MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to meet new people/make friends. annimal09 General Discussion 5 06-02-2014 07:10 PM
How do shy people make friends? hamsterific General Discussion 26 10-01-2013 07:25 PM
How easy is it to make new friends? Huzefa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 08-11-2011 09:02 PM
Should I get the Macpass or not? is welcome week really fun? make lots of friends?? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-25-2010 11:44 PM
I barely know anyone at Mac... what if I make no friends? :( dobbz123 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 08-22-2008 07:20 PM

What can I do to make friends in university?

Old 09-01-2016 at 04:27 PM   #1
EshwarBabu

Liked: 0 Times

What can I do to make friends in university?
It all started since I was born. Throughout the course of my life, I have never had a single friend, not even an acquaintance. I was(and still am) completely isolated from everyone, but that is because everyone isolated(and still isolates) me.

A life of severe isolation from such a tender age would have made any normal person go mad. Sadly, I am not normal. Somehow, I managed to live my life, while being completely oblivious to my environment.

I turned 17 last month (I got absolutely no birthday wishes again for the 17th time, even family forgot. This is how lonely I feel, just so you know) . I have found many ways to cope with my loneliness. Some of these coping methods include reading and studying. Reading and studying gives me a purpose.

Recently, my counsellor recommended that I join theatre camp for the first two weeks of August. Apparently, She is the only person who is somewhat interested in helping me find a friend or atleast an acquaintance. The camp was a horrible experience. The camp had 19 people and nobody showed interest in me. Everyone else seemed to show interest in each other and were able to converse with each other. I was completely isolated and didn't belong. In fact, I don't seem to belong anywhere as that seems to be the most consistent pattern in my life.

I am going to college in one year. I hope to study neuroscience. But, the only thing I am concerned about is my lack of contacts and my inability to attract friends or even be likeable.

Having read my story this far, what should I do to maximize my chances of being able to find good friends, especially in university? I am going into my final year of high school and I sincerely doubt anything is going to change in HS. I don't understand where I am going wrong. I am clean. I don't talk much anymore(except to myself). If someone asks for help, I try to be polite and help them(doesn't mean he/she is my friend or even my acquaintance, they barely talk to me).
How can a person who has been completely isolated for the majority of his life, find hope in the near future?

I felt the need to share specific experiences(such as the theatre camp) in order to illustrate the severity of my problems. If this post is way too long and hard to read, I am sorry.

I haven't had it easy like the other people from my school( when I say I have not had it easy like other people from my school, I mean to say that my problems are more severe)

Also, please don't tell me I need psychiatric help. I have been to counselling and therapy. None of them helped and I am not willing to go into details as to why. I have had my own share of bad experiences, so I try stay away from them as much as possible.

By the way, sorry for errors, I wrote this in a hurry.
Old 09-01-2016 at 05:52 PM   #2
justicebeaver

Liked: 9 Times

University is quite different from HS. A lot of the crap that occurs in HS is simply gone. People in university are here to learn (at least most of them) and not to kill 8 hours. I can't directly answer your question of how to make friends, but I can say there are many ways to go about it.

Residence (if you do live on campus) or a shared house off campus is one way for sure. You'll be living with the same people for 8 months, , most of them dont know each other so it a fresh start. I didn't live on residence, so I can't go into much more detail.

There is also a welcome week, 1 week prior to start of classes. They have many activities to help introduce you to others and the school.

You'll also be going class with the same people everyday. Chances are you'll find someone you shares something in common with you.

Many clubs and groups that you could join; if two people share an interest in something, it's a good start.

In university you'll start off knowing next to no one and thats the case for most of the people around you, so saying "hi" is worth a shot, you have nothing to lose only something to gain.
Old 09-01-2016 at 06:53 PM   #3
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Just use Tinder.
Old 09-01-2016 at 09:24 PM   #4
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

I got no friends either...and that's how I like it.

I put myself as priority, and live my life how I want to live it. Not worrying about whether I fit in. I've never felt a need to associate myself with others. Hence, I'm not part of any religious or interest groups.

Best of all, I'm in much better financial shape than many others in our pathetic society, and spend every dime on myself...instead of wasting it on other.

/rant
Old 09-02-2016 at 12:50 PM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Hi Eswar

Thanks for sharing your story on MacInsiders.

When I started at university I was also quite a shy person. A lot of my closest friends I did have in highschool ended up going to different universities or colleges outside of the city, so starting at McMaster in my program was a 'fresh start' so-to-speak.

The McMaster community is very diverse and I found a lot more welcoming, I found there to be a lot less 'drama' than highschool typically will have, it's a lot more accepting and friendly.

University has a lot of opportunities for you to get involved and meet friends. I met a LOT of my university friends through things like student clubs and from volunteering for conference events that the student union runs called CLAY and HORIZONS. I highly recommended volunteering for those, it will open you up to meeting a LOT of people who will help bring you out of your shell.

Here is a 7-Part series on MacInsiders that will help you learn about the different ways you can get involved at university to help you meet new friends:

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...ics-17123.html
Old 09-02-2016 at 03:30 PM   #6
takeiteasy

Liked: 0 Times

As long as I drag my ass out of bed do a 3S (shave, shower, and...) , and say a word to Iswar Pooja, commune with fellow brethren, find a divine spark or Kindle, if only I don't get crushed with the pressure of very demanding course load, as long as I have unlimited cellular data plan, have change in my pocket and ,if only I could focus on worthy causes than pudding time and mouse, if only I had a buddy, life can be fun right here or halfway around the world.