Physics 2c03 orcymorky Academics 1 05-31-2010 03:22 PM
psych 2c03 Mali Academics 0 09-05-2009 12:02 PM

Bio 2C03

Old 07-29-2009 at 08:53 AM   #61
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Bio 2C03
I took this course in 08/09 and it was taught by Dr. Dej and Dr. Campos. The course can be roughy segregated into three parts, two taught by Dr. Dej and one by Dr. Campos.

The first part of the course covers Mendelian genetics and basic patterns of inheritance. Much of it was similar...

Last edited by Fight0 : 07-29-2009 at 08:58 AM.

all say thanks to Fight0 for this post.
Old 07-21-2013 at 11:57 PM   #60
Jg14

Liked: 0 Times
Hey,
can anyone who took this course last year please tell me what was on the first midterm
as in what chapters.
thank you in advance
Old 07-23-2013 at 12:50 PM   #61
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jg14 View Post
Hey,
can anyone who took this course last year please tell me what was on the first midterm
as in what chapters.
thank you in advance
I have not taken the course yet, but last year's outline can be found here:

http://www.biology.mcmaster. ca/ima...%202012-13.pdf

It doesn't have chapter numbers but it lists all the topics taught before the first midterm. Also, there's only one midterm.
Old 07-30-2013 at 05:38 PM   #62
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times
pretty hard course. hardest 2nd year bio testing wise.
Old 07-31-2013 at 03:08 PM   #63
lavender

Would anyone happen to know if the midterm and exam for Bio 2C03 is the same for Mol Bio 2C03?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-31-2013 at 03:46 PM   #64
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
Would anyone happen to know if the midterm and exam for Bio 2C03 is the same for Mol Bio 2C03?

Thanks in advance!
yes
12 chars
Old 12-26-2013 at 12:32 AM   #65
Aaliyah

Liked: 3 Times
The course is being taught by Robbins and Da Silva next term. Any comments on how they teach and how hard their tests are. I wasn't able to find them on 'rate my prof'

Any comments would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2013 at 01:04 PM   #66
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaliyah View Post
The course is being taught by Robbins and Da Silva next term. Any comments on how they teach and how hard their tests are. I wasn't able to find them on 'rate my prof'

Any comments would be helpful. Thanks!
I'm not sure about Robbins but Da Silva is new to Mac this year, hence the lack of reviews. However, she came from UT Mississauga so if you check Rate My Prof there instead of McMaster you can see what UT students thought of her: http://www.ratemyprofessors. com/Sh...?tid=1 561928

(I've also heard decent things about her from some first years who had her for 1A03 this term).

Aaliyah says thanks to Quiver for this post.
Old 12-27-2013 at 07:46 PM   #67
bradyr

Liked: 10 Times
How are the assignments? I've heard things like ambiguous questions that cause you to lose so many marks when you don't include what they are specfically looking for, people being fed up with the TA marking which can be very polar between different TAs.
Old 07-02-2014 at 10:03 AM   #68
jvux

Liked: 1 Time
2013-2014 with Dr. Robbins and Dr. da Silva

- I thought the course content was interesting. We went through population genetics, dihybrid crosses, trihybrid crosses, etc...

- The assignments sucked. You had to read 2 articles and answer some questions. However, there was a very specific marking scheme, and you had to write specific words to get full marks (i.e. this protein was on chromosome 13 and had 3 alpha helixes). There was no page limit, so just keep adding stuff in.

- Midterm and exam. These weren't too difficult. There were no surprise questions. There were a few questions from the textbook, so practice those questions.

Overall: I enjoyed the course. I thought this course was going to be a lot harder than it was based on other reviews. It isn't a difficult course as long as you put the effort in.
Old 01-02-2016 at 11:30 AM   #69
mm99mm

Liked: 4 Times
Any recent reviews? How is this course?
Old 02-18-2017 at 01:01 PM   #70
mattress

2016-2017 with Dr. Dej and Dr. Gupta:

The content of the course was really interesting; not a huge fan of biology, but thoroughly enjoyed the genetics branch of it.

Tutorials are necessary to attend - participation makes up an easy 2% of your mark.

Tutorial quizzes on avenue make up 6% of your mark, and they're pretty much free marks as well.

Tutorial assignments make up 12% of your mark in total - class average for these were about 65% when I took it during the fall semester. They used a really flawed grading scheme for this, so I think they may have changed it for the Winter Term.

Midterm & Exam - Our midterm was 40% of our mark, and our exam was 40% of our mark - basically we had 2 exams. They were both non-cumulative so they covered their respective half of the course. Midterm was very fair; class average was good for this (I believe around 80). The exam also had a decent average, which I think was in the mid to high 70s. Although the midterm and exam weren't really hard, it was a lot of information to memorize and it just made me nervous knowing that 80% of my marks would depend on two tests.. It was a really bad grading breakdown imo, and now they have changed the format completely. They made the midterm worth a lot less and spread out those marks to other things. After this format change, I would definitely recommend this course. If you're in Life Sciences and you need either Bio 2C03 or Life Sci 2G03 -- take life sci 2G03 because it is a hell of a lot easier to get a good grade in.

* Didn't open the textbook much - just helps for deeper understanding of lecture content.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search