MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet, Home phone, tv and cell phone bill **jewel 03** General Discussion 15 10-15-2009 07:29 PM
Cell Phone Plan? Sultan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 08-16-2009 04:45 PM
Choosing A Meal Plan Chad Food & Meal Plans 11 08-20-2008 08:27 PM
Cell Phone Help Kevin Computers & Tech 7 08-30-2007 12:29 PM

Choosing the Right Cell Phone Plan: Some Things to Consider

Old 07-25-2009 at 06:44 PM   #46
Moo!io

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12
Naturally.

I get a lot of free coupons from companies with phrases like that. This is off topic but a good tip for saving money on food items, complain about them. I really only do this if I actually had an issue, even if it's a minor one but it's nice to get free stuff. Recently I complained about the unsatisfactory amount of marshmallows in my Lucky Charms and recieved coupons for 2 free boxes of any General Mills cereal (including Jumbo/Family size boxes which are pricey) and $1 off any General Mills products (and their brand encompasses a lot of products). Good way to save money for cash strapped University students.
Wow, this is a tip I haven't yet seen on RedFlag Deals! Good one!

@Annie:
Funny you should mention that lol
I've been reading that thread for a while now and some of the things those people can get through retentions adds up to a very sweet plan. Like getting free caller ID/voicemail AND getting the SAF waived.

{ don't stop the music }
Old 07-25-2009 at 11:09 PM   #47
meerf

Liked: 7 Times

damn the wireless monopoly here in canada! (koodoooo) has some aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eesome cell phone plans comming up in the summer btw. def keep ur eyes open for htem.
Old 08-24-2009 at 01:48 AM   #48
quresmu

Liked: 0 Times

hey... umm... i had a really stupid question =P

im also commuting from mississauga to mac .... so if i am calling one of my friend (who stays in res) from lets say thodes library (in mac) ... i dont get charged for long distance do i :S ... and same for sauga-sauga .... sry i know it sounds like a very stupuid question but this is my first cellie and i have no info on how these contracts and cell phones work n all =P

Thnx!!!
Old 08-24-2009 at 02:12 AM   #49
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by habshi.halwa View Post
hey... umm... i had a really stupid question =P

im also commuting from mississauga to mac .... so if i am calling one of my friend (who stays in res) from lets say thodes library (in mac) ... i dont get charged for long distance do i :S ... and same for sauga-sauga .... sry i know it sounds like a very stupuid question but this is my first cellie and i have no info on how these contracts and cell phones work n all =P

Thnx!!!
If you have a Sauga number and your friend has a Hami number:

You are in Hami:
You pick up your phone = longd for you
You call your friend = local for you

You are in Sauga:
You pick up your phone = local for you
You call your friend = longd for you
Old 08-24-2009 at 02:36 AM   #50
mudathto

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline54 View Post
I'm with Fido and I like the plan that I have. For 25/month + tax (and no system access fee!) I get 100 minutes, unlimited evenings and weekends, and unlimited text messages. The only thing is that I dont have caller ID but oh well. And I only ended up paying 25 for my phone because I signed a 2 year contract. So I'm pretty happy
Got the same plan + unlimited incoming calls so I'm at $35 a month.
Old 08-26-2009 at 08:18 AM   #51
niteskie
Elite Member

Liked: 45 Times

Is anyone on any of the plans that are offered through our school?
http://telecom.mcmaster.ca/mobileservices.cfm

Also does everyone who moves to mac get a hamilton number?
Old 08-26-2009 at 12:16 PM   #52
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteskie View Post
Is anyone on any of the plans that are offered through our school?
http://telecom.mcmaster.ca/mobileservices.cfm

Also does everyone who moves to mac get a hamilton number?
The Bell one expire June 30, 2009.

The Rogers one has the same plan as the normal student plan they offer.
Old 08-26-2009 at 01:29 PM   #53
Juicebox

Liked: 179 Times

Heh, the US pays the most for their cellphone plans, compared to the rest of the world, but we pay even more.

Try stumbling through downdown TO and walk into a smaller mobile outlet of a big company like Telus or Bell or whatnot. Their sales reps would love to sign you up.

I got 150 minutes + unlimited weekends + unlimited evenings after 6pm + per second billing + unlimited text messaging + caller ID + voicemail + no system access fees all for $22 a month. Never over $25 including tax. Could have added unlimited browsing for $7 more.

There are decent plans out there, but don't expect to get them without some research.

EDIT: Forgot free incoming calls, thats a biggie

Last edited by Juicebox : 08-26-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-26-2009 at 01:38 PM   #54
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebox View Post
Heh, the US pays the most for their cellphone plans, compared to the rest of the world, but we pay even more.

Try stumbling through downdown TO and walk into a smaller mobile outlet of a big company like Telus or Bell or whatnot. Their sales reps would love to sign you up.

I got 150 minutes + unlimited weekends + unlimited evenings after 6pm + per second billing + unlimited text messaging + caller ID + voicemail + no system access fees all for $22 a month. Never over $25 including tax. Could have added unlimited browsing for $7 more.

There are decent plans out there, but don't expect to get them without some research.

EDIT: Forgot free incoming calls, thats a biggie
Wow that's a great plan, which company is this from? Contract or no contract?

Old 08-26-2009 at 01:41 PM   #55
niteskie
Elite Member

I emailed someone about the plan that supposedly expired for Mcmaster students/employees and apparently I can still get it.

It is:

$17.25 per month for 200 anytime local minutes
$4.75 system access fee and 911
total $22 per month
free activation
free 200 anytime local minutes
free evenings and weekends from 6 pm - 8 am
10 cents per minute long distance in Canada
free message centre
free call display
Old 08-26-2009 at 01:43 PM   #56
Juicebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternHeat View Post
Wow that's a great plan, which company is this from? Contract or no contract?
3 year contract.
It doesn't matter which company it is from because none of them offer anything close to this on their websites.
You need to look around in-store and see if they have an insane promo. The store I got it from had the promo almost hidden out back.
Some stores are desperate for business and the employees would love to put you on a contract, use that to your advantage, and maybe haggle a little (it helps if a feature you want is offered for less with another carrier).
Old 08-26-2009 at 01:46 PM   #57
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
3 year contract.
It doesn't matter which company it is from because none of them offer anything close to this on their websites.
You need to look around in-store and see if they have an insane promo. The store I got it from had the promo almost hidden out back.
Some stores are desperate for business and the employees would love to put you on a contract, use that to your advantage, and maybe haggle a little (it helps if a feature you want is offered for less with another carrier).
Which company did you get it from though?

Old 08-26-2009 at 02:06 PM   #58
Juicebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternHeat View Post
Which company did you get it from though?
Bell

Lol, message to short to post, well, you are reading filler.
Old 08-26-2009 at 02:13 PM   #59
niteskie
Elite Member

Is a plan that includes text messages necessary?
Old 08-26-2009 at 02:16 PM   #60
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Bell

Lol, message to short to post, well, you are reading filler.
LOL haha...and Bell wow I donno I've heard bad stuff about Bell. Actually my first cell phone was from Bell a long time ago, I never went back...I've tried Telus, Rogers, and Koodo....Rogers and Koodo are better, thus far.