MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Bursaries cjdzl Academics 15 08-29-2010 12:43 AM
Bursaries, again Melanieee Financial Aid 4 07-13-2010 12:37 PM
No OSAP = No Mac bursaries? Egotistic First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 16 08-29-2009 10:28 AM
Bursaries Are Out! Parnian General Discussion 27 02-02-2009 11:52 AM
When Do Bursaries come out? sinthusized General Discussion 5 11-24-2008 11:30 AM

Bursaries Have Been Given Out!

Old 01-28-2010 at 02:27 PM   #45
Katia
Account Disabled by User
Program: Commerce
Year: Masters

Liked: 36 Times
Most unis in Europe, Russia, even some less developed countries such as Cuba and mexico like you mentioned are free or relatively cheap ( 500 Euros a semester in Germany) .

and Canada is in much better economic standing that most of these countries, so it only seems fair for them to give out bursaries and OSAP to evryone.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 01-28-2010 at 04:54 PM   #46
Mahratta
Elite Member
Program: -
Year: Other
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 366 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katia View Post
Most unis in Europe, Russia, even some less developed countries such as Cuba and mexico like you mentioned are free or relatively cheap ( 500 Euros a semester in Germany) .

and Canada is in much better economic standing that most of these countries, so it only seems fair for them to give out bursaries and OSAP to evryone.
Many European nations have "free" universities, and have made a university education very accessible.

That being said, it's devalued the university degree at many French and German universities - the private (or semi-private) ones are the only universities that most students aim for...

Old 01-28-2010 at 05:22 PM   #48
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
It is not reserved for my holidays, It's for school. If I can save extra for holidays working at a retirement home, you can too.
This is definately not true. Some people work full time in the summer and even during the school year (if not full time, then part time) and during holidays and still can't afford to go on vacation.

While I'm not judging you on whatever you plan on doing with your bursary money, it's kind of ignorant to say "If I can save up enough to go on vacation by working during the holidays, everyone else can too". Not trying to be rude but you probably shouldn't say that.
Old 01-28-2010 at 06:12 PM   #49
Katia
Account Disabled by User
Program: Commerce
Year: Masters

Liked: 36 Times
umm I didn't say I work during the holidays, I was in England over the holiidays.

Its called time and money management skills. some have them, some don't.

Too bad for you
Old 01-28-2010 at 06:28 PM   #50
sniderj
Elite Member
Faculty: Business / Commerce
Year: Fifth

Liked: 177 Times
Quote:
umm I didn't say I work during the holidays, I was in England over the holiidays.

Too bad for you
I THINK the argument that is trying to be made with regard to your statement is that OSAP has arbitrary rules for distributing funds, which allows some people to end up having money left over for vacation because of how much they got, while other people who may have saved more than you did get enough less in OSAP that they cannot afford to go on vacation.

You don't need to apologize for going on vacation. I would totally do the same if I were in your shoes. The issue here is with the system, not the individuals who benefit from the system. Try not to make this personal.
Old 01-28-2010 at 06:37 PM   #51
Rayine
Elite Member
Program: Chemical Biology
Year: Fourth

Liked: 207 Times
still being assessed
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 01-28-2010 at 06:57 PM   #52
jo87
Elite Member
Program: Social Sciences
Year: Second

Liked: 152 Times
Quote:

Too bad for you
Very ignorant of you. You don't know what financial situations people are in. You clearly get help from somewhere otherwise you wouldn't be talking like that.

manu, shanntz, snaps all say thanks to jo87 for this post.
Old 01-28-2010 at 06:58 PM   #53
snaps
Program: Software Engineering

Liked: 32 Times
Quote:

Too bad for you

REALLY? are you really saying these things?

You think that everyone had money at one point but they all spent it on a Gucci bag in France. It's like going to Somalia and start yelling at the people that they should manage their money better.. Some people just do not have the opportunity to make enough money. Sorry but I just hate ignorant people like you.

I hope the next time you reach for a fifty dollar bill from your wallet, you get a paper cut..

manu, SciMania, xo.monica all say thanks to snaps for this post.

xo.monica likes this.
Old 01-28-2010 at 10:17 PM   #54
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:

Too bad for you
My mistake, I thought you said you work during the holidays. Regardless, you are being very rude and ignorant. You can spend your money and your bursaries on whatever you want, but please don't say people who can't afford to go on vacation simply don't have time and money management skills. Some people have to pay for rent, tuition, books, groceries, family members, prescriptions, dental/optical bills, cars, etc. I'm very happy for you and the fact that you are able to make enough money to go on vacation and spend what you like, but that's not the case for everyone. And not everyone in a difficult financial situation is in that situation because of any fault of their own.

If this is really how you view the world, I fear you are in for avery rude awakening sometime in your life.

dmzz says thanks to Kathy2 for this post.

dmzz, manu like this.
Old 01-28-2010 at 11:09 PM   #55
temptingf8
Elite Member
Program: Energy Engineering Technologies (Renewable)

Liked: 129 Times
Still being assessed. :(

(hello first post!)
Old 01-28-2010 at 11:22 PM   #56
creen
Program: Philosophy
Year: Third

Liked: 29 Times
Quote:

Too bad for you
If you have money why would you apply for money that is supposed to go to students who need it the most.

Do you go on welfare in the summer? Do you goto the foodbank instead of shopping? Do you dress like a bumb and panhandle?

You have the questionable morals.

Last edited by temara.brown : 01-28-2010 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Code of Conduct
Old 01-29-2010 at 08:58 AM   #57
SciMania
Elite Member
Program: Biology

Liked: 74 Times
does anyone else still have "being assessed"?
Old 01-29-2010 at 09:00 AM   #58
snaps
Program: Software Engineering

Liked: 32 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciMania View Post
does anyone else still have "being assessed"?
unfortunately yes...

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search