MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do shy people make friends? hamsterific General Discussion 26 10-01-2013 07:25 PM
Best club to meet people? Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-12-2012 11:08 AM
How easy is it to make new friends? Huzefa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 08-11-2011 09:02 PM
Should I get the Macpass or not? is welcome week really fun? make lots of friends?? memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-25-2010 11:44 PM
I barely know anyone at Mac... what if I make no friends? :( dobbz123 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 08-22-2008 07:20 PM

How to meet new people/make friends.

Old 06-02-2014 at 12:25 PM   #1
annimal09

Liked: 0 Times

How to meet new people/make friends.
I finished my second year already and I've made very few friends so far. At first I didn't mind but as the time goes by, I start to drift from my high school friends and have been feeling a little depressed recently.

I wouldn't say I'm shy but I am quite introverted. Things like partying or clubbing are too loud/overwhelming for me. I also have a lot of trouble being around too many people at once due to anxiety issues. I prefer small group of close friends rather than a large group of acquaintances.

Anyone has any suggestions on how I can meet more people and make more friends? Any clubs that are suited for me?
Thank you.
Old 06-02-2014 at 01:01 PM   #2
Phoneup

Liked: 43 Times

Sport interests (fan club)? Gaming hobbies? There are some other ones that I can't think of right now.

Other than that, just be yourself - that's the best way. Don't change who you are/how you act like/etc. just so that you would have a better chance of meeting people.

shreebee likes this.
Old 06-02-2014 at 03:05 PM   #3
jaywa
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 9 Times

Take a look through the MSU clubs directory and see if anything seems interesting to you.

https://www.msumcmaster.ca/clubs-directory

Maybe look into clubs/centres/sport leagues/events in Hamilton or nearby as well as ones on campus.

You could also sign up for a class at DBAC. There are dance classes, yoga, martial arts... there's a pretty good variety. You take the same class every week with the same group of people, so you might get to know some of them a bit.

http://www.marauders.ca/sports/2011/3/29/InstructionalCalendar .aspx?path=instclass

You can also try chatting a bit with people in tutorials or labs. Ask them how they find the class, what other courses they're taking, what they thought about a certain class/if they would recommend it, if they're doing anything fun over the weekend, anything really. Or if that seems intimidating in case they don't want to continue a conversation you could just start with something simple like complimenting their outfit or asking what book they're reading. If you have food you could offer them some. Maybe start a study group?

You can also find somewhere to volunteer, or get a part-time job if you don't have one.

If you're studying or just passing time you could try checking out new places instead of staying at home. The main one that comes to mind is the SWELL in the bottom of the student centre by Underground. You can just hang out there, or attend some of the activities they have. But you can also explore campus and Hamilton and see if you notice any other good spaces.

Just generally be open to the idea of chatting with people, even if you don't initiate it. If you smile and make eye contact people will be much more likely to strike up a conversation with you.
Old 06-02-2014 at 05:04 PM   #4
Felixmse

I don't know if clubs will work or solve your problem I a long way. You have to be able to be alone. No one will company with you forever, right? In my opinion, friends don't need to be too many, you only need 3 or 4 to be very close to and that's enough. : )
Old 06-02-2014 at 06:45 PM   #5
barclayyy

I soooo hear what you're saying annimal09, I made like 6 friends at mac the through my 1st degree. Thank God I was making friends through other venues in hamilton and through friends I already had. It totally sucks because I thought I would have made lots of friends but most people seem like they just want to go to their lectures then go home. There's not a lot of options to meet people in class that become friends outside class.
Old 06-02-2014 at 07:10 PM   #6
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Hi Annimal09! First off... you're not alone. A lot of students in university drift away from their high school friends who are in different faculties and meet new friends. I can totally relate to not wanting to go 'clubbing' and meet people that way. But to be honest, that's not how I've ever met any of my good friends... usually you go to clubs with a group of friends, not necessarily to meet new ones.

The best way to meet new friends is to join clubs and extra-curriculars. Volunteer for the many MSU services available that are looking for positions to fill. It truly is the best way to meet friends... and meet GOOD friends. Friends that will last throughout university.

When I was at McMaster I joined as many things as possible that I could handle doing at once. Here are a few of the best ways I met new people:

- Started a club. MacInsiders. Starting your own club on campus is a great way to meet friends as you have to build together a team of staff for your club. It's a lot of fun! I'd recommend starting one in third year.

- Joined the planning team for C.L.A.Y. and HORIZONS leadership conferences. These are two leadership events that are run by the MSU. CLAY is for high school students, HORIZONS is for first-year students coming to Mac. They run over the summer. I'd have to say planning and running these two events was hands down one of the best experiences I had at Mac. The planning teams became really good friends, since you work a lot together and running a big event like CLAY and HORIZONS isn't easy!

- Volunteered to be part of the planning teams for Canada's Next Top Ad Exec, and McMaster World Congress. Two events run at the Degroote School Of Business. Lots of fun, great teams.

- Worked for MSU Campus Events, helping to run the events/concerts on campus, a great team of people that I worked with, and got to know a lot of people within the MSU this way, met friends.

- Worked during the school year and over the summer for University Technology Services monitoring the computer labs (UTS), where I met a lot of friends - some of whom I'm still great friends with today. UTS hires a lot of students to be part of the UTS team during the school year, and you'll meet a lot of people to work together with, especially if you can get hired over the summer. You'd have to be interested in technology for this type of position though and be good with computers.

There's plenty of more ways to get involved on campus, see our whole series of articles here:
http://www.macinsiders.com/forumdisp...220.html?f=220