MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
choosing electives luna Academics 1 06-30-2010 06:15 PM
Choosing Electives anthony First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 06-01-2010 11:18 AM
Reasons for choosing Mac Connor_92 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 34 04-07-2010 09:00 PM
Choosing residence? kirsten..! Residence & Housing 2 02-21-2010 03:22 PM
Need Help Choosing Courses ThatGuy Academics 3 06-22-2009 11:15 PM

Some advide on choosing, please.

Old 03-09-2011 at 11:22 PM   #1
MirandaC

Liked: 41 Times

Some advide on choosing, please.
Hello, I have applied to McMaster's health sci and life sci programs for next year. I have already been accepted to life sci and realize that the chances of me getting into health sci are very slim. The problem is that was my first choice while life sci and Queen's general sci (life sci in year 2) were both my second choice.

I would like to know if there is anything McMaster offers that Queen's does notso there are more factors for me to consider while I choose. It could be anything, good or bad, just please be honest.

Thank you!
Old 03-10-2011 at 12:05 AM   #2
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

I googled QueensInsiders and came up with nothing. Need I say more?

Old 03-10-2011 at 12:14 AM   #3
MirandaC

That is actually a pretty good point. McMaster has been much more helpful than Queen's.
Old 03-10-2011 at 12:36 AM   #4
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

i dont know about queens... but at mac there are ALOT of life sci students so u kind of jus blend in with hundreds of other students.. in first year.... but in upper years (if u choose your courses right) u have the option of being admitted into neat/smaller specializations
Old 03-10-2011 at 01:11 AM   #5
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Have you toured both campuses?
Old 03-10-2011 at 01:36 AM   #6
MirandaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Have you toured both campuses?
I have been to Queen's but not Mac. I plan on touring Mac in the future. The problem is the person who gave me a tour of Queen's is a friend of mine who goes there. She did not know that much about the campus because she started there this year.
Old 03-10-2011 at 01:42 AM   #7
MirandaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
i dont know about queens... but at mac there are ALOT of life sci students so u kind of jus blend in with hundreds of other students.. in first year.... but in upper years (if u choose your courses right) u have the option of being admitted into neat/smaller specializations
If I went to Queen's I would be in a general science program for first year. That program admits 800 students so I would be in a sea of people anyway.
Old 03-13-2011 at 05:20 PM   #8
Athena

Liked: 0 Times

I can only speak from my experience being a life sci student at Mac, and I think the program is great. Honestly, you can get as little or as much out of the program as you want. You can be a single individual in a huge sea, like someone else mentioned, or you can take advantage of a lot of the great opportunities mac offers for all of their students, not just those in life sci. Life sci is great in that you can take very general courses or you can take very specific courses (and possibly have these count towards a minor like I did) if thats what you are interested in. Often, students in first year or second year aren't really sure what they are really interested in anyways, besides the general "life sciences" so I find the program is great for that reason alone - if you want to stay with the general stream and take the designated "life science" courses (which are new this year) you can do that, if you would rather focus on biology, chemistry, physics, psych, kin, etc. you can do that also, it just depends on how you want to spend your time here at mac.
Athena

MirandaC says thanks to Athena for this post.
Old 03-13-2011 at 06:31 PM   #9
MirandaC

That was helpful, thanks!
Old 03-13-2011 at 07:24 PM   #10
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

You should be warned that you will get a biased opinion here since the majority of us haven't studied at Queens.

But McMaster is known for its science programs, while every time Queens is mentioned...
I always hear people say: "that's only for rich white kids" <-- highlight here for some racism
Old 03-13-2011 at 07:49 PM   #11
MirandaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikantsepll View Post
You should be warned that you will get a biased opinion here since the majority of us haven't studied at Queens.

But McMaster is known for its science programs, while every time Queens is mentioned...
I always hear people say: "that's only for rich white kids" <-- highlight here for some racism
Haha, don't worry about it. I knew I would be getting a biased opinion. I wanted people to tell me what they liked and what the school could offer.
I noticed whilst creeping other forums that ever time someone asked Queen's vs. Mac the Queen's people all went "QUEEEEEEEN'S IS BETTER!! WOOOT QUEEN'S!!" without any reasons. Mac people gave actual reasons. I already knew a lot about Queen's from my friends though so I thought I would ask on here.
What you said in the highlighted part, totally true. I live in a predominantly white town with a lot of wealthy people and I swear Queen's is the first choice for everyone, no questions asked. I'm white but not rich so I did my research.

ikantsepll likes this.
Old 03-13-2011 at 07:54 PM   #12
doug

Liked: 82 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnerd View Post
Haha, don't worry about it. I knew I would be getting a biased opinion. I wanted people to tell me what they liked and what the school could offer.
I noticed whilst creeping other forums that ever time someone asked Queen's vs. Mac the Queen's people all went "QUEEEEEEEN'S IS BETTER!! WOOOT QUEEN'S!!" without any reasons. Mac people gave actual reasons. I already knew a lot about Queen's from my friends though so I thought I would ask on here.
What you said in the highlighted part, totally true. I live in a predominantly white town with a lot of wealthy people and I swear Queen's is the first choice for everyone, no questions asked. I'm white but not rich so I did my research.
So true. I went through the same thing in my town.

Huuuuuuuuuuuge difference at this school, racially speaking. But it's in a good way
Old 03-13-2011 at 08:01 PM   #13
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

I can't really say much about Queens, but Mac's science program has a huge number of options.

For example If you can pull solid marks in first year chem and decide to major in it you're basically guaranteed to do some paid research in a lab during the summer after first year, you'll get a paid TA position, you have the option for a lucrative Co-Op position that is nearly guaranteed to land you a solid job after undergrad, and you'll know most of the faculty well enough to get amazing reference letters. If you decide to go into Psychology on the other hand, it gives you the option to do research courses in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year, the option to go for a competitive paid TA position, and there's a course that places you with external psychologists doing hands-on work, all of which will also lead to awesome reference letters.

I can't speak about LifeSci specifically, but Mac's Science faculty in general has some absolutely awesome opportunities.

MirandaC says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.
Old 03-14-2011 at 01:16 AM   #14
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnerd View Post
Personally, if that is true about white rich kids, I would pick Queens. Easier to network (parents of friends are in higher paid salary meaning more power) and perhaps find a nice position for co-op and the future.

Knowing rich people is always nice especially when you are not.