MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some advide on choosing, please. MirandaC First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 03-13-2011 08:01 PM
Choosing a Non-Top 4 Second Year Major xo.monica Academics 2 06-09-2010 01:21 PM
Choosing Electives anthony First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 06-01-2010 11:18 AM
Reasons for choosing Mac Connor_92 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 34 04-07-2010 09:00 PM
Need Help Choosing Courses ThatGuy Academics 3 06-22-2009 11:15 PM

Choosing My Major

Old 03-13-2011 at 06:41 PM   #1
R.R.B

Liked: 0 Times

Choosing My Major
I am level I Social Science Student planning to go into Poli Sci. next year. I noticed that there are two poli sci degree options; B.A. Political Science & B.A. Honours Political Science. Other than the fact that one is a 4 year program and one is just 3, I'm really trying to figure out what the real difference between the two are. Any info is appreciated.
Old 03-13-2011 at 06:46 PM   #2
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

You can't pursue graduate studies if you aren't in an Honours program. However, if you decided to do a BA and then realized you'd like to do graduate studies, you could always switch into an Honours BA program.

Generally, I think the difference (other than the obvious difference that a BA student takes less courses than an Honours BA student) is just that most people do an Honours degree, so if you took a regular BA you'd be competing with Honours students when applying for jobs. In addition, your marks can be much lower to get into level 2 BA programs than an Honours BA program (6.0 to get into Honours when I applied, although I hear it's a 5.0 now, versus a 3.5 to get into the regular program).

Last edited by alh24 : 03-13-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-13-2011 at 08:20 PM   #3
R.R.B

Liked: 0 Times

So, Would that would mean that I wouldn't be able to take the B.A. Political Science and go on to Law School?
Old 03-13-2011 at 08:24 PM   #4
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Student Success Centre has a workshop on choosing a major, you can check on OSCAR for any upcoming dates.
Old 03-13-2011 at 08:29 PM   #5
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R.B View Post
So, Would that would mean that I wouldn't be able to take the B.A. Political Science and go on to Law School?
You'd have to check requirements for those schools. I know you can't pursue a Master's or PhD without an Honours degree, but I'm not sure about professional schools.