MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Meet The Candidates - Casey Chad Presidentials 2010 0 02-02-2010 12:11 AM
The rink at oak knoll park HG88 Athletics & Recreation 2 12-17-2009 09:01 PM
Where can I park for just a week? Sintos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 10-06-2009 04:01 PM

Casey Park

Old 01-24-2010 at 05:29 PM   #46
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Dear Casey,

Let us know if you are accepted to med school from your health sci program. If you are not accepted We are more than willing to support you and to give you the votes you need to improve your applications and your resume in the future! I like how your posters are similar to an idea from the past, makes me feel nostalgic!

Love,
student union.

(p.s. help casey by writing "Help get casey into medschool!" or "help casey's resume!" on his posters. I'm sure he will appreciate it.)
Old 01-24-2010 at 05:30 PM   #47
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Regarding the Slander aspect of it I just had a conversation with Mr Park about it and he was concerned with the allegation that he will leave MSU presidency for Med School. I would think that Mr Kunars allegation about that can be constitued minor slander since it is stating it as fact, but I recall perfectly that Mr Kunar did not have the med school point in the facebook wall post on Casey Parks group. I do have a screen shot that can prove that, The Med school thing was only added at the MacInsiders post. But then again my liberal views on critique don't really see it as that major an offence, it is a valid speculation based on the potential earnings and rational economic value people place on going into medical school and how deferring that for presidency would change it.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

McIntyre says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.
Old 01-24-2010 at 05:36 PM   #48
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post

either way you'd have to be extremely stupid to vote for Casey. Come on, he was just nearly recalled from the SRA! It is way too obvious
To be fair, the recall motion was brought forward, but changed so I don't know if we could say "nearly", although I do believe he should have been - I do respect the SRAs decision.

I find it almost entertaining that you bring this point up Andrew since you tend to not be a fan of the SRA, makes me think you would almost like someone that the SRA wanted to recall on that principle. Learn new things every day!

andrew22 likes this.
Old 01-24-2010 at 05:46 PM   #49
McMaxwell

Liked: 19 Times

Take notes.

james2255 says thanks to McMaxwell for this post.

james2255, McIntyre like this.
Old 01-24-2010 at 05:47 PM   #50
bluser

Liked: 6 Times

Personally, I was shocked when I saw that Mr. Kunars' posts were deleted from the facebook group because I was very curious as to how Mr. Park would reply to those posts. However, I did not get a chance to read a proper reply except for the one in this thread where Mr. Park uses the argument of slander to avoid a real answer.

For someone who claims to hold the opinions of students near and dear to his heart; Repressing what was for the most part a valid question and point is hardly the way to go about doing this. That sort of behavior might be acceptable in an authoritative regime but certainly not in any democratic process which is what I assume is what this whole "elections business" is all about.

I was seriously considering voting for Mr. Park, however, I do NOT want a president who picks and choosing the questions he wants to answer and the issues he wants to tackle.

However, if he does happen to win the presidency, let's just hope that Mac doesn't have anything equivalent to prorogation.
Old 01-24-2010 at 05:50 PM   #51
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMaxwell View Post

More relevant and fun:

ladyh likes this.
Old 01-24-2010 at 06:05 PM   #52
casey.park
SRA Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluser View Post
Personally, I was shocked when I saw that Mr. Kunars' posts were deleted from the facebook group because I was very curious as to how Mr. Park would reply to those posts. However, I did not get a chance to read a proper reply except for the one in this thread where Mr. Park uses the argument of slander to avoid a real answer.

For someone who claims to hold the opinions of students near and dear to his heart; Repressing what was for the most part a valid question and point is hardly the way to go about doing this. That sort of behavior might be acceptable in an authoritative regime but certainly not in any democratic process which is what I assume is what this whole "elections business" is all about.

I was seriously considering voting for Mr. Park, however, I do NOT want a president who picks and choosing the questions he wants to answer and the issues he wants to tackle.

However, if he does happen to win the presidency, let's just hope that Mac doesn't have anything equivalent to prorogation.
Hey Bluser,

Many of the comments removed off the main page were moved to a discussion thread so actual discussion could take place there.

Furthermore, I did in fact respond to the failed recall motion in response to a Facebook user named Jeff Bontis (who actually created/deleted his account in the same day). Finally, the notions that I want this position merely to get into medical school and that I will pick medical school over the Presidency are absurd. I applied to medical school at a point in my life where I did not want to run for the MSU Presidency. However, after numerous conversations with various people involved in the MSU and outside the MSU I decided to run in October after I applied.

The fact that Jared believed that I would simply ditch the MSU if I win the election and matriculate into medical school is a baseless allegation, and in fact, is slander.

Thanks for the question!
Old 01-24-2010 at 06:13 PM   #53
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey.park View Post
However, after numerous conversations with various people involved in the MSU and outside the MSU I decided to run in October after I applied.
you told me last year that you were going to do this. just keeping it real.

andrew22, florencem., huzaifa47, Nosh, Phoenix all say thanks to temara.brown for this post.

Old 01-24-2010 at 06:35 PM   #54
bluser

Quote:
Hey Bluser,

Many of the comments removed off the main page were moved to a discussion thread so actual discussion could take place there.

Thanks for the question!
Hilarious.

I really hope you don't think that people will fall for that? First off, the comments made by Mr. Kunar were deleted; not "moved" as you so casually stated. Secondly, it's quite clear to anyone with an IQ over 50 that the comments were moved to a discussion thread so that they would not be seen by the majority of people casually browsing through the group. So this notion of "moving" comments for the sake of promoting "actual" discussion is absurd and is frankly quite insulting to the intelligence of the macinsiders community.
Old 01-24-2010 at 06:35 PM   #55
bluser

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
LOL

Does anyone else smell smoke?

florencem. likes this.
Old 01-24-2010 at 06:41 PM   #56
casey.park
SRA Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
There's a difference between musing and actually deciding to run, Temara.
Old 01-24-2010 at 06:43 PM   #57
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

sure sure.

I'm know I'm not the only person who was aware of your amibitions. In fact, I am sure there are people within the MSU who you asked to be on your campaign team last year.

Last edited by temara.brown : 01-24-2010 at 06:48 PM.

florencem., Phoenix like this.
Old 01-24-2010 at 07:00 PM   #58
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Quote:
This group is for supporters of Casey Park and students who generally want to find about my platform points and direction I want to take the MSU.

It is also to facilitate discussion and to address concerns and criticism. Let me reiterate that point; criticism, NOT slander.

If a student has criticism or concerns based on facts and word them in a constructive matter, I will personally respond to each on this Facebook group and thus far have not deleted any posts of this nature both on this group and on my Facebook wall.

However, as you can probably agree, slander is inappropriate and I will not stand for this.
Hi all,

I'm not sure what transpired on the Facebook group, but I can assure you that the threads on MacInsiders under "Presidentials 2010" are not controlled by the candidates (they do not have the power to remove posts by themselves) and the only way posts, questions, or responses can be removed is via our regular "Reporting" tool. MacInsiders remains impartial and fair, only moderating posts which are in direct violation of our Code Of Conduct.

Hopefully this creates a fair and open discussion environment for everyone, candidates and students alike.

Thanks.

florencem., McIntyre, micadjems, temara.brown, ytpos all say thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 01-24-2010 at 07:54 PM   #59
jmgk

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgk View Post

You have also admitted to leaving the position as Faculty Wide Welcome Week Planner two weeks before the position finished to focus on your role as House Leader. It has come to my attention that you have applied to medical schools (as many do in the Health Sciences faculty) how can the voting public be convinced that you will not leave your position (if elected President) to attend medical school? Surely becoming a doctor must be a very near and dear aspiration for you and could trump the position of being President. This type of action could seriously injure the MSU as a whole and can we take that risk?
Quote:

The fact that Jared believed that I would simply ditch the MSU if I win the election and matriculate into medical school is a baseless allegation, and in fact, is slander.
Please check your definition of slander. Iin this instance the word you are looking for is libel. In any case neither definition would apply to this case. If you read the example of your actions first then I wonder if you you would repeat these actions. Notice in the quote that I say you could leave and go to medical school and not that you will.

The easy way to answer this question is to say this:
"I left my position during welcome week to work on the house leader position because x and y needed to be accomplished before a certain date. I did not feel that I could do both jobs so I had to make a decision. I feel that the role of house leader would have been more important than the role as welcome week planner. I personally love the MSU and would never attempt to damage or hurt them in anyway. It was unfortunate that I had to make this decision but I realized that the house leader duties were clearly more important (expand and explain using details)."

Basically if you want to continue to accuse me of libel (or slander?) then please feel free to call legal action, but I guarantee that you have no case because I did not accuse you of trying to leave for medical school I just suggested it could be an option for you, and still is an option whether you choose it or not.

bluser, McIntyre like this.
Old 01-24-2010 at 08:06 PM   #60
brendanp

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgk View Post
Please check your definition of slander. Iin this instance the word you are looking for is libel. In any case neither definition would apply to this case. If you read the example of your actions first then I wonder if you you would repeat these actions. Notice in the quote that I say you could leave and go to medical school and not that you will.
defamation covers any communication that tends to lower the esteem of the subject in the minds of ordinary members of the public. Admittedly, that definition is from wikipedia, but it seems accurate. For example, if you said he COULD go on a killing spree if elected MSU president,not will, i think that would still be defamation. Its an extreme example, but I think the principle still applies.