MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
degrees angelrocks24 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-14-2010 07:29 PM
Combining Degrees shes-a-diva* Academics 9 03-21-2010 09:43 AM
Double Degrees njd123 General Discussion 7 09-12-2009 02:18 PM
Multiple Degrees Goce Academics 9 07-11-2009 09:04 PM

best undergrad degrees by pay

Old 09-09-2009 at 09:32 AM   #16
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I once read that when one compares the work that an engineer does to the pay that they receive, an engineer is actually quite "poor" because they should be given more money for what they have to deal with.
They put countless hours into designing the projects, fixing the problems, building the structure, problem solving again, and making sure all of this is done on a strict budget and with deadlines.

That article encouraged people who were bitter at the high salaries of fresh engineers to remember that as they got further along in their careers, their salaries didn't reflect their work and they could face the risk of being replaced by younger engineers at any time. As you can see with some engineering disciplines, the amount doesn't exactly double when considering their mid-career salary.

I'm not arguing for one side or another, I just remembered that and thought it would be relevant.

I also find it interesting that so many of us first years advocate for our faculties and our programs thinking this is what we will do for the next four years. To be very frank, not all Commerce kids will make it because they may find their passions elsewhere, not all Biology kids will love how intensive the subject is, and not all engineers may be interested in the application of physics, more the theory.

I think as long as you work hard and know you're competent in whatever area you do and love what you do, the money will be enough.
For the dissatisfied CEO who doesn't get to spend enough time with his children, no $30 million bonus will suffice.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

maclover says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 09-09-2009 at 09:53 AM   #17
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Awesome. Exactly why I plan on moving to the states.
I would never live there. Have fun.

I hope you plan on working here for a few years to pay back our society for your education by the way.

Kevin S, sinthusized like this.
Old 09-09-2009 at 10:59 AM   #18
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:

It seems like if you're an engineer or in some area of commerce you're good to go, eh.
Good to go if you consider money the only factor in having a good life.
Old 09-09-2009 at 11:42 AM   #19
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I would never live there. Have fun.

I hope you plan on working here for a few years to pay back our society for your education by the way.
Don't plan on it. Me paying for schooling isn't good enough? I don't WANT to live there, I just WANT to make money. Also, for the record... don't care much for society. I'll "pay my debts to society" after I kill someone, not after I pay money to attend a program they offer. They're not doing me a favor, if I didn't go to school here, I'd go somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Good to go if you consider money the only factor in having a good life.
Pretty much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I once read that when one compares the work that an engineer does to the pay that they receive, an engineer is actually quite "poor" because they should be given more money for what they have to deal with.
They put countless hours into designing the projects, fixing the problems, building the structure, problem solving again, and making sure all of this is done on a strict budget and with deadlines.

That article encouraged people who were bitter at the high salaries of fresh engineers to remember that as they got further along in their careers, their salaries didn't reflect their work and they could face the risk of being replaced by younger engineers at any time. As you can see with some engineering disciplines, the amount doesn't exactly double when considering their mid-career salary.

I'm not arguing for one side or another, I just remembered that and thought it would be relevant.

I also find it interesting that so many of us first years advocate for our faculties and our programs thinking this is what we will do for the next four years. To be very frank, not all Commerce kids will make it because they may find their passions elsewhere, not all Biology kids will love how intensive the subject is, and not all engineers may be interested in the application of physics, more the theory.

I think as long as you work hard and know you're competent in whatever area you do and love what you do, the money will be enough.
For the dissatisfied CEO who doesn't get to spend enough time with his children, no $30 million bonus will suffice.
I've read/heard something similar to this, and I've seen it in action. It's cause a lot of them are paid on salary... One of my best friends, his dad is the head engineer or something at the OPG near Bowmanville... apparently he "only" makes like, 100k a year. (I say only because if he screws up, all of clarington goes ka-boom)

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 09-09-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-09-2009 at 12:09 PM   #20
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Eat the rich.
Old 09-09-2009 at 12:41 PM   #21
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
Eat the rich.
Salt or pepper, madame?

Old 09-09-2009 at 03:20 PM   #22
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

http://www.canadavisa.com/canadian-salary-survey.html#C i think this is the best link for everyone...have a look!
Old 09-09-2009 at 03:41 PM   #23
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

You tell 'em lawleypop!!

Moving out of Canada post-education = win.
Old 09-09-2009 at 07:01 PM   #24
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Don't plan on it. Me paying for schooling isn't good enough? I don't WANT to live there, I just WANT to make money. Also, for the record... don't care much for society. I'll "pay my debts to society" after I kill someone, not after I pay money to attend a program they offer. They're not doing me a favor, if I didn't go to school here, I'd go somewhere else.
My taxes pay for your education (from Kindergarten until you finish... post-secondary is heavily subsidized). You owe me service in return. The same goes for everyone else.

That's how it's supposed to work.

Leaving Canada after post-secondary = poor morals. If that's how you are then I don't want you in my Canada anyways. Bye!

Last edited by Taunton : 09-09-2009 at 07:08 PM.

Kevin S, sew12 like this.
Old 09-09-2009 at 07:01 PM   #25
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
You tell 'em lawleypop!!

Moving out of Canada post-education = win.
Then don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Kevin S likes this.
Old 09-09-2009 at 08:55 PM   #26
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:

It seems like if you're an engineer or in some area of commerce you're good to go, eh.
Umm Where exactly did it say B-Comm(Commerce Degree)= Economics?

It is pure Economics learnt in a social science's focused empirical environment over three and usually more years that is pure economics not commercey stuff.

I am pretty biased but it is the "buisness" graduates at various companies who frequently mess up with excessive capitalist intent and ignore the rules of economics and look down on the economists who were predicting this stuff for quite some time! Utopian view of Capitalism used by them= FAIL (Atleast according to the branch of Behavioural Economics that I personally subscribe too!)

As Ludwig Von Mises said: "Economics is not about things and tangible material objects; it is about men, their meanings and actions." & "It is impossible to understand the history of economic thought if one does not pay attention to the fact that economics as such is a challenge to the conceit of those in power"

I would recommend every commerce graduate to atleast minor in economics!

p.s: I'm just pissed off against commies after they stole our socsciguy suit; And generally have these arrogant chants regarding salary/jobs against us :@ :@ :@ :@
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also if Commerce graduates want to run off to USA they are free to do so; there might be qualified candidates waiting!

However for research intensive degrees(where people are unique in their focus) that can generally benefit the wider society around them; it is very sad for people to leave: It's called "brain drain phenomenon" and is a problem for a number of third world countries!

People leaving a purely Capitalist country(like USA) is more acceptable then a place like Canada where the government subsidizes education! Because essentially Society is paying 3/4th of your tuition fees. If it wasn't you'll be paying over 20,000k in tuition like USA. Why else do you think education is cheaper in Canada?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 09-09-2009 at 09:23 PM   #27
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

WOOOO PHYSICS... how come I'm poor? :(
Old 09-09-2009 at 10:23 PM   #28
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
My taxes pay for your education (from Kindergarten until you finish... post-secondary is heavily subsidized). You owe me service in return. The same goes for everyone else.

Leaving Canada after post-secondary = poor morals. If that's how you are then I don't want you in my Canada anyways. Bye!
If you want to receive service for you paying for something, then go get yourself a lovely little prostitute.

Also, I highly doubt that you've been paying taxes since I was in Kindergarden till now. Unless you're what, 30 years old? I think Reeves is the only person who can say that.

And I've thought it's been pretttttttttty obvious from the getgo that I don't exactly have morals.

"Your" Canada. You actually made me scoff in real life. Congrats.

I don't owe you anything, and I really wouldn't wait for me to ever pay you back. If you have such a problem with people doing what they want to do after they spend your lovely tax dollars, there's a simple solution. Don't pay your taxes.

Last edited by lawleypop : 09-09-2009 at 10:26 PM.

myInteger likes this.
Old 09-09-2009 at 10:24 PM   #29
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Umm Where exactly did it say B-Comm(Commerce Degree)= Economics?

It is pure Economics learnt in a social science's focused empirical environment over three and usually more years that is pure economics not commercey stuff.

I am pretty biased but it is the "buisness" graduates at various companies who frequently mess up with excessive capitalist intent and ignore the rules of economics and look down on the economists who were predicting this stuff for quite some time! Utopian view of Capitalism used by them= FAIL (Atleast according to the branch of Behavioural Economics that I personally subscribe too!)

As Ludwig Von Mises said: "Economics is not about things and tangible material objects; it is about men, their meanings and actions." & "It is impossible to understand the history of economic thought if one does not pay attention to the fact that economics as such is a challenge to the conceit of those in power"

I would recommend every commerce graduate to atleast minor in economics!

p.s: I'm just pissed off against commies after they stole our socsciguy suit; And generally have these arrogant chants regarding salary/jobs against us :@ :@ :@ :@
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also if Commerce graduates want to run off to USA they are free to do so; there might be qualified candidates waiting!

However for research intensive degrees(where people are unique in their focus) that can generally benefit the wider society around them; it is very sad for people to leave: It's called "brain drain phenomenon" and is a problem for a number of third world countries!

People leaving a purely Capitalist country(like USA) is more acceptable then a place like Canada where the government subsidizes education! Because essentially Society is paying 3/4th of your tuition fees. If it wasn't you'll be paying over 20,000k in tuition like USA. Why else do you think education is cheaper in Canada?
Apparently you missed the Finance and the Accounting and the Marketing part of it too.

Also, I'm not bothering to read the rest of your post.

Old 09-09-2009 at 10:39 PM   #30
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:

I don't owe you anything. YOU haven't done anything for me. "That's how it's supposed to work"? Says who, you?

I didn't realize Canada belonged to you.

You can keep your arrogant self-righteous attitude to yourself. Just because you want to stay in Canada, doesn't mean people who want to leave have poor-morals; My parents paid taxes their entire lives. (It overpaid my tuition by the way). You've paid no/little-to-no taxes.

Last edited by PTGregD : 09-09-2009 at 10:44 PM.

myInteger likes this.