MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Bursaries cjdzl Academics 15 08-29-2010 12:43 AM
Bursaries, again Melanieee Financial Aid 4 07-13-2010 12:37 PM
No OSAP = No Mac bursaries? Egotistic First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 08-29-2009 10:28 AM
Bursaries Are Out! Parnian General Discussion 27 02-02-2009 11:52 AM
When Do Bursaries come out? sinthusized General Discussion 5 11-24-2008 11:30 AM

Bursaries Have Been Given Out!

Old 01-27-2010 at 08:17 PM   #30
Kathy2
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoozik View Post
For those being denied, are you currently on OSAP?
Yes, I'm on OSAP and I picked it up by January 15.

I really, really hate that they base everything on OSAP. It obviously has a whole list of flaws. It's bad enough that deserving people can't get OSAP due to it's weird eligibility.. I wish they wouldn't base bursaries off OSAP. Why can't those two things be separate so it's a little more fair?

If someone go $2499 in OSAP, they didn't get a bursary. But someone who gets $2500 is likely to get a bursary. How does that make sense.

Gahh I hate this system.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 01-27-2010 at 09:04 PM   #31
sinthusized
Elite Member
Program: Anthropology

Liked: 98 Times
is the 2500 a new rule?
Old 01-27-2010 at 09:04 PM   #32
Bobby66
was offline, but
Program: ECE
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 84 Times
Previously, I was raised in a very poor neighbor, Regent Park. Both my parents are unemployed and living in community residence.
Now you know its going for a good cause, perhaps.

Last edited by Bobby66 : 01-27-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-27-2010 at 09:45 PM   #33
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby66 View Post
Previously, I was raised in a very poor neighbor, Regent Park. Both my parents are unemployed and living in community residence.
Now you know its going for a good cause, perhaps.
I'm not sure if this was directed at me or not ..?

I don't think anyone would deny that bursaries go to people who need them.
My issue is that, by using OSAP as the measurement of who needs them most, a lot of people are missing out. OSAP elibiglity is very tricky and it doesn't account for a lot of things. People who seriously need OSAP can easily be left out. So it bothers me that the bursaries are tied directly to OSAP like this.
Old 01-28-2010 at 01:32 AM   #34
Katia
Account Disabled by User
Program: Commerce
Year: Masters

Liked: 36 Times
Hope I get more than 1000

Last edited by Katia : 01-28-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-28-2010 at 02:17 AM   #35
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane
Program: Nanomaterials/Society

Liked: 974 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
Hope I get more than 1000... Wanna go to the beaaach
I have a feeling you're going to have a lot of people mad at you.

I think I'm still being assessed, but for some reason I now get "Mugsiseat failed" page. I'll give it some time though.
Old 01-28-2010 at 11:40 AM   #36
sniderj
Elite Member
Faculty: Business / Commerce
Year: Fifth

Liked: 177 Times
The eligibility criteria for OSAP are really stupid. I got next to nothing (about $1,500 for the entire year) because I own a car. My grandmother left it to me in her will when she passed away, and it's got a fair amount of "market value" left in it. OSAP of course assumes that if I REALLY wanted to go to school, I'd sell the car. But I'm not selling a car my grandmother left to me, and I have no friggin' money! So then McMaster says: "Well hey... if OSAP doesn't think you need the money, then to hell with you".

And then there are people like my friend in Waterloo who is just starting University now. His parents are LOADED, but since he's been out of high school for 4 years OSAP gave him a shit ton of money (Around $15,000), of which of course about $8,000 of that never needs to be repaid. So now, since his parents actually pay for his school, he can afford to go out drinking every night on his OSAP money. What a joke.

Alchemist11, kanthamd like this.
Old 01-28-2010 at 01:25 PM   #37
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Why? I'm saving all my earned money for tuition. Or I could use the bursary for school and take $1,000 out of my savings account and go on vacation. Same thing, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
I have a feeling you're going to have a lot of people mad at you.

I think I'm still being assessed, but for some reason I now get "Mugsiseat failed" page. I'll give it some time though.
Old 01-28-2010 at 01:42 PM   #38
snaps
Program: Software Engineering
Year: Fourth

Liked: 32 Times
Quote:
Why? I'm saving all my earned money for tuition. Or I could use the bursary for school and take $1,000 out of my savings account and go on vacation. Same thing, really.

this is what everyone means about OSAP not directing its money to the right people..

-edit
not everyone has a savings account reserved for their holidays.. I know too many people that have taken out bank loans to pay for their school. I am not saying that it is your fault that you got extra money, but i would just keep quiet about it.

Last edited by snaps : 01-28-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-28-2010 at 01:58 PM   #39
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps View Post
this is what everyone means about OSAP not directing its money to the right people..

FYI, not everyone has a savings account reserved for their holidays..
It is not reserved for my holidays, It's for school. If I can save extra for holidays working at a retirement home, you can too.
Old 01-28-2010 at 01:59 PM   #40
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane
Program: Nanomaterials/Society

Liked: 974 Times
Quote:
While it's great that you worked and earned money towards your tuition and still have enough left over for a savings account, there are some who are less fortunate and either couldn't find jobs over the summer, or had full-time jobs and still can't pay off tuition and/or living costs.

I'm surprised you got so much from OSAP and bursaries with all your savings though. It seems like they usually deduct a pretty significant amount from your loan if you have a job or other form of savings.
Old 01-28-2010 at 02:07 PM   #41
Katia
Account Disabled by User

I edited my comment. Anyway, everyone is different, some spend more than others. I think education should be free, kinda stupid how expensive it is!
I went to a private school before and its the same as any other school if not easier/worse, so why aren't there any free universities?
Old 01-28-2010 at 02:08 PM   #42
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
While it's great that you worked and earned money towards your tuition and still have enough left over for a savings account, there are some who are less fortunate and either couldn't find jobs over the summer, or had full-time jobs and still can't pay off tuition and/or living costs.

I'm surprised you got so much from OSAP and bursaries with all your savings though. It seems like they usually deduct a pretty significant amount from your loan if you have a job or other form of savings.
oh and PS- you don't declare the first 5000 you earn I believe, coz they assume thats how much you make. So if it says how much did you earn and you put 2000 they assume you made 7000. I think thats why most people get screwed over.
Old 01-28-2010 at 02:19 PM   #43
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Quote:
so why aren't there any free universities?
There are, just not in Canada. I know of one in Mexico, for example. I cannot imagine how much they cost the governments, though (although they now make students pay, but not in the same quantities as we do).

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-28-2010 at 02:27 PM   #44
TTHX
Program: Multimedia
Year: Third

Liked: 62 Times
Quote:
oh and PS- you don't declare the first 5000 you earn I believe, coz they assume thats how much you make. So if it says how much did you earn and you put 2000 they assume you made 7000. I think thats why most people get screwed over.
REALLY!?!?! FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU

no wonder...

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search