Physics 2c03 orcymorky Academics 1 05-31-2010 03:22 PM
psych 2c03 Mali Academics 0 09-05-2009 12:02 PM

Bio 2C03

Old 07-29-2009 at 08:53 AM   #31
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Bio 2C03
I took this course in 08/09 and it was taught by Dr. Dej and Dr. Campos. The course can be roughy segregated into three parts, two taught by Dr. Dej and one by Dr. Campos.

The first part of the course covers Mendelian genetics and basic patterns of inheritance. Much of it was similar...

Last edited by Fight0 : 07-29-2009 at 08:58 AM.

all say thanks to Fight0 for this post.
Old 05-02-2011 at 03:02 AM   #30
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times
Bio 2C03 was probably one of the easiest course I've ever taken at Mac. In fact, the class average going into the final exam was about 85% (i've never seen a class avg this high, ever).

The professor was Dr. Dej, and I felt that she was an okay prof (seemed disorganized). I found her lectures to be boring, and ended up skipping most of them. Luckily, the lectures were posted online and reading these was enough to do well. Although the textbook for the course was optional, I found it to be an extremely helpful resource. The midterm tests (MC+written parts) were more than fair, and the class did exceptionally well on these. I suspect this was the case because the course material was pretty much a repeat of first year Bio 1A03.

Over the term, there was a fun little group project we had to work on. You basically had to write a short essay on a topic in genetics and present your findings. TAs were generous and everyone ended up with a good mark. I should also mention that there were mandatory tutorials every week, where you essentially got free marks.

The final exam was interesting and focused on the later material in the course. Like Alchemist mentioned, I found some parts of the exam to be poorly written, but felt that it was fair given the high class average going in.

In the end, I ended up with a pretty good mark in the course, although I'm not sure how others did. If you're into bio, this course might be a good elective to take.
Old 05-29-2011 at 05:44 PM   #31
bubblefish

Liked: 1 Time
I m wondering do you really need the textbook for this course ??
Old 05-29-2011 at 09:00 PM   #32
BlueWave

Liked: 16 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblefish View Post
I m wondering do you really need the textbook for this course ??
yeah a little
the textbook has practice problems on the three-point-cross - which were pretty helpful
but the tutorial questions were the best source of practice questions
some of the case studies presented during class were in the textbook (which also helped)

i would say its still worth buying it
if you want to save money, i guess you get share with a friend, or see if its available at the library
Old 06-08-2011 at 08:53 AM   #33
dasiln

i was wondering if anyone could give a more descriptive review on Dr. Campos teaching, as she's teaching it for the 2011 fall session.

s.ma likes this.
Old 06-21-2011 at 03:07 AM   #34
dropdeaddiva

does anyone know if bio 2c03 that offered in summer has tutorials. and are they mandatory?
Old 06-21-2011 at 08:54 AM   #35
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdeaddiva View Post
does anyone know if bio 2c03 that offered in summer has tutorials. and are they mandatory?
Yes and probably since there's a project and assignments.
Old 07-30-2011 at 05:55 PM   #36
Chrys742

Liked: 0 Times
is it better 2 take during the school year or summer skool?
Old 07-30-2011 at 06:41 PM   #37
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrys742 View Post
is it better 2 take during the school year or summer skool?
It's really up to you. Dr. Dej teaches a class in the fall as well as in the summer. I highly recommend taking the class with her.
Old 08-10-2011 at 12:16 PM   #38
urbski

Any reviews on Dr. Campos?
Old 08-19-2011 at 07:27 AM   #39
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times
I'm going to second that sentiment. Everyone seems to want to take C03 in the second term and I'm overloading as it is by taking Bio 2C03 in the fall. I really want to know whether the prof is worth it.

s.ma likes this.
Old 08-22-2011 at 12:06 PM   #40
elle.s

i also recommend taking it with Dr. dej
if there is no other plan for the summer, it might even be better to take it then.
I thought I could handle it well with other courses, but it ended up being a bit difficult for me :S
Old 08-26-2011 at 04:28 PM   #41
ngsv

So is it difficult if you take it with campos?
Old 08-26-2011 at 04:30 PM   #42
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngsv View Post
So is it difficult if you take it with campos?
Dr. Campos hasn't taught this course in the past few years, or ever, I'm not sure. So you won't be able to find the answer to that question, unfortunately.
Old 08-26-2011 at 04:54 PM   #43
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Dr. Campos hasn't taught this course in the past few years, or ever, I'm not sure. So you won't be able to find the answer to that question, unfortunately.
Although if you've been able to learn material on your own in first year, you should be able to do so with this course as well.
Old 08-27-2011 at 11:00 AM   #44
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
She has, I think, and reviews have been really horrible, which is why I'm searching for some desperate reassurance!

Buuuut I might just drop the course anyhow, so....

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search