MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
laptop Teresa123 Computers & Tech 20 08-27-2010 08:54 PM
$35 Laptop! blackdragon Computers & Tech 14 07-23-2010 11:38 PM
Discovery of pottery shards which may date back 1500 years Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 06-20-2010 12:18 PM
Laptop? kanishka General Discussion 51 07-03-2009 08:40 PM

Best Laptop for under 1500?

Old 06-30-2011 at 10:35 PM   #46
HanPark9205

Liked: 1 Time

Use little more and buy MacBook Pro 15inch.
I bought mine like 3 month ago..
Totally awesome You can run COD, BF and SC2 without any problems

My friend bought 13inch... its also good too!
Old 06-30-2011 at 10:37 PM   #47
HanPark9205

btw ifu wanna buy macbook pro 15inch..
dont buy the advanced line.
IT DOESNT WORTH IT.
Buy the basic one..
You can always bootcamp and install Windows on your Mac.
So I use both systems' good parts
Old 06-30-2011 at 10:43 PM   #48
EngStud

Liked: 30 Times

If you're an engineering student, buying a Mac will be one of the worst thing you can do for yourself.

Macs are overpriced toys. The only reason you should by a mac is because of the OS which can only run on apple hardware.

Stick to other brands, they come with windows and install Linux on it. Great thing about Linux is you don't have to have it on your hardrive, you can play it with a live CD.

If there is such thing as the best OS, it is definitely Linux.

adaptation, gulfx like this.
Old 06-30-2011 at 10:49 PM   #49
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngStud View Post
If you're an engineering student, buying a Mac will be one of the worst thing you can do for yourself.

Macs are overpriced toys. The only reason you should by a mac is because of the OS which can only run on apple hardware.

Stick to other brands, they come with windows and install Linux on it. Great thing about Linux is you don't have to have it on your hardrive, you can play it with a live CD.

If there is such thing as the best OS, it is definitely Linux.
I've got several friends who got through Engineering I just fine with Macs.

@OP: Buy the computer you want, you won't need it for school nearly as much as you probably think.

However, you're looking for one under 1500 in which case Mac isn't the way to go. They are overpriced, as repeated by tons of people (most of whom have never actually used one...).
Old 07-01-2011 at 12:15 AM   #50
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

but something you life; with decent specs
you don't really need a top of the line model
Old 07-01-2011 at 12:41 AM   #51
fusionorchid

Liked: 6 Times

you can go multimedia, gaming, extremely long lasting, etc. $1500 is a LOT for a laptop. I have an asus laptop (2 yrs) and an msi netbook (1 yr) and i'm very satisfied with both of them. Go for asus for good warranty, because they cover physical damage for one year, and repairs for 2 years.
Old 07-01-2011 at 02:37 PM   #52
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionorchid View Post
you can go multimedia, gaming, extremely long lasting, etc. $1500 is a LOT for a laptop. I have an asus laptop (2 yrs) and an msi netbook (1 yr) and i'm very satisfied with both of them. Go for asus for good warranty, because they cover physical damage for one year, and repairs for 2 years.
Had mine for 1.3 yrs and warrenty still held and i got half mah money back when it... broke.
Old 07-01-2011 at 03:43 PM   #53
HanPark9205

well,
if you buy a mac, you can always install Windows as well.
So its like double operating systems.
Thus, doesnt really matter about running engineering programs.

Mac is overpriced. It is expensive.
However, the strongest part of the Macbook is Its stylish, strong, (made of aluminium unibody) and powerful battery.
I had like 3 laptops since I did not think i would need a desktop throughout whole my hs life.
I bought a Samsung, a LG and Macbook Pro.

Samsung one is great.
Better than sony in many ways although the price is similar to Sony.
Sony's speaker and keyboard is really bad. (personal opinion)
The battery life is pretty descent.. I can say its better than many other windows laptops.

LG is just bad.
Dont buy it.
Over heats easily and battery is pretty bad.

MacBook Pro.
I love this. really nice. I love the battery life.. full 7 hours of like (in full brightness) for at least 1,000 times.

I care about battery life a lot since i hated carrying adapters everywhere and sometimes electric plugs are not available. + I think another strong thing about MacBook is it is easier to get repaired and stuff (hardware) since Apples stores are everywhere. However, for pc laptops.. mostly you have to send back to the customer service which takes around 1-2 weeks.

I might be wrong.
However, thats why I chose Mac over other laptops after using windows for around 10 years.
Old 07-01-2011 at 05:31 PM   #54
Mr.Prodigy

Liked: 43 Times

Go for a Sager or MSI
Old 07-02-2011 at 12:30 AM   #55
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I would avoid a mac if you are concerned about price. They're pretty, seem to have good life (I'm not sure exactly how long, none of my close friends have one) and tend to be lighter, but I honestly dont see what all the fuss is about with them. But if you're really into a mac, I know titles has sales near the start of term- might get a nice deal.

Anything you can do on a mac you can do on a windows cheaper. plus windows tend to be more compatible with computer programs and things - I remember Safari had issues with Avenue back when it first started (or maybe Elm? I'm not sure exactly). For a program like Eng I would lean towards a PC - yes, you can dual boot, but it takes up a lot of your storage space. Plus, you might not be able to get it to work (I dont know how good you are with computer, lol).

Just make sure you get a good PC - avoid AMD garbage and get Intel or something else high end inside. a good few hundred dollars of the laptop price comes from that alone.

I have an HP Pavillion dv6. I've never had an issue with it, and I've been running Win7 on it since I got it at the end of grade 12 (going into III this year). I've seen my friend's Toshiba with an AMD crash and burn, and another AMD be horribly slow and literally fall apart. Its heavier than a Mac and lasts about three lectures (typing/PP/internet when boring). Since its been mentioned - It does get hot when its been going on High for a long time, but I can't remember the last time the fan came on... I think it might be more of a problem with people sitting them on their pants/laps and having the fabric clog the vents (I dunno....not an expert). I hate sitting it on my lap (I cant type properly), so that might be the difference.

/not much of a laptop expert... my dad knows more and basically pointed one out that met whatever he was going for and asked if I wanted that one.

Last edited by britb : 07-02-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-02-2011 at 08:15 PM   #56
theLoo

Liked: 0 Times

going into first year enigneering and getting this http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/product...20s/index.html

What do you guys think? I am planning to get it with i5. Do you think this would be suffice for engineering despite the fact that it does not have discrete graphics?
Old 07-02-2011 at 08:22 PM   #57
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLoo View Post
going into first year enigneering and getting this http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/product...20s/index.html

What do you guys think? I am planning to get it with i5. Do you think this would be suffice for engineering despite the fact that it does not have discrete graphics?
Not sure, but if you have a VISA card, buying it from this website would be a lot cheaper.

http://shoplenovo.i2.com/SEUILibrary...inity=visa ca
Old 07-12-2011 at 10:16 AM   #58
iolajos

Liked: 0 Times

Macbook
macbook for sure, get the 13 inch pro with the i3 or i5, not the little white one with the core 2 from the stone age lol
Old 07-12-2011 at 10:34 AM   #59
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

the new Sony vaio's are pretty wicked, and I had the chance to work with the Dell XPS 15z last weekend and I was very impressed.
Old 07-12-2011 at 10:47 AM   #60
paperplanes

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldBeStudying View Post
Not sure, but if you have a VISA card, buying it from this website would be a lot cheaper.

http://shoplenovo.i2.com/SEUILibrary...inity=visa ca

will the lenovo laptops stay around that price? im considering ordering it closer to september