Physics 2c03 orcymorky Academics 1 05-31-2010 03:22 PM
psych 2c03 Mali Academics 0 09-05-2009 12:02 PM

Bio 2C03

Old 07-29-2009 at 08:53 AM   #16
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Bio 2C03
I took this course in 08/09 and it was taught by Dr. Dej and Dr. Campos. The course can be roughy segregated into three parts, two taught by Dr. Dej and one by Dr. Campos.

The first part of the course covers Mendelian genetics and basic patterns of inheritance. Much of it was similar...

Last edited by Fight0 : 07-29-2009 at 08:58 AM.

all say thanks to Fight0 for this post.
Old 06-12-2010 at 09:26 PM   #15
SashDoods

Liked: 1 Time
Does anyone know anything about Mr. Bedard?

He's the prof for genetics first term.
Old 06-14-2010 at 09:49 PM   #16
Radar

Sorry I can't answer your question SashDoods I am taking the course then too and was wondering the same thing. I have also heard having data management (12U)/stats 2B03 is a good idea, but I didn't take data in high school and I am taking both genetics and stats in the fall. I was wondering if this is OK because the OP said a good understanding of probability is important but I will be learning the two at the same time.

Thanks for any and all help on this matter!
Old 06-15-2010 at 12:11 PM   #17
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times
I'm taking stats 2B03 and genetics right now (at the same time), and I found that the probability stuff was taught better in genetics. We learned it there first, before it was covered in stats, and if not for genetics, I probably wouldn't have understood it as well in stats. Dr Dej explained it really well and made it really simple. Of course, our stats prof was kind of a fail, so if you have a decent prof, it will probably help

It shouldn't be a problem taking genetics without stats, though. Most of the probabilities in genetics are common sense.

Radar likes this.
Old 06-15-2010 at 12:18 PM   #18
Radar

Thanks Lauren! May I ask who your stats prof was?
Old 06-15-2010 at 12:28 PM   #19
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Amadou Sarr...he's a postdoc, so I'm pretty sure it's his first time teaching. We only got through about half the course :|
Aaron Childs usually teaches it during the year, and I've heard he's pretty good.
Old 06-19-2010 at 09:51 PM   #20
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
How difficult is this course with other second year biology courses and Orgo? Is a 10+ grade possible? And any tips/hints for doing well in the course?
Thanks!
Old 06-19-2010 at 11:54 PM   #21
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
How difficult is this course with other second year biology courses and Orgo? Is a 10+ grade possible? And any tips/hints for doing well in the course?
Thanks!
#1 tip/hint: take with Dr. Dej.

10+ is DEFINITELY possible.
Old 06-20-2010 at 10:36 AM   #22
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times
I had it with Dr. Dudley, and it was still a very easy 10. Its pretty much just easy material, very manageable with the rest of your courses.
Old 06-20-2010 at 05:21 PM   #23
nerual
Account Disabled by User

It's pretty much a bird course, not gonna lie definitely manageable with whatever other crazy courses you're taking

With Dr Dej, it's practically a guaranteed 10+, or a definite 12 if you put in effort
Old 06-20-2010 at 05:51 PM   #24
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Phew, awesome! Thanks guys
Old 08-06-2010 at 05:07 PM   #25
Rhythm

Liked: 2 Times
soo no one has heard of Dr. Bedard and how he is?
Old 12-30-2010 at 10:18 PM   #26
sandani.h

Liked: 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Yep, I personally didn't put in that much time into it. Plus if it's the only course you are taking during the term then you'll be good.
Whats the layout for the summer term ? Is it a three hour class twice a week sort of deal ? And how do the tutorials work ?
Old 12-30-2010 at 11:26 PM   #27
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandani.h View Post
Whats the layout for the summer term ? Is it a three hour class twice a week sort of deal ? And how do the tutorials work ?
I'm pretty sure all classes follow that layout. Tutorial would be either before or after.
Old 05-01-2011 at 12:00 PM   #28
3am Coffee

Liked: 155 Times
Any updates?
Old 05-01-2011 at 02:01 PM   #29
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times
I took the course from Jan-April 2011, and it was taught by Dr. Dej (as opposed to the first semester from Sept-Dec 2010, where it was taught by Dr Patel and Dr Bedard, I think).

I thought Dr Dej wasn't the best instructor, and most classes (perhaps because I sat at the back and fell asleep) I was pretty confused and didn't quite understand what was going on.

The material Dr Dej teaches is confusing, but the good part of this course is you don't have to memorize everything because most of the questions are application based.

The beginning part of the term has a lot of math questions (probability, etc), while the latter half focusses a lot on chromosomes and some calculations as well.

This was one of my favourite courses, because even though I didn't understand everything at first, as soon as I actually decided to study for a few hours it would just click and I was able to answer anything she asked us.

The midterms were difficult but fair, if it 'clicked' for you and/or you studied a decent amount, you could get 90+ on both. The project was marked fairly, as well as the tutorials (which were pretty much 100% for almost everyone).

The exam was genuinely difficult, but also fair as they removed and changed a question that a lot of people were complaining about (I think it was their mistake, not the students, though), but in either case, a great course.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search