MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
asking prof to pass u? sana.banana Academics 11 12-16-2010 04:04 PM
Mac pass ? sayok8737 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-18-2010 01:54 PM
Bus Pass Opt-Out thirdyearboy General Discussion 60 10-21-2009 10:01 AM
Bus Pass Goce General Discussion 27 08-31-2009 06:03 PM
Mac Pass Ruggedman First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-31-2008 08:48 PM

Ask Prof for a pass.

Old 04-15-2011 at 03:01 PM   #16
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLia View Post
I agree that asking for a pass when it is truly undeserved is kind of cheating in a way...however, having been in first year math unlike the oblivious poster quoted above, and knowing what the course load can be like, I can understand how one's math mark may have slipped through the cracks.

I would try to find out when the math exam marks will be ready by and if you didn't pass, then start worrying about it. I remember they always bell curved math in my years because the averages were so incredibly low.
I've heard in recent years the profs have been meaner and the tests have been increasingly irrelevant to the material presented though, so they may be meaner when it comes to bell curving too.
As far as I know though, begging for a pass (unless you literally have 49) won't get you anywhere...

As for those who've never been in engineering, and can't understand why one's marks would be so low, please keep your rants to yourself and kindly shut up.

Not sure why youd say Im oblivious.. I have struggled to do well at times especially in math( not sure why you assume ive never taken a math course...) NO one just flies through all their courses with a breeze... but regardless if you are struggling (WHATEVER faculty/program you are in) waiting until the END of the semester to do somehting about it is not right! and to expect that if you just explain your hard time to a prof once the final is over, that they will change your mark is like I said before, ridiculous!

If course loads are too heavy - drop a class and take a summer course instead.
iF youre struggling all the way through make a point to see a TA/Prof throughtout the year.

DONT just say "oh well engineering is hard you dont understand" -- Yes its incredibly difficult and I know many people have a hard time in it ( my housemate was an engineer and ive heard it all).. BUT ASKING FOR A PASS STILL ISNT JUSTIFIABLE!!!--- its not a matter of not understanding HOW anyone could possibly be doing that bad.. its that theyve taken so long to do something about it.

Last edited by guest_295 : 04-15-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-15-2011 at 03:35 PM   #17
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakovski View Post
... BUT ASKING FOR A PASS STILL ISNT JUSTIFIABLE!!!--- its not a matter of not understanding HOW anyone could possibly be doing that bad.. its that theyve taken so long to do something about it.

Some courses are required to get into second year engineering (despite being completely irrelevant to one's stream), so yes, it can be justifiable.

AmyLia likes this.
Old 04-15-2011 at 03:40 PM   #18
AmyLia

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Not sure why youd say Im oblivious.. I have struggled to do well at times especially in math( not sure why you assume ive never taken a math course...) NO one just flies through all their courses with a breeze... but regardless if you are struggling (WHATEVER faculty/program you are in) waiting until the END of the semester to do somehting about it is not right! and to expect that if you just explain your hard time to a prof once the final is over, that they will change your mark is like I said before, ridiculous!

If course loads are too heavy - drop a class and take a summer course instead.
iF youre struggling all the way through make a point to see a TA/Prof throughtout the year.

DONT just say "oh well engineering is hard you dont understand" -- Yes its incredibly difficult and I know many people have a hard time in it ( my housemate was an engineer and ive heard it all).. BUT ASKING FOR A PASS STILL ISNT JUSTIFIABLE!!!--- its not a matter of not understanding HOW anyone could possibly be doing that bad.. its that theyve taken so long to do something about it.
Firstly, I never assumed you've never taken a math course. My assumption was that you've never had that large a course load.

Summer courses aren't always an option as most engineering courses aren't offered during the summer or in the cases of some students, even if they were offered, not everyone can be around to take them.

And you can't just sit there and assume that the OP didn't do shit until now.
The only reason why I even said anything to you was because you contributed nothing in terms of answering the question and instead sat there and insulted someone you know nothing about.
And with that, I'm ending this silly argument.
Old 04-15-2011 at 03:41 PM   #19
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Some courses are required to get into second year engineering (despite being completely irrelevant to one's stream), so yes, it can be justifiable.
Justifiable based on the fact that you need it?... "I need to pass so please bump my mark even though I didnt display that I understood the material well enough?" .... really now?...

Many programs have have courses that are required for getting into upper levels..

Like I said, maybe im too into following rules and sticking to the "proper' way of doing things (In my mind)... Im not looking to put anyone down for struggling or what have you, I just think that its not right to go asking a prof to pass you.

Anyway, in regards to the OP I hope you did way better than you think you did and dont need to ask the prof for this pass, because you earned it instead.
Old 04-15-2011 at 03:48 PM   #20
guest_295
Happy and Helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLia View Post
Firstly, I never assumed you've never taken a math course. My assumption was that you've never had that large a course load.

Summer courses aren't always an option as most engineering courses aren't offered during the summer or in the cases of some students, even if they were offered, not everyone can be around to take them.

And you can't just sit there and assume that the OP didn't do shit until now.
The only reason why I even said anything to you was because you contributed nothing in terms of answering the question and instead sat there and insulted someone you know nothing about.
And with that, I'm ending this silly argument.
Well you did assume i hadnt taken first year math as you said: [SIZE=2px]h"aving been in first year math unlike the oblivious poster quoted above"[/size]
I dont know if it came off as me attacking the OP or making assumptions about if theyve met with anyone ... but my original response was just my opinion on the topic. And I was offended you called me oblivious ..

But yes agreed to ending of this whole thing.
Old 04-15-2011 at 04:20 PM   #21
AmyLia

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Well you did assume i hadnt taken first year math as you said: [SIZE=2px]h"aving been in first year math unlike the oblivious poster quoted above"[/size]
I dont know if it came off as me attacking the OP or making assumptions about if theyve met with anyone ... but my original response was just my opinion on the topic. And I was offended you called me oblivious ..

But yes agreed to ending of this whole thing.

I was referring to this particular math course. I should've been more clear.
Old 04-15-2011 at 05:23 PM   #22
mOeeOm

Liked: 9 Times

People not in engineering must be riding some pretty tall horses

AmyLia likes this.
Old 04-15-2011 at 05:30 PM   #23
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times

In one of my classes last year the professor posted some silly emails from students asking to bump up there marks.

The funny thing is these are people who got 9,10,11.

Most of the excuses were: I'm going to Med School! I can't settle for anything less than 12!
....These people are straight up losers.

AmyLia likes this.