MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
degrees angelrocks24 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-14-2010 07:29 PM
Combining Degrees shes-a-diva* Academics 9 03-21-2010 09:43 AM
Double Degrees njd123 General Discussion 7 09-12-2009 02:18 PM
Multiple Degrees Goce Academics 9 07-11-2009 09:04 PM

best undergrad degrees by pay

Old 09-09-2009 at 10:42 PM   #31
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I wouldn't want to leave Canada and do a graduate degree, primarily because I don't want to work in the States. I might leave Mac and go to UBC for my masters or McGill, but nah, States aren't for me. But it's a real trend, the whole brain-drain issue happening in Canada. Everyone's going south, leaving the dumbshits up here. Haha... ahh...
Old 09-09-2009 at 10:56 PM   #32
shanntz

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I would never live there. Have fun.

I hope you plan on working here for a few years to pay back our society for your education by the way.
Three cheers for politically minded folks! Rest assured:

"This chart is based upon PayScale Salary Survey data for full-time employees in the United States who possess a Bachelor's degree and no higher degrees and have majored in the subjects listed above. These results may not represent all graduates with these degrees. All colleges and universities across the nation were included. As a result, median salary figures may be skewed toward large state universities, since these schools have the largest attendance. Salary is the sum of compensation from base salary, bonuses, profit sharing, commissions, and overtime, if applicable."

Better news for the folks that want to pursue graduate studies.
Old 09-09-2009 at 10:57 PM   #33
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Also, I highly doubt that you've been paying taxes since I was in Kindergarden till now. Unless you're what, 30 years old? I think Reeves is the only person who can say that.
This post is full of win for metioning me.

That is all
Old 09-10-2009 at 08:12 AM   #34
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanntz View Post
Three cheers for politically minded folks! Rest assured:

"This chart is based upon PayScale Salary Survey data for full-time employees in the United States who possess a Bachelor's degree and no higher degrees and have majored in the subjects listed above. These results may not represent all graduates with these degrees. All colleges and universities across the nation were included. As a result, median salary figures may be skewed toward large state universities, since these schools have the largest attendance. Salary is the sum of compensation from base salary, bonuses, profit sharing, commissions, and overtime, if applicable."

Better news for the folks that want to pursue graduate studies.
Apparently a lot of graduate studies do you know better in terms for looking for a job. You end up being over qualified, in some respects.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-10-2009 at 12:25 PM   #35
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
I don't owe you anything. YOU haven't done anything for me. "That's how it's supposed to work"? Says who, you?

I didn't realize Canada belonged to you.

You can keep your arrogant self-righteous attitude to yourself. Just because you want to stay in Canada, doesn't mean people who want to leave have poor-morals; My parents paid taxes their entire lives. (It overpaid my tuition by the way). You've paid no/little-to-no taxes.
It's a pity you don't understand how our society works.

What you're advocating is called FREE-LOADING. You're a freeloader if you think you're going to take the education that everyone in Canada has paid for and run off to pay taxes elsewhere. As far as I'm concerned I don't want you in MY CANADA (that's right, I love my country, and I'll call it MY CANADA).

It's far from being arrogant and self-righteous. It's called fighting for what is right. There's too many freeloaders in this world.

Have fun in the States! Don't come crawling back here when you've been eaten up by the capitalist machine and can't afford healthcare or your child's education.

Last edited by Taunton : 09-10-2009 at 12:39 PM.

sew12 likes this.
Old 09-10-2009 at 04:33 PM   #36
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
It's a pity you don't understand how our society works.

What you're advocating is called FREE-LOADING. You're a freeloader if you think you're going to take the education that everyone in Canada has paid for and run off to pay taxes elsewhere. As far as I'm concerned I don't want you in MY CANADA (that's right, I love my country, and I'll call it MY CANADA).

It's far from being arrogant and self-righteous. It's called fighting for what is right. There's too many freeloaders in this world.

Have fun in the States! Don't come crawling back here when you've been eaten up by the capitalist machine and can't afford healthcare or your child's education.
My parents paid taxes, so as far as I'm concerned, I'm not free-loading. On top of that, I've spent more than enough money in Canada helping Canadian businesses out. It's very hard to be called a free-loader when you're in a nation that taxes 45% and you have been a consumer for 20 years of that nation's products. Actually, I'd be willing to wager that I've helped Canada's GDP more than you.

I won't even touch on the fact that you probably have little-to-no clue how healthcare works in the U.S. based on your comment.
Old 09-10-2009 at 04:40 PM   #37
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
My parents paid taxes, so as far as I'm concerned, I'm not free-loading. On top of that, I've spent more than enough money in Canada helping Canadian businesses out. It's very hard to be called a free-loader when you're in a nation that taxes 45% and you have been a consumer for 20 years of that nation's products. Actually, I'd be willing to wager that I've helped Canada's GDP more than you.

I won't even touch on the fact that you probably have little-to-no clue how healthcare works in the U.S. based on your comment.
Well, since we're all arguing about taxes now, I'll jump in too. My dad's been clearing 100k for the past 20 years and has been paying 48% in taxes since I was about... 12? (I pulled his paystub outta the garbage can and calculated it). I don't know much about the history of taxes and I'm not going to pretend I do, but I'm willing to say he's been paying taxes through his ass for a really long time now.

As far as I'm concerned, my parents taxes have paid for my own education. And if people who have actually been paying a significant amount of taxes for a significant amount of time don't care that I'm not "repaying my debt to society" (still makes me lol), then I can't imagine why you care. Like gregory said, we don't owe YOU anything. By your argument, we "owe something to society," but luckily for me, I don't give a shit about society. Humans need money to live, and I'm going to make money. I'm not going to follow these imaginary rules.

Also, for the record. Don't ever plan on having kids, so stop throwing out all these things that make the u.s seem soooooooooooo scary. Propaganda ftw apparently.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 09-10-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-10-2009 at 05:18 PM   #38
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

I hope lawleypop makes good on her promise and gets out of Canada as soon as she graduates.

Maybe we can exchange her for an nice American or something.
Old 09-10-2009 at 05:55 PM   #39
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

guize it's awlright...let's all be friends. Nobody's going to America for good, the driving is so awful, they would come right back(Ive had some life-altering experiences).
Old 09-10-2009 at 06:16 PM   #40
ghjkghkghkgh

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanishka View Post
so is software same as computer science?

From what I've been told, they are very different fields.
Old 09-10-2009 at 06:26 PM   #41
ghjkghkghkgh

Liked: 38 Times

What's going on now in the States to me illustrates how flash-in-the-pan thinking and selfishness (see also: the current state of the American Dream) eventually catches up to people. A Canadian may not make as much hard cash per individual, but overall I'd imagine is much more satisfied than a typical member of the neighbourhood to the south. I could be completely wrong, but we're a part of one of the few G8 countries who haven't had to bail out their banks to stay afloat during the recent recession. That is an indication of something, isn't it?

Last edited by ghjkghkghkgh : 09-10-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-10-2009 at 06:36 PM   #42
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Due to some of the inappropriate commentary on this thread between several users this thread is now closed.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

adrian, myInteger, PTGregD, thedog123123 all say thanks to lorend for this post.

thedog123123 likes this.