September 2015 to finish my last semester if I have done all my co-op. I have a placement lined up this fall but I don't have anything for summer yet. Would I be able to apply and get the macwork position this summer even If I won't be enrolled this Fall? (I have a plan on coming back 2015 Fall though)
Straight from the sfas website:
Quote:
To be considered for McWork you must:

Submit an online application through MUGSI
Been a McMaster Undergraduate degree, School of Medicine, Mohawk Nursing Consortium or Physicians Assistant student in the most recent fall/winter session (not a 'Continuing' student)
NOT be eligible to graduate at either the Spring or Fall Convocations of the current year
Be returning to McMaster in his/her program in the next fall session
Have applied for OSAP or other government-sponsored loan prams (i.e. StudentAid BC) during the academic year OR can adequately demonstrate financial need
It says "in the NEXT fall session", so if you're taking a year off, no.
However, for co-op programs you should still be registered as a full-time student, so you should double-check that. If that is the case, then you are still considered to be a student in your program during the co-op term and therefore would fulfill the criteria, though demonstrating financial need is generally harder for co-op students.

Having said that, you should double-check that the job you get this summer counts for co-op - the research positions do, but I doubt most of the other positions would count.