MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Westdale Cafe lorend Restaurants & Food Reviews 5 04-10-2011 02:38 PM
Westdale Robberies lorend MacInsiders Announcements 13 07-21-2010 05:03 PM
Flasher loose in Westdale .. again Kathy2 General Discussion 59 06-17-2010 08:57 PM
Apparent B.C. hate crime attack posted on YouTube davey General Discussion 36 07-10-2009 12:05 AM
Why Can't We Be Friends, Westdale? DannyV General Discussion 9 10-09-2008 01:30 PM

Attack in Westdale

Old 01-10-2010 at 09:44 PM   #31
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

If it came down to someone getting missing out on some of the potentially awesome parts of Hamilton vs getting hurt/robbed, I would prefer it not be my advice that swung them towards the latter.

By all means go ahead and check out the more interesting areas of Hamilton if you feel safe. But don't assume everyone is in the same boat as you. These crimes do happen to people, and some people would prefer to hang out in areas where they don't have to be on edge the whole time.
Old 01-10-2010 at 10:10 PM   #32
soltintal

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
If it came down to someone getting missing out on some of the potentially awesome parts of Hamilton vs getting hurt/robbed, I would prefer it not be my advice that swung them towards the latter.

By all means go ahead and check out the more interesting areas of Hamilton if you feel safe. But don't assume everyone is in the same boat as you. These crimes do happen to people, and some people would prefer to hang out in areas where they don't have to be on edge the whole time.

Know what? Forget trying to help any of you guys. I'll just take my 40 years of having grown up in and having lived all over different areas of Hamilton and shut up now. god forbid I send any of you to your doom. Have fun hiding behind the curtains and assuming you're somehow avoiding the "undesirables" by cocooning yourselves in the west end. FYI - you all live about a 10 minute walk away from a huge population of meth addicts if that makes you feel better. I would've been more than willing to share advice about what to do, how to act, areas that you really SHOULD avoid vs. places that are really great despite appearances, etc. but since I'm apparently working on assumptions and have no idea what I'm talking about... I'm done.
Old 01-10-2010 at 10:20 PM   #33
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

I'm more scared of Bro's on campus, mac-50 baconators, and hamilton cops. only one's i've had a problem with, never an actual hamilton person.

oh and watch out for the bro that drives a white lincoln, with "kuhn" or "kahn" or something as the license plate, threatened to kill me on campus with his brass knuckles or bat he apparently keeps in the back seat LOL.

soltintal don't worry, anyone worthwhile will check out the rad places. and the marlowes will stick to playing with their tampons in their dorm rooms.

Last edited by andrew22 : 01-10-2010 at 10:27 PM.

soltintal says thanks to andrew22 for this post.

Marlowe likes this.
Old 01-10-2010 at 10:21 PM   #34
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Whoa, overdramatic.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-10-2010 at 10:25 PM   #35
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
soltintal don't worry, anyone worthwhile will check out the rad places. and the marlowes will stick to playing with their tampons in their dorm rooms.
Yes, because a persons worth is determined by what "rad places" they go to in hamilton.
Old 01-10-2010 at 10:26 PM   #36
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
I'm from Orangeville, and my first year in Hamilton I did find it kind of scary, but after moving off of rez and downtown I'm not that bothered by it anymore, and as I said, I might feel a bit uncertain at night, but I feel that way anywhere if I'm by myself.
Pffft.

Orangeville is waaaay bigger than Caledon East.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-10-2010 at 10:27 PM   #37
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Yes, because a persons worth is determined by what "rad places" they go to in hamilton.
yee skylines. -internet highfive-

Old 01-10-2010 at 10:38 PM   #38
soltintal

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Whoa, overdramatic.

Whoa, naive.
Old 01-10-2010 at 10:45 PM   #39
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltintal View Post
Know what? Forget trying to help any of you guys. I'll just take my 40 years of having grown up in and having lived all over different areas of Hamilton and shut up now. god forbid I send any of you to your doom. Have fun hiding behind the curtains and assuming you're somehow avoiding the "undesirables" by cocooning yourselves in the west end. FYI - you all live about a 10 minute walk away from a huge population of meth addicts if that makes you feel better. I would've been more than willing to share advice about what to do, how to act, areas that you really SHOULD avoid vs. places that are really great despite appearances, etc. but since I'm apparently working on assumptions and have no idea what I'm talking about... I'm done.
Well that escalated quickly...

I'm not trying to be rude or offend you here, I'm just pointing out that some people have different levels of what they consider to be a bad area, and that I wouldn't advise people to go to a place where they might feel uncomfortable or have a higher chance of having something bad happen to them.

Its unlikely that anything will actually happen to them, especially if they're in a group, in daylight, etc. That doesn't mean I want to be the one who pushed them to go out and explore the community if it does happen. And that doesn't mean that they'll be comfortable in the area.

I get the whole wanting to be proud of you home town thing, but you also have to understand that most people attending Mac don't have your experience, and come from places that might be a lot different. Its a learning curve, and they'll start visiting those areas on their own when and if they feel comfortable with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
and the marlowes will stick to playing with their tampons in their dorm rooms.
While the rest of your post was well articulated and fully thought out, I should point out that I've been Off-Campus since first year, living in Hamilton.

Last edited by Marlowe : 01-10-2010 at 10:49 PM.

xo.monica likes this.
Old 01-10-2010 at 10:46 PM   #40
andrew22
Account Locked

soltintal, I think you just have to remeber that a lot of us (myself included) are from middleclass suburban areas. and we don't know anything about this kinda stuff :(

"Its a learning curve, and they'll start visiting those areas on their own when and if they feel comfortable with it" the ****? are you trying to be some sort of dad?

alright marlowe. fair enough. I cant believe rohan hasn't been here to point out my living situation yet lol. i lost this round

Last edited by andrew22 : 01-10-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-10-2010 at 10:53 PM   #41
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Whoa, naive.
When have I posted telling people not to explore Hamilton? I got mugged on king and james and STILL go there on a regular basis.

failzorsoldman.

Old 01-10-2010 at 10:59 PM   #42
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

Quote:
what about thunder bay and brantford? or am I not reading it correctly?
Wooo Brantford represent haha. I come from Brantford and never really find it all that scary at all. I don't think Hamilton is bad at all either. Though you do get a few shifty people in the downtown area once in awhile.

soltintal likes this.
Old 01-10-2010 at 11:00 PM   #43
ladyh

Liked: 25 Times

i work in the east end of hamilton, the part that is often called "sketchy", and though there are hookers that work the street corner in front of my workplace, nothing bad has ever happened to me .. even at night. all you need is a little bit of street sense and common sense to stay out of trouble, lol.

but i don't think it's right to criticize people who are only used to living in small towns for being freaked out by hamilton .. they're not used to seeing "sketchyness", and if they've lived in a small town their whole lives they probably haven't had a need to develop street smarts anyway. you can't blame people for being sheltered or "naive", that's not out of choice. i think most people learn with time as they grow up how to handle themselves in "sketchy" areas.
Old 01-10-2010 at 11:02 PM   #44
andrew22
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyh View Post
i work in the east end of hamilton, the part that is often called "sketchy", and though there are hookers that work the street corner in front of my workplace, nothing bad has ever happened to me .. even at night. all you need is a little bit of street sense and common sense to stay out of trouble, lol.

but i don't think it's right to criticize people who are only used to living in small towns for being freaked out by hamilton .. they're not used to seeing "sketchyness", and if they've lived in a small town their whole lives they probably haven't had a need to develop street smarts anyway. you can't blame people for being sheltered or "naive", that's not out of choice. i think most people learn with time as they grow up how to handle themselves in "sketchy" areas.
get out of here! i've claimed this site.
wanna check out those coffeeshops?

soltintal likes this.
Old 01-10-2010 at 11:02 PM   #45
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

3 cheers for hookers!

soltintal likes this.