MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
Cell Phone Plan? Sultan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 08-16-2009 04:45 PM
Choosing A Meal Plan Chad Food & Meal Plans 11 08-20-2008 08:27 PM
Cell Phone Help Kevin Computers & Tech 7 08-30-2007 12:29 PM

Choosing the Right Cell Phone Plan: Some Things to Consider

Old 07-23-2009 at 11:40 AM   #16
mumbojumbo

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevennevets View Post
do rogers or fido offer any kind of student discount? or student plans?

also, does mcmaster do anything related to student specials on cell phones? i've heard some universities do...
I think Rogers has one.

Check this out:
http://your.rogers.com/store/wireles...us_calling.asp
Old 07-23-2009 at 12:58 PM   #17
Moo!io

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
do rogers or fido offer any kind of student discount? or student plans?

also, does mcmaster do anything related to student specials on cell phones? i've heard some universities do...
I've heard from a TBooth rep that Fido doesn't, but it might do to check out Rogers. The only drawback is hefty system access fees each month. :/

@mumbojumbo: You might want to check the fine print at the bottom of the Rogers deal.
It says "offer available until Oct. 31 2006" lol
Looks pretty decent though...good find!

{ don't stop the music }

Last edited by Moo!io : 07-23-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-23-2009 at 01:26 PM   #18
stevennevets

Liked: 37 Times

i was just talking to a rogers rep, McMaster also qualifies for their special Employee Pricing Plan.

If you call them up, and tell them you go to Mac, for 17.50/mth you can get 200 minutes and unlimited evenings and weekends. Not a bad deal, but you still need to add their extra fees. And probably also texting if you want that.
Old 07-23-2009 at 01:33 PM   #19
Moo!io

Quote:
i was just talking to a rogers rep, McMaster also qualifies for their special Employee Pricing Plan.

If you call them up, and tell them you go to Mac, for 17.50/mth you can get 200 minutes and unlimited evenings and weekends. Not a bad deal, but you still need to add their extra fees. And probably also texting if you want that.
That's a really good deal Steven...you normally can't get 200 mins and unlimited e/w for under $20. But yes, there is also the fees to consider, especially if you add in texting and things like call display or voicemail >.<

{ don't stop the music }
Old 07-23-2009 at 01:36 PM   #20
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

I've found that no matter what plan you get, after adding all the features to make your phone useful, you're inevitably going to end up paying upwards of $40 :/
Old 07-23-2009 at 01:43 PM   #21
Moo!io

*sigh*
Those are evils of the Canadian cellular industry for you. Y'know, for all the system access and other crappy, unnecessary fees people cough up to the cell carriers, they should just get voicemail and call display for free. It's only fair, no?

{ don't stop the music }
Old 07-23-2009 at 02:06 PM   #22
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Yeah I wish voicemail and call display were at least included. Those are two things we don't have that we would like to have but don't want to shell out another 15$ a month for those features. If we had those we could dump our home phone and just pay a bit more to add a long distance plan to one of our cell phones. The only people who call our home phone are god damned telemarketers.
Old 07-23-2009 at 02:12 PM   #23
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
If we had those we could dump our home phone and just pay a bit more to add a long distance plan to one of our cell phones. The only people who call our home phone are god damned telemarketers.
My parents are thinking of getting rid of our home phone too. It's true; no one aside from telemarketers... and my brother's retard friends who don't understand the concept of calling his cell phone or using email seem to call.

Speaking of telemarketers, I've found lately that they're becoming more deceptive in their tactics. Now when they call they're all like "Hey man, how ya doing? That's cool, is [person by first name] home?" rather than the normal "Good afternoon sir or madame, is this the owner of the home or business?".

I wish telemarketers would at least try to sell things that people actually wanted.

The thing that used to really piss me off was before puberty when I was around 8 or 9 and I would say that he or she (my parents) weren't home and they'd say, "Thank you miss, we'll call back later".

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 07-23-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2009 at 02:15 PM   #24
Moo!io

You get them for free when you go on prepaid like I am, but the drawback to prepaid is that you usually can't get more minutes than your top-up card pays for unless you're on some kind of monthly plan you pay for with top-up cards.

On the note of telemarketers, I get those stupid calls on my cell as well as my landline, but I either don't answer or just let it go to voice. The worst thing is when the machine that's calling doesn't leave a message but you get notified of a new message. >:(

I honestly think that the amount of calls actually increased with the implementation of the do not call list last winter.

{ don't stop the music }
Old 07-23-2009 at 02:17 PM   #25
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Yeah I wish voicemail and call display were at least included. Those are two things we don't have that we would like to have but don't want to shell out another 15$ a month for those features. If we had those we could dump our home phone and just pay a bit more to add a long distance plan to one of our cell phones. The only people who call our home phone are god damned telemarketers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
My parents are thinking of getting rid of our home phone. It's true; no one aside from telemarketers and my brother's retard friends who don't understand the concept of calling his cell phone or email seem to call.

Speaking of telemarketers, I've found lately that they're becoming more deceptive in their tactics. Now when they call they're all like "Hey man, how ya doing? That's cool, is [person by first name] home?" rather than the normal "Good afternoon sir or madame, is this the owner of the home or business?".

I wish telemarketers would at least try to sell things that people actually wanted.
I personally don't use my voicemail, it's there but I don't check it. Most people have cellphones and they can just text me if I don't pick up.

As for telemarketers, you can add yourself to the no-call list. The name is deceiving, but it basically puts you on a list that telemarketers can't call unless they subscribe to the list. That means it's free for you since the service is paid by the telemarketing companies.

Sure it doesn't completely get rid of the telemarketers, but it will reduce A LOT of them, especially the stupid ones.
Old 07-23-2009 at 02:23 PM   #26
Moo!io

Do any of you ever get mechanized calls from the Capital One people? Those always piss me off cause they call at the worst times. Like when I'm still asleep and not looking to wake up yet, or when I'm about to eat dinner.

The most annoying thing? Nobody in the house even has a Capital One card.

{ don't stop the music }
Old 07-23-2009 at 02:43 PM   #27
stevennevets

Liked: 37 Times

yeah... all i really want to do is not have to pay the rogers SAF. it's a big rip-off, when i subscribe to a $30 plan, i want to only pay that + tax.
Old 07-23-2009 at 03:18 PM   #28
Moo!io

I really wish the government would step in and regulate the charging of SAF and the like. The prices people currently pay are ridiculous. Like if you get a $30 plan, add on the activation, e-911 and SAF and your first bill could be well over $70.
D:

{ don't stop the music }
Old 07-23-2009 at 03:25 PM   #29
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo!io View Post
I really wish the government would step in and regulate the charging of SAF and the like. The prices people currently pay are ridiculous. Like if you get a $30 plan, add on the activation, e-911 and SAF and your first bill could be well over $70.
D:
I'm pretty sure Bell and Rogers are as big if not bigger than the government in a lot of ways. The fact of the matter is, Canadians are way too willing to get screwed over.

People complain a lot about Americans, but when it comes to bitching to the government / businesses - they excel at not being taken advantage of.
Old 07-23-2009 at 06:27 PM   #30
caroline54

Liked: 10 Times

I'm with Fido and I like the plan that I have. For 25/month + tax (and no system access fee!) I get 100 minutes, unlimited evenings and weekends, and unlimited text messages. The only thing is that I dont have caller ID but oh well. And I only ended up paying 25 for my phone because I signed a 2 year contract. So I'm pretty happy