MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Meet The Candidates - Casey Chad Presidentials 2010 0 02-02-2010 12:11 AM
The rink at oak knoll park HG88 Athletics & Recreation 2 12-17-2009 09:01 PM
Where can I park for just a week? Sintos First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 10-06-2009 04:01 PM

Casey Park

Old 01-24-2010 at 08:09 PM   #61
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Okay, so I didn't want to post anything here or get involved in these presidential shenanigans whatsoever. I'm not a student at Mac this year, although I may choose to return for degree #2 in the future. Either way, I got a few tastes of sweet sweet karma and I realized that I liked it too much to stop there.

I posted recommendations to Mary and Aaron for my previous work relationships with them but I never gave one for Casey despite having shared the roles of welcome week planner, SRA, and EB representative and have caught a few glimpses of him at work as the faculty-wide. Why? Because almost everything I would say about his professional character would have been bad.

From the moment we started work as welcome week planners, my co-planners and I noted how disruptive the health sci planner (Casey) was during the meeting. Since then, I developed a character profile of him with the key qualities being arrogance and obnoxiousness. The ultimate example of this would have been the training day for the science representatives of 2009, which Casey was to host. The welcome week training and structure was completely revamped and his position was brand new. With so much responsibility on his shoulders, he had treated the training like an extreme joke. Although, I agree to some extent that some bits of the training are a little ridiculous, some of it is very important and needed to be covered especially since 75% of the reps that year were brand new to the whole schbackle. In addition to being extremely rude to the situation, he had insulted our faculty's previous work and planning, which was completely inappropriate.

I had brought these concerns about his professionalism to the SRA's attention during his election to house leader position and he still was elected despite it all. I implore you, McMaster students, to look beyond the silly songs and excessively posterized graphics and make a wise decision.

As for my impartiality when editing, I assure you that it's there. If you still have doubts (and I wouldn't blame you after this post of mine), you can be assured that every report and moderation taken is checked by all executives.

andrew22, Nosh all say thanks to temara.brown for this post.

Old 01-24-2010 at 08:25 PM   #62
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
Okay, so I didn't want to post anything here or get involved in these presidential shenanigans whatsoever. I'm not a student at Mac this year, although I may choose to return for degree #2 in the future. Either way, I got a few tastes of sweet sweet karma and I realized that I liked it too much to stop there.

I posted recommendations to Mary and Aaron for my previous work relationships with them but I never gave one for Casey despite having shared the roles of welcome week planner, SRA, and EB representative and have caught a few glimpses of him at work as the faculty-wide. Why? Because almost everything I would say about his professional character would have been bad.

From the moment we started work as welcome week planners, my co-planners and I noted how disruptive the health sci planner (Casey) was during the meeting. Since then, I developed a character profile of him with the key qualities being arrogance and obnoxiousness. The ultimate example of this would have been the training day for the science representatives of 2009, which Casey was to host. The welcome week training and structure was completely revamped and his position was brand new. With so much responsibility on his shoulders, he had treated the training like an extreme joke. Although, I agree to some extent that some bits of the training are a little ridiculous, some of it is very important and needed to be covered especially since 75% of the reps that year were brand new to the whole schbackle. In addition to being extremely rude to the situation, he had insulted our faculty's previous work and planning, which was completely inappropriate.

I had brought these concerns about his professionalism to the SRA's attention during his election to house leader position and he still was elected despite it all. I implore you, McMaster students, to look beyond the silly songs and excessively posterized graphics and make a wise decision.

As for my impartiality when editing, I assure you that it's there. If you still have doubts (and I wouldn't blame you after this post of mine), you can be assured that every report and moderation taken is checked by all executives.
I think lot of people will vote for him because he is silly and sings. That is biggest issue I have because people will get lost in his funny personality and forget to actually consider what he plans to do, or who he is. I hope students look past this show he is putting on and really consider someone else for president.

Nosh says thanks to jo87 for this post.

VelvetFists likes this.
Old 01-24-2010 at 11:19 PM   #63
bhunter

Liked: 1 Time

I witnessed Casey at work at the last Horizons Conference in August 2009. He was a leadership developer (LD), or a leader of one of the group of delegates made up of incoming first years.

He was one of the more "popular" LD's, being quite the boisterous (bordering on obnoxious) character. As a conference delegate, I heard from a couple of people that they wish they had him as a leader because he seemed so much fun. Sounds good right?

Here's the kicker:
At the end of the conference, music was blasted outside Hedden Hall as delegates were picked up by parents and were leaving. I guess it was just to keep things light and fun - nothing wrong with some Top 40 music. However, I noticed that at one point, the music being played was absolutely filled with foul and inappropriate language (Casey was in control of music at that point). Now, I swear like a sailor and this usually isn't a big deal, but let's be real - when parents are picking up their children at a conference geared towards students who are keen/apprehensive about first year (i.e. keeners), those parents DO NOT want to get the worst impression of the types of leaders their kids were exposed to during that weekend.

OK, we're all adults and NOT children anymore, but let's say I'm a parent of a delegate. I'm fairly new to the country and I haven't been exposed to the North American lifestyle and I take offense to that kind of music. I am already so apprehensive about having my child live in residence because of all the bad things about partying and vices that I've heard about, but I'm giving it a chance. Upon picking up my child I hear this music - was my child just exposed to a weekend of crass language and inappropriate behaviour? It's an extreme situation, but it is definitely possible.

Am I saying that a candidate's music preference dictates his/her ability to lead? Certainly not. But, at the end of the day, the context in which this music was played sheds some light on the lack of judgment by the person controlling the music.

The MSU needs a leader who is mature and can handle him/herself in a professional manner at all times. Sure, you can have your fun, but at the end of the day you will be the FACE of this union, and even the slightest show of immaturity could seriously undermine the gravity of some of the issues that the MSU lobbies for.

Puppies45 likes this.
Old 01-24-2010 at 11:26 PM   #64
Puppies45

Liked: 0 Times

I'm pretty sure the same thing happened during mac pass distribution.
Old 01-24-2010 at 11:34 PM   #65
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

What happened at the MacPass tent?

shiningstara likes this.
Old 01-25-2010 at 10:42 AM   #66
McMaxwell

Liked: 19 Times

Three words: Engineering Demotivation Speaker. I hate the way certain groups conduct themselves as well but unfortunately it's the reality and not the exception to the rule.
Old 01-25-2010 at 11:44 AM   #67
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMaxwell View Post
Three words: Engineering Demotivation Speaker. I hate the way certain groups conduct themselves as well but unfortunately it's the reality and not the exception to the rule.
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean... are you referring to the "demotivational speaker" on Eng faculty day (that is extremely hilarious and obviously a joke)?

I just don't see how that's related to this... I hope you mean something else - please clarify!
Old 01-25-2010 at 03:33 PM   #68
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

Casey Park will fix ELM. because of his lobbying experience? is this possible at all?

so if Vishal was good at lobbying, ELM would be sweet right now?

The first year class I was in, everyone was eating Casey's shit. guess we'll see how stupid the school is.
Old 01-25-2010 at 03:36 PM   #69
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
Casey Park will fix ELM. because of his lobbying experience? is this possible at all?

so if Vishal was good at lobbying, ELM would be sweet right now?

The first year class I was in, everyone was eating Casey's shit. guess we'll see how stupid the school is.
Question: Did Casey say in the aforementioned first year class that he will Fix ELM?

If so, very interesting...

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 01-25-2010 at 03:43 PM   #70
andrew22
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Question: Did Casey say in the aforementioned first year class that he will Fix ELM?

If so, very interesting...

yes he did. pandering much. honestly it is what I'd say if I had to say a lie I know they'd like.
Old 01-25-2010 at 03:45 PM   #71
casey.park
SRA Member

Liked: 27 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
yes he did. pandering much. honestly it is what I'd say if I had to say a lie I know they'd like.
The response is being written on Facebook. <3 you!
Old 01-25-2010 at 04:18 PM   #72
jmgk

Liked: 18 Times

Casey you often use sarcasm and patronization in order to respond individuals for criticizing your campaign if elected how will you respond to criticisms of others that are working with you in the MSU? What will happen if the McMaster administration criticizes your lobbying techniques? Can you deal with them in a professional manner or will it result in child like responses?

I believe it would be best to conduct yourself in a professional fashion as on occasion your attitudes and sentiments could slip at an inappropriate time which could be costly. Have you or will you work on changing your attitude towards answering criticism? One could argue that you do this on your facebook page and that you do not consider what you post on Mac Insiders as relevant or important.

Also what sort of tactics will you use to lobby for changing ELM? What is the current problem with ELM other than the obvious? I am looking for the underlying problem which you feel you can lobby against.

Also maybe someone would like to see how Casey responds to questions on Mac Insiders and would like to post a link to this thread on his facebook campaign group?

InMeteor, McIntyre like this.
Old 01-25-2010 at 05:48 PM   #73
andrew22
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey.park View Post
The response is being written on Facebook. <3 you!

response sucked. c'mon don't lie to first years! it isn't fair to the other candidates : (

huzaifa47 says thanks to andrew22 for this post.
Old 01-25-2010 at 05:59 PM   #74
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

To everyone: Please keep questions clear and concise so the candidate can answer them. Also try and keep discussion constructive, offering solutions where possible. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2010 at 06:17 PM   #75
Matt Wright

Liked: 49 Times

Thanks Chad
Can I just ask some professional courtesy of everyone to keep their personal attacks to a minimum. There are plenty of people who have had bad experiences with everyone, but it's of much more benefit to take the high road and focus on answering campaign questions.

Everyone just grow up. Say some of the things you want to say in person instead of being two-faced or hiding behind a computer.